Author Topic: Mystery Movies for Self-Quarantine  (Read 35664 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mystery Movies for Self-Quarantine
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:21:37 pm »
None of us have symptoms of coronavirus, but my granddaughters both have colds and I have a nasty respiratory tract infection, so we're all self-quarantining here. I'm just groggy enough that it's hard to focus on reading. :-(

Marty and I have been looking for mystery movies to watch, including a lot of old episodes of SILENT WITNESS. Last night we watched the new episode of Agatha Christie's THE PALE HORSE with Rufus Sewell. He's a good actor but the episode was disappointing. It wasn't far off from the book, but they approached a lot of the key incidents in a roundabout manner that took a lot away from the story.

Afterwards, we decided to watch the Geraldine MacEwan version (with the fabulous Pauline Collins) and while I don't really like MacEwan as Miss Marple, I did prefer that version to the newer one. (So did Marty.)

Have any of you seen any British or British-type mystery movies that you'd recommend?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Movies for Self-Quarantine
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 01:57:21 am »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 02:39:14 am »

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 10:16:18 am »
I really enjoyed TO DIE FOR (1995) a thriller starring Nicole Kidman and directed by Gus Van Sant. Kidman plays a none too bright but relentlessly ambitious aspiring TV personality with a penchant for taking shortcuts. It's a great cast: Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix, Casey Affleck, Ileana Douglas. The ending is perfectly excecuted.

How about everyone else? What should we be renting/streaming while we're all self-isolating?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 12:49:26 pm »
I really enjoyed TO DIE FOR (1995) a thriller starring Nicole Kidman and directed by Gus Van Sant. Kidman plays a none too bright but relentlessly ambitious aspiring TV personality with a penchant for taking shortcuts. It's a great cast: Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix, Casey Affleck, Ileana Douglas. The ending is perfectly excecuted.

How about everyone else? What should we be renting/streaming while we're all self-isolating?

Speaking of Nicole Kidman, have you seen MALICE? It stars Kidman, Alec Baldwin and Cloris Leachman. It's brilliant!

Another favorite mystery - CHARADE, with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

AgathaC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 01:09:49 pm »
Knives Out is available to rent on Apple TV right now for $6.00. Also on Youtube for $6.00.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 06:49:17 pm »
I haven't watched many mystery movies lately. I've been watching a lot of comfort food type movies. Nothing too challenging and nothing all that particularly great.

I am thinking of seeing 1917 because I wanted to see it when it originally came out but never got around to it.

And I'm also considering watching some of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies that are available for free on On Demand.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 01:13:00 am »
Knives Out is available to rent on Apple TV right now for $6.00. Also on Youtube for $6.00.

I loved this, especially Daniel Craig. Love him as Bond, too.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 05:43:47 am »

I loved this, especially Daniel Craig. Love him as Bond, too.

I've loved Daniel Craig as James Bond too!

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 07:08:45 am »
Have any of you read this book? I'm intrigued!

https://earlybirdbooks.com/one-of-the-best-mystery-novels-2018-stuart-turton

Kia ora (hi) Becke. I've read that book - one of my favourites of that year. I actually interviewed Stuart (one of his very first media interviews) at an eatery by the Thames River in London before the book came out. I think I reviewed the book for Mystery Scene when it came out in the USA later in the year. You can read my interview with Stu, who's an interesting guy, from a New Zealand newspaper here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=12000558

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:46 am »

As much as I'd like to try some new series I haven't yet seen, I've found myself returning to old favourites a little during these anxious and uncertain times. So in the past week I've watched some episodes of NYPD Blue (had watched some but not all of series), and re-watched episodes from Grimm and Numb3rs, among others. I'm looking forward to the new season of Bosch, although that's not available for another couple of weeks yet.

Hope everyone is doing alright, wherever you are in the world.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 10:02:13 am »

As much as I'd like to try some new series I haven't yet seen, I've found myself returning to old favourites a little during these anxious and uncertain times. So in the past week I've watched some episodes of NYPD Blue (had watched some but not all of series), and re-watched episodes from Grimm and Numb3rs, among others. I'm looking forward to the new season of Bosch, although that's not available for another couple of weeks yet.

Craig, I am a huge fan of NYPD Blue and own all 12 seasons on DVD. Can't get enough.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 07:03:30 pm »
Have any of you read this book? I'm intrigued!

https://earlybirdbooks.com/one-of-the-best-mystery-novels-2018-stuart-turton

Kia ora (hi) Becke. I've read that book - one of my favourites of that year. I actually interviewed Stuart (one of his very first media interviews) at an eatery by the Thames River in London before the book came out. I think I reviewed the book for Mystery Scene when it came out in the USA later in the year. You can read my interview with Stu, who's an interesting guy, from a New Zealand newspaper here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=12000558

Newbie jumping in here. Just read your awesome review - Quantum Leap meets Groundhog Day with a touch of Agatha Christie? I'm in! Do you know if they ever made a movie of this, or a TV show?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 12:43:59 am »

Craig, I am a huge fan of NYPD Blue and own all 12 seasons on DVD. Can't get enough.

I had forgotten all about NUMB3RS - loved that one! I also really liked one called LIE TO ME. I wish they'd show repeat of that one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_to_Me

CarlaZ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 08:02:18 am »
Has anyone watched PERSON OF INTEREST? I really loved that show, the writing was so sharp and the depiction of the surveillance state was chilling. It started out as a crime show but really evolved into a sci-fi thriller type of show. Jim Caviezel was a great hero. Any other fans out there?