Author Topic: Mystery Movies for Self-Quarantine  (Read 35661 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Movies for Self-Quarantine
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 01:30:03 pm »
Have any of you read this book? I'm intrigued!

https://earlybirdbooks.com/one-of-the-best-mystery-novels-2018-stuart-turton

Kia ora (hi) Becke. I've read that book - one of my favourites of that year. I actually interviewed Stuart (one of his very first media interviews) at an eatery by the Thames River in London before the book came out. I think I reviewed the book for Mystery Scene when it came out in the USA later in the year. You can read my interview with Stu, who's an interesting guy, from a New Zealand newspaper here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=12000558

I haven't read Stuart's book yet but it's on my wish list. How cool that you got to interview him!

By the way, congratulations to your country for being the first (as far as I'm aware) to get control of the coronavirus. One of my relatives - a healthy young guy - just came down with it after partying with a few friends last week. I hope no one else in the family gets it! (I live a couple thousand miles from them, so my grandkids and my immediate family are a safe distance away.)

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2020, 05:58:25 pm »
Today I saw the Netflix film Enola Holmes. It's based off the young adult series and I have to say that I completely enjoyed it.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 04:15:24 pm »
Today I saw the Netflix film Enola Holmes. It's based off the young adult series and I have to say that I completely enjoyed it.

I haven't seen that yet but I'm looking forward to it. Last night we watched an old Miss Marple starring the wonderful Joan Hickson. The movie we saw is A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED, a favorite of mine.

I also discovered a new series. Well, the series isn't new but I'd never seen it before. It's called PIE IN THE SKY and I always thought it was a British comedy. It's a mystery and after seeing just two episodes, I'm looking forward to watching more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7KNUnJF4o

From Wikipedia: "Pie in the Sky is a light-hearted British police drama starring Richard Griffiths and Maggie Steed, created by Andrew Payne and first broadcast in five series on BBC1 between 13 March 1994 and 17 August 1997 as well as being syndicated on other channels in other countries, including the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. The series differs from other police dramas in that the protagonist, Henry Crabbe, while still being an on-duty, "semi-retired" policeman (much against his will), is the head chef of the title restaurant set in the town of Middleton and county of Westershire."

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2020, 03:51:37 am »
My mom loved that PIE IN THE SKY series. She had the complete series on DVD. After she passed, her DVD collection became mine and while I haven't watched the series yet, I do have it saved so that I can do so at some point.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2020, 02:37:23 pm »
I'm going to look up PIE IN THE SKY, I had no idea it was a crime show.

Brian and I enjoyed ENOLA HOLMES on Netflix. Millie Bobbie Brown (STRANGER THINGS) is very appealing as Enola, and the rest of cast including Helen Bonham Carter as her mother and Henry Cavill as her older brother Sherlock was great. Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes series (I believe there are six books) is charming as well. It would be a great holiday gift for a graduate from Nancy Drew.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now my husband and I are bingeing on New Tricks, and periodically watching PIE IN THE SKY for a change of pace. I like it because it's a lighter mystery, like a cozy. I'm not ready for gloom and doom right now.

We'll start soon with ENOLA HOLMES - it sounds good!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:06:48 pm by Becke Davis »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:20 pm »
My mom loved that PIE IN THE SKY series. She had the complete series on DVD. After she passed, her DVD collection became mine and while I haven't watched the series yet, I do have it saved so that I can do so at some point.

How lucky you are to have the whole series! We've only watched two episodes so far, but my husband and I liked them both. It's making him crave steak and kidney pie!

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:47 am »
I need something new to watch. It sounds like Enola Holmes might be a good one. Thanks!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2020, 06:43:25 am »
I need something new to watch. It sounds like Enola Holmes might be a good one. Thanks!

Let us know what you think of the movie when you see it!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2020, 12:27:09 am »

Let us know what you think of the movie when you see it!

My husband and I watched Enola Holmes last night and we both really enjoyed it. Great cast!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2020, 08:22:55 am »

My husband and I watched Enola Holmes last night and we both really enjoyed it. Great cast!

Since I haven't had a chance to see a lot of movies released in 2020, my annual Top 10 list has barely enough movies to fill out the slots. I'm thinking of cutting it down to a Top 5 since some of the ones I did see weren't that good either. But I do know that Enola Holmes is at the top of the list.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2020, 09:30:36 pm »
I hope there will be more Enola Holmes movies. I would also LOVE to see a series based on Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce books. I love Flavia!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2020, 04:09:42 am »
The first Enola Holmes movie has been successful, so I'm sure they are planning to do more. I haven't seen any news about it but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one or two more.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2020, 05:45:49 pm »
The first Enola Holmes movie has been successful, so I'm sure they are planning to do more. I haven't seen any news about it but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one or two more.

I hope you're right!