Author Topic: Mystery Movies for Self-Quarantine  (Read 35554 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Mystery Movies for Self-Quarantine
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 12:33:37 pm »
Has anyone watched PERSON OF INTEREST? I really loved that show, the writing was so sharp and the depiction of the surveillance state was chilling. It started out as a crime show but really evolved into a sci-fi thriller type of show. Jim Caviezel was a great hero. Any other fans out there?

My mother watched the show when it first started. I never really got into that much but there was one episode that I really enjoyed. It was Season 3 Episode 5 "Razgovor" where Shaw ends up watching over and bonding with a little Russian girl who is really good at her own brand of espionage.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 12:04:56 am »
Has anyone watched PERSON OF INTEREST? I really loved that show, the writing was so sharp and the depiction of the surveillance state was chilling. It started out as a crime show but really evolved into a sci-fi thriller type of show. Jim Caviezel was a great hero. Any other fans out there?

My mother watched the show when it first started. I never really got into that much but there was one episode that I really enjoyed. It was Season 3 Episode 5 "Razgovor" where Shaw ends up watching over and bonding with a little Russian girl who is really good at her own brand of espionage.

My husband watched this from the beginning. I got interested late in the game but I did like it.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 05:07:57 am »

I had forgotten all about NUMB3RS - loved that one! I also really liked one called LIE TO ME. I wish they'd show repeat of that one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_to_Me

Ah yes, Tim Roth was excellent in that show. I think Amazon Prime has some seasons available to watch free - they did a few months ago, anyway, I remember. Good show.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 12:59:45 pm »

I had forgotten all about NUMB3RS - loved that one! I also really liked one called LIE TO ME. I wish they'd show repeat of that one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_to_Me

Ah yes, Tim Roth was excellent in that show. I think Amazon Prime has some seasons available to watch free - they did a few months ago, anyway, I remember. Good show.

Oh, good! I'll search for episodes of Lie to Me tonight. I've seen them all, but it's been awhile.

CarlaZ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 02:14:03 pm »
I'm a huge fan of the MISS FISHER MYSTERIES starring Essie Davis. I've seen all the previous shows but there's a new movie coming out called MISS  FISHER AND THE CRYPT OF TEARS on Acorn. Has anyone seen this yet? I'm mulling over whether to subscribe to Acorn to watch it. I already have Netflix so I'm not sure it's worth it.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 09:13:10 pm »
I've been thinking of checking out the Miss Fisher Mysteries but I haven't taken the plunge just yet. I'm glad to see you enjoy the show Carla.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 01:28:10 am »
I'm a huge fan of the MISS FISHER MYSTERIES starring Essie Davis. I've seen all the previous shows but there's a new movie coming out called MISS  FISHER AND THE CRYPT OF TEARS on Acorn. Has anyone seen this yet? I'm mulling over whether to subscribe to Acorn to watch it. I already have Netflix so I'm not sure it's worth it.

I saw the Miss Fisher movie. I thought it was pretty good but I like the show better.

I've read a couple of the books, and I thought they were even better than the TV show.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 04:21:09 pm »
There's another Miss Fisher series starring (if I remember correctly) her niece. It's set in the Sixties and I love the clothes! Not as good as the original but I still enjoyed it. I liked the Miss Fisher movie, too.

I love the Miss Fisher books and was surprised that some aspects of the books were very different from the TV show. (I shouldn't have been surprised - TV shows hardly ever stick to the books they're based on.)

Good luck finding them, though. I went to Barnes & Noble in search of the books, assuming they'd have a big display since they were sponsoring the TV show. The sales clerk gave me a blank look - she didn't recognize the author's name (and Kerry Greenwood doesn't just write Miss Fisher mysteries) but she didn't know B&N was a sponsor of the show. I checked old and new bookstores as well as online bookstores, but it still took me over a year to complete my collection. Now I'm eagerly awaiting another book in this series.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 01:49:22 am »
My husband and I watched a corny but fun movie tonight, starring Peter Falk with an all-star cast. The movie is THE CHEAP DETECTIVE, and it's a mash-up of THE MALTESE FALCON, CLUE and in parts it even reminded me of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. It is along the lines of KNIVES OUT, but even cornier.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2020, 02:27:30 pm »
Now that they are charging for Poirot episodes, I've been trying to find free alternatives.

My husband and I searched "Josephine Tey" and didn't find anything on Netflix or others, but we DID find THE FRANCHISE AFFAIR on Youtube. It was 6 episodes, about 25 minutes each, starring a very young Patrick Malahyde. Inspector Grant, Tey's usual detective, plays a part, but he is by no means the main character. We enjoyed this a lot. Note: The background music reminded us of the music used on the old B/W episodes of The Avengers, kind of eerie.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 03:54:08 am »
I've been rewatching NYPD Blue on DVD lately but no movies.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 04:01:51 pm »

Are you a fan of the Golden Age author, Josephine Tey? Her most famous book is probably BRAT FARRAR. I found this serialized on YouTube - I thought it was very well done.

Part One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4fGtCVK5jc

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 03:49:49 am »

Are you a fan of the Golden Age author, Josephine Tey? Her most famous book is probably BRAT FARRAR. I found this serialized on YouTube - I thought it was very well done.

Part One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4fGtCVK5jc

Thanks for the link. I can't say that I've read any of Tey's work before. But I will try to watch the included link as soon as I can.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 01:54:47 pm »
THE FRANCHISE AFFAIR was the first Tey book I ever read. This adaptation is also really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h1munqxPbE

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 01:50:08 am »
I really enjoyed TO DIE FOR (1995) a thriller starring Nicole Kidman and directed by Gus Van Sant. Kidman plays a none too bright but relentlessly ambitious aspiring TV personality with a penchant for taking shortcuts. It's a great cast: Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix, Casey Affleck, Ileana Douglas. The ending is perfectly excecuted.

How about everyone else? What should we be renting/streaming while we're all self-isolating?

I remember that movie. Isn't that the one where Nicole Kidman is a weather girl? Weather person?