Author Topic: J.K. Rowling  (Read 8479 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
J.K. Rowling
« on: January 17, 2020, 12:11:20 am »
I've read all the Harry Potter books and so have both of my kids. My favorite was the first book in the series. I was hesitant to see the movies but on the whole, I liked them. And I am so thankful for J.K. Rowling writing the books that made my not-a-fan-of-reading son shut himself in his bedroom so he could read these books without interruption. His daughters might be too young for the movies but they LOVE them (except the scene where Dobby dies, that makes them sad). My son, daughter-in-law and both girls went to Harry Potter Universal in Hollywood over Christmas break and now they are constantly casting spells on us and on each other. Our library is having a Harry Potter night on February 8 - we are counting the days!

I also really enjoy the Cormorant Strike books by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowlings. I've read them all like them a lot, but don't go into them expecting anything resembling Hogwarts. I didn't realize there was a TV series based on the books until I read about it in the current issue of Mystery Scene. It's on Cinemax, and my husband and I watched the first of three episodes based on the first book. We both are looking forward to the rest of this series!

Have you read the books or seen the TV show? What do you think of them?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:35:16 am by Becke Davis »

JRob

• View Profile
Re: J.K. Rowling
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 04:11:25 am »
I haven't read the books but since my mom was a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, when I found out that Rowling was Galbraith I bought her the first book.

But I don't think she ever got around to reading it.

I have not read the books or seen the show.

By the way, Cinemax announced yesterday that they are getting out of the original series programming business.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 11:48:23 am »
Brian and I watched the Cormoran Strike TV show and really enjoyed it. We haven't seen the episodes based on Lethal White yet, though. Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger seem perfectly cast.

I'd read the Robert Galbraith books except for Lethal White which has disappeared somewhere into the towering stacks of books around here. After much searching, I may have to give up and get it from the library.

I remember reading the Harry Potter books and thinking Rowling could probably write a great mystery. When the first Cormoran Strike book, THE CUCKOO'S CALLING, came in for review we didn't know it was Rowling. (Remember her identity was a big secret until a big mouth attorney spilt the beans.) But our review, which was very complimentary, said it was unusual for a first novelist to be so accomplished.

Here's the review
https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article/26-reviews/books/3104-the-cuckoos-calling?highlight=WyJjdWNrb28ncyIsImN1Y2tvb3MiLCJjYWxsaW5nIiwiY3Vja29vJ3MgY2FsbGluZyJd&Itemid=113

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 12:40:56 am »
Brian and I watched the Cormoran Strike TV show and really enjoyed it. We haven't seen the episodes based on Lethal White yet, though. Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger seem perfectly cast.

I'd read the Robert Galbraith books except for Lethal White which has disappeared somewhere into the towering stacks of books around here. After much searching, I may have to give up and get it from the library.

I remember reading the Harry Potter books and thinking Rowling could probably write a great mystery. When the first Cormoran Strike book, THE CUCKOO'S CALLING, came in for review we didn't know it was Rowling. (Remember her identity was a big secret until a big mouth attorney spilt the beans.) But our review, which was very complimentary, said it was unusual for a first novelist to be so accomplished.

Here's the review
https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article/26-reviews/books/3104-the-cuckoos-calling?highlight=WyJjdWNrb28ncyIsImN1Y2tvb3MiLCJjYWxsaW5nIiwiY3Vja29vJ3MgY2FsbGluZyJd&Itemid=113

By the time I read THE CUCKOO'S CALLING the secret was out. Rowling or not, I don't think I would have continued reading the other books in the series if I hadn't really liked the first one. We finished watching the episodes of THE CUCKOO'S CALLING tonight and tomorrow we'll probably watch the first episode of THE SILKWORM.

It's been awhile since I read LETHAL WHITE. I found it harder going than the other books in the series but I don't really remember why. I hope the producers of the TV show publicize the LETHAL WHITE episodes when they are ready. If the TV series continues the way it started I will definitely watch more!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 12:00:18 am »

Here's the review

By the time I read THE CUCKOO'S CALLING the secret was out. Rowling or not, I don't think I would have continued reading the other books in the series if I hadn't really liked the first one. We finished watching the episodes of THE CUCKOO'S CALLING tonight and tomorrow we'll probably watch the first episode of THE SILKWORM.

It's been awhile since I read LETHAL WHITE. I found it harder going than the other books in the series but I don't really remember why. I hope the producers of the TV show publicize the LETHAL WHITE episodes when they are ready. If the TV series continues the way it started I will definitely watch more!

My husband Marty and I have now watched all the Cormoran Strike episodes we could find - those based on the first three books. I hope they will be showing episodes based on LETHAL WHITE soon - I don't want this series to end!

https://deadline.com/2018/10/j-k-rowlings-detective-drama-strike-to-return-to-bbc-one-with-lethal-white-1202474079/