Author Topic: Best Mystery/Crime Novel of the Decade  (Read 7879 times)

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
Best Mystery/Crime Novel of the Decade
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:07:25 am »
This week the nominations for the 2020 Barry Awards were released. The winners will be announced at Bouchercon later in the year.

Along with the usual 'Best Mystery/Crime', 'Best First Mystery/Crime', 'Best Paperback Original' and 'Best Thriller' categories, the Barry Awards are giving out a special award this year, the Best Mystery/Crime Novel of the Decade. The nominees are:

• GONE GIRL, Gillian Flynn (Crown)
    NOVEMBER ROAD, Lou Berney (William Morrow)
    SUSPECT, Robert Crais (Putnam)
    THE DRY,  Jane Harper (Flatiron)
    THE BLACK HOUSE, Peter May (Quercus)
    THE CARTEL, Don Winslow (Knopf)

What do you think of those six books representing the best mystery and crime writing of the 2010s?

I've been very involved in mystery/crime fiction all decade, as a reviewer for magazines and newspapers in several countries, awards judge in several countries, panel chair and festival organiser across three continents, etc. So I've read A LOT of mysteries (more than 1,000 novels that decade).

I'd struggle to pick six books to represent the decade - and there are always the 'favourites' vs 'best/greatest' kind of internal debates too. Having said that, I've read all six of those authors, and most but not all of those specific books. They are all very good/excellent.

I'd probably have a different list though - some of those and a few different choices. I'd find a way to have BLUEBIRD, BLUEBIRD by Attica Locke on there, for one example. Would mull on some others.

Curious as to what others here would have on their best of the decade...

Here's another list from Crime Reads (with a Top 10 selection, then a long long list of notable selections) to jog your memory as to some major crime novels of the past ten years: https://crimereads.com/the-10-best-crime-novels-of-the-last-decade/

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mystery/Crime Novel of the Decade
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 04:32:38 pm »
This week the nominations for the 2020 Barry Awards were released. The winners will be announced at Bouchercon later in the year.

Along with the usual 'Best Mystery/Crime', 'Best First Mystery/Crime', 'Best Paperback Original' and 'Best Thriller' categories, the Barry Awards are giving out a special award this year, the Best Mystery/Crime Novel of the Decade. The nominees are:

• GONE GIRL, Gillian Flynn (Crown)
    NOVEMBER ROAD, Lou Berney (William Morrow)
    SUSPECT, Robert Crais (Putnam)
    THE DRY,  Jane Harper (Flatiron)
    THE BLACK HOUSE, Peter May (Quercus)
    THE CARTEL, Don Winslow (Knopf)

What do you think of those six books representing the best mystery and crime writing of the 2010s?

I've been very involved in mystery/crime fiction all decade, as a reviewer for magazines and newspapers in several countries, awards judge in several countries, panel chair and festival organiser across three continents, etc. So I've read A LOT of mysteries (more than 1,000 novels that decade).

I'd struggle to pick six books to represent the decade - and there are always the 'favourites' vs 'best/greatest' kind of internal debates too. Having said that, I've read all six of those authors, and most but not all of those specific books. They are all very good/excellent.

I'd probably have a different list though - some of those and a few different choices. I'd find a way to have BLUEBIRD, BLUEBIRD by Attica Locke on there, for one example. Would mull on some others.

Curious as to what others here would have on their best of the decade...

Here's another list from Crime Reads (with a Top 10 selection, then a long long list of notable selections) to jog your memory as to some major crime novels of the past ten years: https://crimereads.com/the-10-best-crime-novels-of-the-last-decade/

I always have trouble with "best of" polls. This list is problematic for me because I've only read GONE GIRL out of that last. I often wait until books come out in paperback before I buy them, so I may well end up reading more of them before long. (I almost purchased DRY when it first came out but then reason kicked in and I ordered it from the library. I'm still on the waiting list.

Now I'm going to go check out BLUEBIRD, BLUEBIRD. Thanks for the recommendation!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 04:36:35 pm »

Now I'm going to go check out BLUEBIRD, BLUEBIRD. Thanks for the recommendation!

Becke, I got to review the book for Mystery Scene: https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/article/5803-bluebird-bluebird-2

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:38:12 pm »
By the way, I haven't read any of the books that were nominated. I own The Dry by Jane Harper but just haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 04:45:06 pm »

Becke, I got to review the book for Mystery Scene: https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/article/5803-bluebird-bluebird-2

Thanks, Jay - Very interesting review! I had heard of the book and vaguely connected it with Texas and racism. I get nervous reading psychological thrillers where children, pets and main characters are threatened (I limit what thrillers I read when I'm home alone at night!) and I think I held off getting this one in case it wasn't a "good" ending. (In addition to mysteries and thrillers, I also like to read contemporary romance - I want a happy ending or, in the case of mysteries and thrillers, a satisfying ending where justice/good wins over crime/evil.  I noted your comment about the somewhat unsatisfying cliffhanger ending. Was that resolved in a later book?

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 03:57:57 am »
Bluebird, Bluebird was the first book in the series. HEAVEN, MY HOME is the 2nd book and was published just last year. I haven't bought the book yet so I don't know the answer to your question.