Author Topic: March Feature: Mysteries in or about Ireland (and Scotland, too)  (Read 28121 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: March Feature: Mysteries in or about Ireland (and Scotland, too)
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2020, 04:29:27 pm »
Sounds like a plan.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:21 pm »
I've got few Irish or Scottish-themed books in my TBR pile that I was hoping to get around to reading this month, but it has been a total failure on my part in that regard.

I have at least 3 more in my pile, too. I'm just starting Molly MacRae's SCONES AND SCOUNDRELS. It's been in my TBR pile for awhile, and I'm in the mood for it today. I'm hoping to read one or more Scottish/Irish mystery before the end of the month.

But once we start these features, we don't have to cut them off just because we come to the end of the month. If you come across a good book that fits with any of our features, come back and tell us about it.

People who are new to the forum are welcome to add to any thread at any time.

As I started reading this, I thought it was very familiar. After reading about 50 pages, I started going through my bookcase. Sure enough, I already have it - and had already read it. I wish I was better at remembering titles!

I also miss Shelfari!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 09:33:03 am »
I haven't had many instances where I started reading a book and realized that I've already read it before.

I keep a list of what I've read by authors so if it is on the list, I know I've already read it.

These days I have very little chance to re-read stuff so that helps cut down on any mistakes on my part.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 04:24:55 pm »
I haven't had many instances where I started reading a book and realized that I've already read it before.

I keep a list of what I've read by authors so if it is on the list, I know I've already read it.

These days I have very little chance to re-read stuff so that helps cut down on any mistakes on my part.

This has happened to me many times. And since I buy new and used books, I also end up with duplicates on my shelves more than I would like. I used to keep track of the books I've read at Barnes & Noble, until they shut that site down. After that I spent a long time creating an account on Shelfari and making it as comprehensive as possible. It was VERY frustrating when that site shut down. I need to come up with my own personal book-tracking database but I haven't done that yet.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 04:31:17 pm »
I've been trying to read as many of the books in my to-be-read pile that fit in with our March feature. I just finished MURDER IN AN IRISH VILLAGE by Carlene O'Connor. There are several other books in this series and I think I might have a couple of them around here someplace.

I'm glad there is a pronunciation guide as well as a glossary at the front of the book. I know how to pronounce some Irish names but there are a lot more where I haven't got a clue. It slowed me down a little to have to mentally stop and remind myself how some of the names in this book were pronounced. Normally I have to check with friends in England - their son married an Irish girl and their grandchildren have VERY Irish names. They are my go-to translators!

My parents had very good friends named O'Mahoney (pronounced Oh-MA-hunny) and the whole family also had very Irish names. They were my first introduction to Irish pronunciations.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 05:54:12 pm »
I've been trying to read as many of the books in my to-be-read pile that fit in with our March feature. I just finished MURDER IN AN IRISH VILLAGE by Carlene O'Connor. There are several other books in this series and I think I might have a couple of them around here someplace.

I'm glad there is a pronunciation guide as well as a glossary at the front of the book. I know how to pronounce some Irish names but there are a lot more where I haven't got a clue. It slowed me down a little to have to mentally stop and remind myself how some of the names in this book were pronounced. Normally I have to check with friends in England - their son married an Irish girl and their grandchildren have VERY Irish names. They are my go-to translators!

My parents had very good friends named O'Mahoney (pronounced Oh-MA-hunny) and the whole family also had very Irish names. They were my first introduction to Irish pronunciations.

That's a great book and series. One of my favorites. I recently read MURDER IN AN IRISH PUB, the most recent one to come out in paperback and it was another winning read.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 01:26:24 am »
I've read all of Tana French's books.  I especially liked The Witch Elm and Faithful Place. I've never been to Ireland but it would be fun to visit if I ever strike it rich.

I also like Nora Roberts, especially her Irish books. I like Josephine Tey's books with the detective Alan Grant. I remember I liked The Singing Sands a lot.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2020, 05:42:48 am »
I've read all of Tana French's books.  I especially liked The Witch Elm and Faithful Place. I've never been to Ireland but it would be fun to visit if I ever strike it rich.

I haven't read any of Tana French's books. Did you watch the Dublin Murder Squad series they made for the Starz channel? They are doing a free preview of the network on my cable system this week and I was thinking of checking it out.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2020, 07:14:47 pm »

I haven't read any of Tana French's books. Did you watch the Dublin Murder Squad series they made for the Starz channel? They are doing a free preview of the network on my cable system this week and I was thinking of checking it out.

I watched the first couple episodes but didn't like it enough to follow the whole season.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2020, 08:15:46 pm »

I watched the first couple episodes but didn't like it enough to follow the whole season.

Thanks for the information.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 03:44:19 pm »

I also like Nora Roberts, especially her Irish books. I like Josephine Tey's books with the detective Alan Grant. I remember I liked The Singing Sands a lot.

My favorite is probably her most famous, IN THE WOODS. THE SECRET PLACE is also a good one.