Author Topic: February Feature at the Forum: Curl Up with a Cozy!  (Read 34079 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: February Feature at the Forum: Curl Up with a Cozy!
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 01:12:56 am »
It's been hard figuring out what to read next, since I have so many books I'm eager to read. I started reading an edition of Malice Domestic short stories edited by Katherine Hall Page. I'm also reading another short story collection called Bodies in the Library. I have two more short story collections I'm eager to read - one by Lee Child and one by Peter Robinson. The trouble with short story collections is that they are easy to put down and come back to, so it takes me a long time to finish reading them.

Today I read MURDERS AND METAPHORS by Amanda Flower. I loved the magical aspects of the story I have one of her gardening mysteries waiting to be read. Not sure if I'll read that next, or Hilary Davidson's new release DON'T LOOK DOWN (a thriller, not a cozy).

I enjoyed MURDERS AND METAPHORS, loved the talking crow, the cat who behaves like a witch's familiar, and the books that appear whenever the magical bookstore feels they are needed. The books appearing as needed reminds me of another book with quirky, magical aspects - Sarah Addison Allen's THE SUGAR QUEEN. Her books aren't mysteries, just quirky stories with lovable characters and usually a bit of magic.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 03:49:53 am »
I started reading the Carlene O'Connor novel Murder In An Irish Pub. I won a copy of it on Goodreads and now that it showed up in the mail, I finally got to start reading it.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 12:21:50 pm »
I started reading the Carlene O'Connor novel Murder In An Irish Pub. I won a copy of it on Goodreads and now that it showed up in the mail, I finally got to start reading it.

Love the title!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 12:25:26 pm »

Love the title!

Becke, you'd probably love the series as well.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:06 pm »

Love the title!

Becke, you'd probably love the series as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check my to-be-read shelves (and bins) before I buy any. I think I may have one or two books in that series just waiting to be read!

LoisWinston

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2020, 06:18:29 am »
Hello, Everyone! I'm Lois Winston, and I want to thank Becke for inviting me here. I'm the author of the Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries (8 books and counting, plus 3 novellas) and the Empty Nest Mysteries (2 books). Both are humorous amateur sleuth/cozy series. For those of you unfamiliar with my series, you can learn about them (and me) at my website: http://www.loiswinston.com.

As for favorite reads, I'm currently reading Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series about an 11 year old amateur sleuth with a penchant for poisons in England in 1950. I just finished the second book and am about to start the third. I also loved, loved, loved Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series, which takes place during the time of Henry II.

For contemporary cozies and amateur sleuth series, I'm a big fan of Camille Minichino/Margaret Grace/Ada Madison/Jean Flowers/Elizabeth Logan (she writes under lots of pen names!), Cindy Sample, and Shelley Noble/Shelley Freydont (who also writes historical amateur sleuth mysteries), to name a few. And of course, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (although they're capers, not cozies).

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 02:16:53 pm »
Welcome about Lois!

Consider yourself added to my want list now. It's funny how I can read cozy mysteries about stuff that I can't do and yet still love the stories. So the crafting series is going to be the first up for me.

LoisWinston

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 06:33:28 am »
Thanks so much, JRob! Hope you enjoy it.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 10:01:41 am »
Hello, Everyone! I'm Lois Winston, and I want to thank Becke for inviting me here. I'm the author of the Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries (8 books and counting, plus 3 novellas) and the Empty Nest Mysteries (2 books). Both are humorous amateur sleuth/cozy series. For those of you unfamiliar with my series, you can learn about them (and me) at my website: http://www.loiswinston.com.

As for favorite reads, I'm currently reading Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series about an 11 year old amateur sleuth with a penchant for poisons in England in 1950. I just finished the second book and am about to start the third. I also loved, loved, loved Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series, which takes place during the time of Henry II.

For contemporary cozies and amateur sleuth series, I'm a big fan of Camille Minichino/Margaret Grace/Ada Madison/Jean Flowers/Elizabeth Logan (she writes under lots of pen names!), Cindy Sample, and Shelley Noble/Shelley Freydont (who also writes historical amateur sleuth mysteries), to name a few. And of course, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (although they're capers, not cozies).

Hi Lois - Thanks so much for joining us! I still have several of your books in my keeper bookcase. I thought I'd read all of them, but after checking your book list, I think I have missed a couple. Between that and your recommendations, my wish list is growing at a scary speed! The name Shelley Freydont is familiar but Cindy Sample and Camille-of-all-the-names are new to me.

I remember what fun it was hanging out with you - too bad I haven't been to a conference in awhile.

LoisWinston

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2020, 07:16:42 am »
Hi Becke! Thanks again for inviting me to join you here at Mystery Scene. I haven't been to a conference in several years, either. Life and grandchildren have gotten in the way. Forgot to mention, another series I really enjoy is Amy Stewart's Kopp Sisters Series. It's based on the true life adventures of the first female deputy sheriff in NJ in the early years of the 20th century. The first book is Girl Waits With Gun. I think there are now 5 or 6 books in the series.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 06:16:45 pm »
Hi Becke! Thanks again for inviting me to join you here at Mystery Scene. I haven't been to a conference in several years, either. Life and grandchildren have gotten in the way. Forgot to mention, another series I really enjoy is Amy Stewart's Kopp Sisters Series. It's based on the true life adventures of the first female deputy sheriff in NJ in the early years of the 20th century. The first book is Girl Waits With Gun. I think there are now 5 or 6 books in the series.

Thanks so much for mentioning Amy Stewart. I've been meaning to look this up for ages, but didn't actually do it until just now. I've been a fan of Amy Stewart's garden books for years - I've read them all and I think I own them all. When I started seeing the Girl With Gun books I wasn't sure if it was the same author. It is! I already know I like the way she writes - now I'll have to check out all those new books. https://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-amy-stewart-20150830-story.html

And just to complicate things, I have a niece named Amy Stuart - no relation to the author!

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 08:21:29 am »
Hi Lois, nice to see you at the Forum! Brian and I have a ton of nieces and nephews who insist on getting married when mystery conventions are scheduled. This year we're missing Malice Domestic AND Bouchercon for weddings in Indiana and Canada. We're happy to celebrate the new family members but we'll miss our friends at the conventions.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 06:19:17 pm »
I found another sweepstakes: A publisher is giving away ONE HUNDRED E-BOOKS https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/305807-deadly-sweet-tooth