Author Topic: Quarantine Reading List?  (Read 18380 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Quarantine Reading List?
« on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:42 am »
Are you isolating/quarantining yourself during the current pandemic? Are you using this time to catch up on reading? Do have a goal - a certain number of books to read? Of course, if you have school-age kids at home with you, you might have less time to read rather than more.

We don't have a feature for April yet - would it be creepy-slash-morbid to feature plagues/quarantines and the like for April? As mystery readers I'm guessing at least a few of us have a quirky sense of humor.

The New York Times beat me to this idea: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/books/coronavirus-reading.html

https://ew.com/books/quaran-reads-8-books-about-pandemics-coronavirus/

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-a-coronavirus-quarantine-reading-list-the-15-best-apocalyptic-books-1.8659385

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quarantine Reading List?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 01:49:10 am »
Are you isolating/quarantining yourself during the current pandemic? Are you using this time to catch up on reading? Do have a goal - a certain number of books to read? Of course, if you have school-age kids at home with you, you might have less time to read rather than more.

We don't have a feature for April yet - would it be creepy-slash-morbid to feature plagues/quarantines and the like for April? As mystery readers I'm guessing at least a few of us have a quirky sense of humor.

The New York Times beat me to this idea: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/books/coronavirus-reading.html

https://ew.com/books/quaran-reads-8-books-about-pandemics-coronavirus/

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-a-coronavirus-quarantine-reading-list-the-15-best-apocalyptic-books-1.8659385

I'm trying to find a book I remember reading years ago - maybe in the 1990s, maybe after 2000. It's fiction, and as a recall it involves archaeologists digging up plague graves on Blackheath in London and releasing live spores of the plague into modern day London.

Haven't found it yet, but I'm discovering some interesting books:

https://www.abebooks.com/books/science-fiction-blindness-saramago/plague-books.shtml

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35477888-the-last-hours

FYI, apparently Netflix is showing all kinds of plague-related movies. Not for me...

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 03:53:46 am »
I still have to go to work or I don't get paid. If I don't get paid, I don't have a home. But I'm mainly avoiding other people otherwise.

My reading list is just the book I'm in the midst of already and then I'll start reading the ARCs I got in the mail a couple days back.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:10:16 am »
I still have to go to work or I don't get paid. If I don't get paid, I don't have a home. But I'm mainly avoiding other people otherwise.

My reading list is just the book I'm in the midst of already and then I'll start reading the ARCs I got in the mail a couple days back.

My daughter is in the same boat. She works for a boutique hotel here in Eugene. It's almost always fully booked but ever since the whole coronavirus thing started, they've had lots of people cancelling. Yesterday all the valet staff and a large part of the housekeeping staff was laid off. Hopefully the hotel won't shut down. My daughter has applied for other jobs but in this climate, no one is hiring. If she can't make rent, she won't have a place to live. Hopefully she'll still have a job, but even under the best circumstances she's unlikely to be scheduled for a full shift.

Scary times!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 10:06:52 am »

I'm going for comfort reads. I just finished re-reading The Rose in Darkness by Christianna Brand. Brand is one of my favourites--I don't think anyone could beat her for plot reversals.

Now I'm reading Christie's Five Little Pigs, for the third time, just to see how she did it. And then I'm going on to Peril at End House.

I also have an early copy of The Red Locked Room, a collection of locked-room stories by Tetsuya Ayukawa, and I'm reading those in between chapters of Christie...

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 10:27:53 am »
By the way, "Admin" above is Brian Skupin who forgot his user name...

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 12:47:09 pm »

I'm going for comfort reads. I just finished re-reading The Rose in Darkness by Christianna Brand. Brand is one of my favourites--I don't think anyone could beat her for plot reversals.

Now I'm reading Christie's Five Little Pigs, for the third time, just to see how she did it. And then I'm going on to Peril at End House.

I also have an early copy of The Red Locked Room, a collection of locked-room stories by Tetsuya Ayukawa, and I'm reading those in between chapters of Christie...

FIVE LITTLE PIGS is a favorite of mine. Maybe it's time for a reread...

Do you have A.A. Milne's THE RED HOUSE MYSTERY on your locked room mystery list? Yes, that's the author of Winnie-the-Pooh. He only wrote the one mystery but it's a good one!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 06:46:27 pm »
Besides mystery and thrillers, I'm also a comic book fan.

I picked up the first issue of a new comic series called The Resistance. It's written by J. Michael Straczynski, the creator of the TV show Babylon 5. What I didn't realize is that it opens with the telling of a global pandemic breaking out and eventually killing 400 million people.

OOPS! Really not the story I wanted to read right now, even though it is a well told opening chapter.

My comfort reading otherwise was some new Star Wars comics before I dig into a new mystery novel tomorrow.

CarlaZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 02:22:34 pm »
I have piles of books I haven't read yet but all the stress from the pandemic is putting me in the mood for comfort reading. I've restarted Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco novels set in the first century AD Roman Empire. The first one is SILVER PIGS and it's a rollicking good PI novel as well as a touching, funny love story. There's a trip to Roman Britain and much Roman pageantry and raucous living in the Aventine.

Lindsey Davis has a sophisticated take on the political as well as the administrative details of empire, perhaps a legacy of her work in Britain's civil service. It's a view from the trenches of a couple thousand years ago.

This is a long series so there won't be any lack of reading in the foreseeable future. I hope everyone here is safe and taking solace from a good book.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 07:19:10 pm »
Carla,

Yes, I just found out today that I'm going to be out of work for an extra four weeks as Massachusetts has extended their stay-at-home advisory and business closures order until May.

So it would appear that I'm going to have even more time to read than I thought.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 07:25:57 am »
I'm trying to get some freelancing work done from home (I usually work from home, so that's not an issue) while homeschooling our five-year-old as the schools are all shut as part of the lockdown in the UK (I'm a Kiwi living in London).

I also have a huge pile of several dozen New Zealand crime novels - some brilliant, some good/very good, some alright, others not so much - that are entries in this year's Ngaio Marsh Awards. I'm helping with the longlisting process before the international judging panel consider the longlist and choose finalists and winners. I'm breaking up that 'have to' reading (some of which is very enjoyable, nonetheless) with a few other books.

Recently read the beguiling, unusual THE AOSAWA MURDERS by Riku Onda (translation of the winner of 2006 Mystery Writers of Japan prize for Best Novel).

Really enjoyed FIFTY-FIFTY by Steve Cavanagh, the fifth novel in his excellent and CWA Gold Dagger-winning Eddie Flynn series (out later this year).

ASH MOUNTAIN by Helen Fitzgerald, a new Australian-set novel from a Glasgow-based Australian author was terrific. 

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 07:05:36 pm »
Carla,

Yes, I just found out today that I'm going to be out of work for an extra four weeks as Massachusetts has extended their stay-at-home advisory and business closures order until May.

So it would appear that I'm going to have even more time to read than I thought.

I'm dividing my time between reading, watching TV (embarrassed to admit this) and playing online. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:01 pm »
Carla,

I'm dividing my time between reading, watching TV (embarrassed to admit this) and playing online. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Why would you be embarrassed to admit watching TV? Speaking as a TV Junkie, I watch a lot of TV to begin with. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 03:02:50 am »
Carla,

I just always feel like I should be doing something constructive - or else I should be reading a mystery.

Why would you be embarrassed to admit watching TV? Speaking as a TV Junkie, I watch a lot of TV to begin with. I don't see anything wrong with this.

ocogdill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 11:55:43 am »
The mystery genre is very suited for those of us in isolation. Check out our Mystery Scene blog on April 4 for some ideas