Author Topic: Murder in the Monastery by Lesley Cookman  (Read 7554 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Murder in the Monastery by Lesley Cookman
« on: February 23, 2020, 10:43:35 am »
I just finished MURDER IN THE MONASTERY by Lesley Cookman - a Libby Sarjeant Murder Mystery. It was the first book I read in this series, although I don't think it is #1 in the series. I often read books out of order, and I picked this one because the image on the cover reminded me of Tintern Abbey in South Wales. The ruins of Tintern are very photogenic (my husband and I visited the Abbey ruins several times back in the 1970s) but, sadly, when I Googled Tintern Abbey, the images did not match the image on the book cover. I didn't see a cover art credit so I'll need to do more image seaches to track this down.

The book covers in this series (all of which are included in thumbprint-size photos on the back of the book) are kind of dark, but this book had the "feel" of a cozy.  I'm going to keep an eye out for more books by this author.

I just started THE TRANSCENDENTAL MURDER by the late Jane Langton. It's book #1 in the Homer Kelly series. Now that I've read and liked a couple of the Homer Kelly books, I wanted to go back and see what I've missed. I got a kick out of the beginning, where Home and his wife meet for the first time.  I might finish this book today!

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Murder in the Monastery by Lesley Cookman
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 10:53:58 am »
Thanks for the tip, I'll look up the book to see if it is something I'd be interested in reading.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:58:36 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I'll look up the book to see if it is something I'd be interested in reading.

Debating whether to add a new topic for this:

I just finished THE TRANSCENDENTAL MURDER by Jane Langton. I really liked it. I've got a couple other books at the top of my TBR pile, but then I want to dive back into this series and read the rest.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:29:48 am »
I really love the drawings that Jane Langton contributed to the Homer Kelly series. We published some of them in Mystery Scene a few years back. She was really talented as both a writer and an artist.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 01:30:42 am »
I really love the drawings that Jane Langton contributed to the Homer Kelly series. We published some of them in Mystery Scene a few years back. She was really talented as both a writer and an artist.

Her line drawings remind me of James Thurber's line drawings, although his were funny and hers are more detailed.