Author Topic: The 2020 Edgar Nominations  (Read 10163 times)

JRob

• View Profile
The 2020 Edgar Nominations
« on: January 22, 2020, 05:04:19 pm »
Having just read the list of nominees for the 2020 Edgar Awards, I've never been more aware that I am seemingly out of step with the majority of mystery readership.

I own exactly 1 book amongst all the nominees. And I've yet to read that one so far. There are three other titles I want to read. Not that I feel the need to be one with the crowd but damn that's a lot of nominees that I've never read, or in some cases, even heard of before now.

Here's the list: https://mysterywriters.org/mwa-announces-the-2020-edgar-nominations/

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The 2020 Edgar Nominations
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 03:16:46 pm »
Having just read the list of nominees for the 2020 Edgar Awards, I've never been more aware that I am seemingly out of step with the majority of mystery readership.

I own exactly 1 book amongst all the nominees. And I've yet to read that one so far. There are three other titles I want to read. Not that I feel the need to be one with the crowd but damn that's a lot of nominees that I've never read, or in some cases, even heard of before now.

Here's the list: https://mysterywriters.org/mwa-announces-the-2020-edgar-nominations/

I'm doing slightly better - not much - with the Agatha nominees: https://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/2020/01/agatha-nominees-malice-domestic.html?fbclid=IwAR1vRdKvZtYD7gi2WnYglfKyet9m53HAww3DrKaytL-lw0R4EW_icwaHtlw

I've read two of the nominees for Best Contemporary Novel:
A Better Man by Louise Penny (Minotaur)
The Murder List by Hank Philippi Ryan (Forge)

And, thanks to the current issue of Mystery Scene magazine, I've got one of the Best First Mystery Novel nominees on order:
One Night Gone by Tara Laskowski (Graydon House, a division of Harlequin)

As to the Edgars, I'm in the same ballpark as you are:

I'm almost finished with this one: The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)

THE SIMON & SCHUSTER MARY HIGGINS CLARK AWARD

The Night Visitors by Carol Goodman (HarperCollins – William Morrow)
One Night Gone by Tara Laskowski (Harlequin – Graydon House)
Strangers at the Gate by Catriona McPherson (Minotaur Books)
Where the Missing Go by Emma Rowley (Kensington Publishing)
The Murder List by Hank Phillippi Ryan (Tom Doherty Associates – Forge Books)

I read a lot of Catriona McPherson's books and I think STRANGERS AT THE GATE is in my to-be-read pile.

I'm intrigued by some of the books in the critical and historical categories. The History of Collins Crime Club is especially intriguing but also expensive. I'm putting together a birthday list for my family! :-)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:24 am »
I haven't received ONE NIGHT GONE yet so I just read THE ZIG ZAG GIRL, one of Elly Griffiths MAGIC MEN books. I really liked it! Not sure where this one comes in the series but I'm definitely going to read more. I think some of her older books were award winners - I need to check that out!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 06:39:21 am »
By now, I just look at the lists of nominated books for whichever awards are being given out and think, "Well that's nice for them." And then I go back to reading what I read anyway.

Working on the latest Archer Mayor book right now.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:53:31 pm »
I do the same thing, to some extent. If I'm curious about a book or author I've never read before, I may look to see if their books were nominated for awards or if they won any awards. It gives an author credibility, but doesn't necessarily mean I will like their books.

dhaupt3

• View Profile
    • The Reading Frenzy
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 06:55:41 am »
There is one on my list by fave author Hank Phillipi Ryan, The Murder List!
dhaupt3

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 04:48:22 pm »

Debbie - I just read THE MURDER LIST a few weeks ago (long waiting list at my library) and I think Hank knocked it out of the ballpark again. I've been a fan since Hank's first books came out. They weren't cozies, but sort of cozy-ish. Since she's moved to writing thrillers, her fan base has exploded and her books are always turning up on "Best of..." lists.

dhaupt3

• View Profile
    • The Reading Frenzy
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 07:13:25 pm »

Debbie - I just read THE MURDER LIST a few weeks ago (long waiting list at my library) and I think Hank knocked it out of the ballpark again. I've been a fan since Hank's first books came out. They weren't cozies, but sort of cozy-ish. Since she's moved to writing thrillers, her fan base has exploded and her books are always turning up on "Best of..." lists.

I know she's really grown as an author but I thought her last book was just okay. I'm hoping this one knocks my socks off!
dhaupt3

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 02:56:59 am »
I think my favorites of Hank's books are TRUST ME and THE WRONG GIRL, but I liked them all.