Author Topic: Past Anthony Winners to be honored  (Read 28480 times)

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Past Anthony Winners to be honored
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:12:26 am »
I hear as part of the 50th Anniversary Bouchercon they're going to try to somehow remember/display/honor all the past winners of Anthony's.

My wife Kate is a three-time winner so I thought it would be good to be there, but--if you can believe it--she would rather go to Paris for our 20th wedding anniversary which is happening at the same time.

So we'll miss it.  :(

Who's going, or wants to go?

ocogdill

• View Profile
Re: Past Anthony Winners to be honored
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 12:43:54 pm »
Paris? Dallas? Paris? Dallas? I would choose Paris but that is just me.
I love Bouchercon and has only missed 2 in 24 years. I will be there and I believe there are plans to have such a display. If so, will try to take a photo

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 01:15:14 pm »
I do hate to miss Bouchercon but you can only celebrate your 20th anniversary once. Since we met at a mystery conference (Magna Cum Murder in Indiana in 1996), and dated at several more (Malice, Bcon, etc.), I feel like we should go for something different.  :)

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 05:17:40 pm »
I'm not all that crazy about the heat of Texas, but choosing between a book convention or a trip to a place I never have had the slightest interest in visiting, I'd choose the book convention.

Yes...I'm single.  ;)

Verna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:03:17 am »
I was going to give B'con a pass this year but changed my mind and signed up last week. I've started reading some of the Anthony nominated books. IMHO Copenhaver's DODGING AND BURNING is a strong contender for Best First.

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:21:28 am »
I wasn't aware of Dodging and Burning, but it's on my list now:

PW says "intricate plot" --that's what I like to hear!

And Oline Cogdill and Library Journal both liked it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:55:38 pm by Brian »

BookBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 02:35:24 pm »
I live in Dallas and am super excited about the convention being here.  I'm definitely going!  It's at the end of October so the weather should actually be quite nice by then. 

HankPRyan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 01:07:48 pm »
It was SO much fun!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 02:39:47 pm »
It was SO much fun!

From everything that I've read from a variety of sources, yes I'm sure it was a lot of fun for those who attended!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 07:05:42 pm »
I may have mentioned this, but if I had one request about Bouchercon, it would be that authors wear sandwich-boards with their names and booklists printed on the back. I saw so many faces that I recognized from book jackets, with one minor problem - I could recognize the face, but in many cases couldn't place the author's name.  It can be a little creepy trying to focus on a name tag unobtrusively!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08:34 pm »
I hear as part of the 50th Anniversary Bouchercon they're going to try to somehow remember/display/honor all the past winners of Anthony's.

My wife Kate is a three-time winner so I thought it would be good to be there, but--if you can believe it--she would rather go to Paris for our 20th wedding anniversary which is happening at the same time.

Turns out there are several book fairs in Paris. You could juggle your calendar a bit and do both! https://www.tradefairdates.com/Book-Fairs-France-FSL67-L73-S1.html

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 12:23:02 am »

Turns out there are several book fairs in Paris. You could juggle your calendar a bit and do both! https://www.tradefairdates.com/Book-Fairs-France-FSL67-L73-S1.html

I ran this by my husband and his vote goes for the Paris trip. I have to say, it's a tough call. The last time we went there - a long time ago - I picked up a copy of Agatha Christie's THE TUESDAY CLUB MURDERS in French. I now wish I'd picked up a few more French translations.

On the subject of anniversaries, my husband and I tied the knot in 1971 so we're within shouting distance of a biggie. Since he retired we're pinching pennies. Do you all have any suggestions for ways to celebrate that don't involve spending a fortune?

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 10:57:59 am »
Is your husband a mystery fan, Becke?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 01:07:08 am »
Is your husband a mystery fan, Becke?

Not so much. He IS a fan of mystery movies and TV shows like Poirot and Midsomer Murders, but for books he's more likely to read Alan Watts or books on mindfulness.