Author Topic: Do you prefer mysteries by male or female authors, or doesn't it matter to you?  (Read 7999 times)

JRob

• View Profile
I don't care who writes a book. It is more important that the book they write be something I actually want to read.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't care who writes a book. It is more important that the book they write be something I actually want to read.

I agree. Going through some of the mysteries I've read recently, a lot of them are by female authors. But a fair number are by men: Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, Rex Stout, Dick Francis, Peter Robinson, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, John Dickson Carr, (vintage) Carter Dickson (vintage), Robert Ludlum, William Kent Kreuger, Brad Parks, Ken Isaacson, Jim Butcher, Jonathan Kellerman, Blake Crouch, Philip MacDonald (vintage), G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries, Craig Johnson, Jeffrey Archer, Aaron Elkins, Simon Brett, Jeffrey Marks, Jeff Abbott, Linwood Barclay, John Verdon, Cyril Hare, Anthony Horowitz, Lawrence Block, Michael Gilbert, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and even A.A. Milne (his classic mystery is THE RED HOUSE MYSTERY).

dhaupt3

• View Profile
    • The Reading Frenzy
It's all about the writing but I must admit that women authors understand how women's minds work and they are usually my go to authors however saying that there are a few men authors who I've read everything they've written like Nelson DeMille (I even had the chance to interview him once he's fascinating), Michael Connelly, John Sandford (all his series) and I'm sure there are more.
dhaupt3

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It's all about the writing but I must admit that women authors understand how women's minds work and they are usually my go to authors however saying that there are a few men authors who I've read everything they've written like Nelson DeMille (I even had the chance to interview him once he's fascinating), Michael Connelly, John Sandford (all his series) and I'm sure there are more.

I've read one or two books by Nelson DeMille and John Sandford, but I've read a LOT of Michael Connelly's books. Not all, by any means - I can't keep up. Did you see the BOSCH series on TV? I thought it was surprisingly good. (I tend to expect the worst when it comes to television adaptations of books.)

dhaupt3

• View Profile
    • The Reading Frenzy

I've read one or two books by Nelson DeMille and John Sandford, but I've read a LOT of Michael Connelly's books. Not all, by any means - I can't keep up. Did you see the BOSCH series on TV? I thought it was surprisingly good. (I tend to expect the worst when it comes to television adaptations of books.)

No I don't subscribe because I watch so little TV, in fact I even get  the Outlander series on dvd after the end of the season
dhaupt3