Author Topic: Backward books?  (Read 11667 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Backward books?
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:23:32 pm »
I'm kind of addicted to HGTV's fixer-upper-type shows. It bugs me that when the designers actually put books on display in the redecorated house, they almost always display them with the binding facing the wall. They do this whether the books are stacked on a table or in a bookcase, whether the books are old and worn or newish, with shiny dust jackets.

I don't know if there is a reason for this (if so, WHAT? I'll go search Google in a minute) or if they don't want to introduce different color books that might clash with their design. What do you all think of this trend?

From Google:

https://www.today.com/home/backward-books-shelves-controversial-home-decor-trend-t119006

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstein/omg-people-why-would-you-ever-do-this-to-books?
utm_term=.ooRXeP9yq#.edb2r3azZ

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article206003969.html

Wow, evidently this has stirred up a maelstrom! https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5273879/Backwards-books-lifestyle-blogger-threatened-online.html

https://bookriot.com/2018/01/12/reasons-to-shelve-your-books-backward/

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Backward books?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 02:32:37 pm »
Hey Becky,
I'm addicted to HGTV shows, too. The backwards books on a bookshelf look is all over the place on these shows. I get that the neutral palette "works" with the many designs but honestly, could anything be dumber? I can't find books that are shelved the correct way, let alone backwards...

You know the show I'd love to see? "My Home Library" with libraries incorporated into everyday homes.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 02:42:08 pm »
Hey Becky,
I'm addicted to HGTV shows, too. The backwards books on a bookshelf look is all over the place on these shows. I get that the neutral palette "works" with the many designs but honestly, could anything be dumber? I can't find books that are shelved the correct way, let alone backwards...

You know the show I'd love to see? "My Home Library" with libraries incorporated into everyday homes.

I would love that, too. B&N, back in the day, ran some interview videos online where they talked to people who had thousands of books. It was fascinating to see their collections!

CarlaZ

• View Profile
What's your home library like?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 10:57:24 am »
I just love my home library. It has comfortable wing chairs, cozy rugs, a northern exposure (not too much sunlight on books), and yards and yards of built-in white shelves just packed with books -- and some magazines :) THere's usually a pot of tea or a glass of wine on a side table.  There's a radio and stereo system but no TV. The only thing it lacks is a fireplace but realistically that's a lot of work to keep clean.

Over the past week, I've been organizing my books more coherently. I may try alphabetizing although that's a huge job.

How about you guys? What's your home library or reading area like and how is it organized? Has anyone used a software program to take inventory? If so, what one and what did you think?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's your home library like?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 12:43:14 pm »
I just love my home library. It has comfortable wing chairs, cozy rugs, a northern exposure (not too much sunlight on books), and yards and yards of built-in white shelves just packed with books -- and some magazines :) THere's usually a pot of tea or a glass of wine on a side table.  There's a radio and stereo system but no TV. The only thing it lacks is a fireplace but realistically that's a lot of work to keep clean.

Over the past week, I've been organizing my books more coherently. I may try alphabetizing although that's a huge job.

How about you guys? What's your home library or reading area like and how is it organized? Has anyone used a software program to take inventory? If so, what one and what did you think?

Your reading area sounds fabulous! I have wall-to-wall books but, sadly, no built-in bookcases. I'd love built-ins and a cozy reading nook - I love the look of window seats, but don't think they'd be comfortable for reading. I have one bookcase dedicated to Agatha Christie. Beyond that, I have shelves organized by author and by genre. I like the idea of taking inventory - maybe one day!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 06:53:10 pm »
I have a book case in my room and in the living room. Plus a couple of shelves in one of the spare bedrooms.

They are generally organized solely by the authors I want to have on the shelves. They aren't alphabetized by authors but whichever ones are on a shelf see all the books in order of publication.

The shelves in the living room contain some of my mom and dad's books, but I'm slowly weeding those out. As I empty a shelf, I pick an author to dedicate a shelf for their work.

I don't have a designated reading area in terms of decking out a room or anything. I do most of my reading either sitting on the couch in the living room or laying on my bed.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:43 am »
I have a book case in my room and in the living room. Plus a couple of shelves in one of the spare bedrooms.

They are generally organized solely by the authors I want to have on the shelves. They aren't alphabetized by authors but whichever ones are on a shelf see all the books in order of publication.

The shelves in the living room contain some of my mom and dad's books, but I'm slowly weeding those out. As I empty a shelf, I pick an author to dedicate a shelf for their work.

I don't have a designated reading area in terms of decking out a room or anything. I do most of my reading either sitting on the couch in the living room or laying on my bed.

I read in bed a lot, too. I'd love to get an old-fashioned leather comfy reading chair one day.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 05:39:56 am »

I read in bed a lot, too. I'd love to get an old-fashioned leather comfy reading chair one day.

My grandfather had a leather recliner that I loved to sit in when I was a kid. I don't know how it would work out for me today if I had one of those chairs. I'm so used to the spots I read in now.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 06:55:18 pm »

My grandfather had a leather recliner that I loved to sit in when I was a kid. I don't know how it would work out for me today if I had one of those chairs. I'm so used to the spots I read in now.

I saw a chair that looked perfect for cozy reading - it was in Pottery Barn. It also cost around $1600, so unless I come into an unexpected fortune, it won't be coming to my house.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:58 pm »

I saw a chair that looked perfect for cozy reading - it was in Pottery Barn. It also cost around $1600, so unless I come into an unexpected fortune, it won't be coming to my house.

Yeah, definitely not coming to my house either at that price.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 03:48:02 pm »
Are any of you on Pinterest? I have a board with reading chairs there, and lots of other book-related boards.

https://www.pinterest.com/beckedavis/