Author Topic: The Black Pill  (Read 13648 times)

ljsellers

• View Profile
The Black Pill
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:46:31 pm »
I'm L.J. Sellers, author of 26 bestselling mysteries and thrillers. I'd love to take a moment and tell you a little bit about my new release.

THE BLACK PILL thriller features both Detective Jackson and Agent Dallas, and early readers say they couldn’t put it down. The story revolves around the subject the subject of incels (involuntary celibates) and their violent tendencies, but it also explores how these men might have become that way.

The characters’ backgrounds are based on the true conditions of how my grandchildren were living before we rescued them from a dangerous cult in Costa Rica. I’ve often thought about how their lives might have developed without our intervention. Because I write what I fear, the story highlights what they could have become. But that’s just background.

The main story is:
A bizarre murder, a missing woman, and a pack of online predators. Can Jackson and Dallas stop the heinous crime spree?

An early-reader review: “Flawless pacing, fascinating characters, and a plot woven together with seamless complexity: The Black Pill is one of LJ Sellers' most masterful works.”—Andrew Kaufman, bestselling thriller author

JRob

• View Profile
Re: The Black Pill
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 07:40:42 pm »
Well that certainly makes me want to read the book!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 09:57:18 pm »
Well that certainly makes me want to read the book!

LJ - Thanks for joining us! Reading about your adventures in Costa Rica will probably give me nightmares. I'm glad it turned out well, even if it was a bumpy road for you.

I noted your comment about writing about what scares you with interest. Whenever I've attempted to write a thriller, I've ended up scaring myself silly. I'm curious how you live with all the nasty characters taking up space in your head. How do you turn off the events in your book when it gets to be too much?

I don't know if LJ mentioned it, but we don't have long to wait for THE BLACK PILL. It comes out on February 11.

ljsellers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:10 pm »
When I'm writing, I'm in control of the process, so it's not as terrifying as real life or even movies. Also, I tend to write antagonists who are victims in their own way. And I never write about serial killers, because they all have the same motive.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 04:27:57 pm »
When I'm writing, I'm in control of the process, so it's not as terrifying as real life or even movies. Also, I tend to write antagonists who are victims in their own way. And I never write about serial killers, because they all have the same motive.

Thanks so much for responding. I'm still pondering your comment about serial killers and their motive(s).

ljsellers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 07:27:54 pm »
I  should have elaborated a little. Motive is the most interesting aspect of the crime, and I love exploring antagonists and what drives them or causes them to unravel. For me, that's the framework of the story (and investigation). But with serial killers, they all just enjoy the power over some else's life, so there's nothing to explore or reveal. It's just a matter of catching them. So those stories all seem the same to me.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 02:52:01 am »
LJ - What books did you read as a child? Did any particular authors inspire you to write?

libbyfh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 06:06:53 am »
Hi, LJ. Libby here. I remember you telling me the story at Left Coast last year. Is this the book that came out of it?? I want to read it.

ljsellers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 02:48:48 pm »
No, this is a fiction thriller. But I used my Costa Rica experience as the background for the characters.  I do have a script about the Costa Rica Rescue, and a producer is reading it now.