Author Topic: Winter 2020 Issue #163  (Read 16439 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Winter 2020 Issue #163
« on: February 20, 2020, 07:39:18 pm »
The new issue was released this week and it is the first one under the new quarterly publication schedule.

What did you like best about the magazine?

I just picked it up tonight so I haven't yet gotten to read the issue. But I've got three reviews printed in the issue as well as my contribution to the Fave Raves article.

The first two reviews have been posted online too.

Matthew Quirk's HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN - https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article/26-reviews/books/6780-hour-of-the-assassin

Michael Stanley's FACETS OF DEATH - https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article/26-reviews/books/6799-facets-of-death

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Winter 2020 Issue #163
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 10:50:37 pm »
The new issue was released this week and it is the first one under the new quarterly publication schedule.

I just picked it up tonight so I haven't yet gotten to read the issue. But I've got three reviews printed in the issue as well as my contribution to the Fave Raves article.

Matthew Quirk's HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN - https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article/26-reviews/books/6780-hour-of-the-assassin

Michael Stanley's FACETS OF DEATH - https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article/26-reviews/books/6799-facets-of-death

Wow! I just read your review of HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN and immediately added it to my wish list. Great review!

I've read a couple of books by Michael Stanley, but that was awhile ago. The prequel you reviewed sounds interesting. Your reviews are going to be expensive for me!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 03:52:28 am »

Wow! I just read your review of HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN and immediately added it to my wish list. Great review!

I've read a couple of books by Michael Stanley, but that was awhile ago. The prequel you reviewed sounds interesting. Your reviews are going to be expensive for me!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the review.

And I figure it is only fair that people go broke buying books that I review since I also go broke buying books when I read reviews from others too.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 02:47:37 pm »

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the review.

And I figure it is only fair that people go broke buying books that I review since I also go broke buying books when I read reviews from others too.

I guess it's to be expected when you're a bookaholic. I know I am, and it sounds like you're a bookaholic, too!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 07:04:12 pm »

I guess it's to be expected when you're a bookaholic. I know I am, and it sounds like you're a bookaholic, too!

Much to the detriment of my bank account, yes.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 12:31:59 am »

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 10:03:28 pm »
So that's the official diagnosis then? Damn, the problem is now identified.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 10:03:14 am »

I think HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN is a pre-order, but FACETS OF DEATH arrived yesterday. I have to start reading faster!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 10:51:10 am »
To keep up with everything we want to read, we'd have to be able to read a book a day every day forever.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 11:04:23 pm »
To keep up with everything we want to read, we'd have to be able to read a book a day every day forever.

We've either discovered the key to immortality or we'll eventually find out if it's true that "you can't take it with you!"

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 09:32:56 pm »

I think HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN is a pre-order, but FACETS OF DEATH arrived yesterday. I have to start reading faster!

I've had FACETS OF DEATH in my waiting-to-be-read pile since February, but I finally read it yesterday and now I want MORE! I love Kubu, I love the setting (I've been fond of the literary Botswana ever since reading THE FIRST LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY books), and I was fascinated by the plot. A local thrift shop with a huge library of used books has just reopened - I might venture out with my mask in place and see if I can find more books in this series there.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 09:34:18 am »

I've had FACETS OF DEATH in my waiting-to-be-read pile since February, but I finally read it yesterday and now I want MORE! I love Kubu, I love the setting (I've been fond of the literary Botswana ever since reading THE FIRST LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY books), and I was fascinated by the plot. A local thrift shop with a huge library of used books has just reopened - I might venture out with my mask in place and see if I can find more books in this series there.

I tried watching the TV series HBO did for The First Ladies Detective Agency but I couldn't get into it.

As for FACETS OF DEATH, I am glad that I read this book first because I likely would've skipped it had I been a reader of the series already. And that would've been my loss because I would've missed out on a great story.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 06:24:30 pm »
I was very interested in  Ben Boulden's column "Short and Sweet - Short Stories Considered." I hardly ever see short stories reviewed or recommended!

I also saved Oline's "Fave Raves of the Year." Luckily I've already read several of them, but a lot of others are now on my wish list.  I'll add my raves to Alafair Burke's THE BETTER SISTER, Laura Lippman's LADY IN THE LAKE, and Hank Phillippi Ryan's THE MURDER LIST.

And I can never get enough of Midsomer Murders!