Author Topic: Authors featured in Mystery Scene magazine  (Read 10543 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Authors featured in Mystery Scene magazine
« on: January 16, 2020, 04:27:59 pm »
I've been reading the latest issue of Mystery Scene and it's already impacted my to-be-read bookcases. I know I've read something by Elly Griffiths but not recently. Since reading this issue, I've picked up five of her books, ordered ONE NIGHT GONE by Tara Laskowski, and preordered Molly MacRae's new book. Every time I flip through this issue, I find more books I want to read. Dangerous!!!!!

If you read Mystery Scene - and I'm assuming a lot of you do - what books have you been inspired to read in recent issues of the magazine?

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Authors featured in Mystery Scene magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 06:25:11 pm »
I haven't yet gotten to reading the latest issue, but I keep a pen and paper next to me when I read each issue to write down books to add to my list or publisher's websites to look up. One of my various want lists is dedicated to just books I've found an interest in from seeing them in Mystery Scene.

I can say that the very first author that I was turned onto in the first issue that I ever read was C.J. Box. Oline Cogdill had an interview with him and it sounded great. I bought the first book but didn't finish it before I went out and bought as many as I could find on the shelves because the first one was so amazing.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:57:28 pm »
I haven't yet gotten to reading the latest issue, but I keep a pen and paper next to me when I read each issue to write down books to add to my list or publisher's websites to look up. One of my various want lists is dedicated to just books I've found an interest in from seeing them in Mystery Scene.

I can say that the very first author that I was turned onto in the first issue that I ever read was C.J. Box. Oline Cogdill had an interview with him and it sounded great. I bought the first book but didn't finish it before I went out and bought as many as I could find on the shelves because the first one was so amazing.

The Ngaio Marsh reference book mentioned in this issue is on my wish list. I've read all of her books - most of them multiple times - and her autobiography BLACK BEECH AND HONEYDEW is an all-time favorite of mine. For years it wasn't available or was only for sale at sky high prices. It's available at Amazon, but there is quite a range of prices: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Beech-Honeydew-Ngaio-Marsh/dp/0006512348

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 04:08:09 am »
I don't read any reference books myself. I concentrate on the books rather than books about them. Just my preference.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:55:55 am »
I have a wall of reference books and biographies at the office. I use a lot of them while editing articles and fact-checking. I've got probably a 5'x8' section of shelving devoted to them. Lots of books on TV, movies and Sherlock Holmes, too. I wonder what Jon L. Breen's library looks like? He's been doing the "What About Murder?" reference review column for 18 years for us and before that for many years at The Armchair Detective...

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 02:05:21 pm »
I always read Jon's columns, they are informative and interesting no doubt. I just don't buy these books. I'm already busy enough with reading the regular prose novels as it is.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 12:58:35 am »
I always read Jon's columns, they are informative and interesting no doubt. I just don't buy these books. I'm already busy enough with reading the regular prose novels as it is.

I got into autobiographies when I was in middle school, and I continue to read them, in no particular pattern, to this day. Some that I remember especially are Agatha Christie's autobiography, Ngaio Marsh's (as I mentioned already), Frank Capra's autobiography, Lilli Palmer's CHANGE LOBSTERS AND DANCE (I'm sure I bought it for the title). I'm currently reading a short story collection: THE BODIES IN THE LIBRARY, 2, and I'm really enjoying the pocket biographies following each story. The first autobiographies I remember reading were in a special edition made for school children - one was about Clara Barton and one about J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI. I don't know if Mary Stewart or Josephine Tey ever wrote autobiographies, but if they did I would snap them up in a minute!

I also buy reference books on writing and about mysteries and the people who write them. I love to find unusual editions - for instance, my husband and I came across a lot of graphic novels based on Agatha Christie's books and he gave them to me for Christmas that year. :-)

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 06:03:45 am »
Speaking of finding authors from them being featured in Mystery Scene, there's a new article on the homepage of the website on Con Lehane.

He's completely new to me but I'm quite interested in checking out his Murder at the 42nd Street Library series now. I'll probably head to the library in a bit to see if they have the book on hand and if not, I'll have them transfer a copy to them so I can read it.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 12:38:10 am »
Speaking of finding authors from them being featured in Mystery Scene, there's a new article on the homepage of the website on Con Lehane.

He's completely new to me but I'm quite interested in checking out his Murder at the 42nd Street Library series now. I'll probably head to the library in a bit to see if they have the book on hand and if not, I'll have them transfer a copy to them so I can read it.

I must be on your wavelength when it comes to mysteries. I spotted that one, too, and added his series to my wish list. If you get to it before I do, please share your thoughts on it!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 09:58:12 am »

I must be on your wavelength when it comes to mysteries. I spotted that one, too, and added his series to my wish list. If you get to it before I do, please share your thoughts on it!

Oh I will. I always post reviews of stuff I'm not reviewing for Mystery Scene on my Goodreads page.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 12:01:47 am »

Oh I will. I always post reviews of stuff I'm not reviewing for Mystery Scene on my Goodreads page.

Thanks - I need to get in the habit of going to Goodreads more often.