Author Topic: What I am Reading  (Read 16285 times)

ocogdill

• View Profile
What I am Reading
« on: January 07, 2020, 06:42:29 pm »
Anyone here familiar with the work of Mindy Mejia? Quite an author to watch, I think

JRob

• View Profile
Re: What I am Reading
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 03:52:44 am »
While I have heard of the author and seen coverage of her work, I've yet to actually read Mindy Mejia's work. But if you are recommending her Oline, I'll have to add her to my list.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 06:06:13 pm »
Anyone here familiar with the work of Mindy Mejia? Quite an author to watch, I think

Have you read THE DRAGON KEEPER? My son has always been fascinated by Komodo dragons, so our whole family has read up on them and gone to see them at different zoos. LEAVE NO TRACE also sounds good. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've just discovered a cozy series that I'm enjoying - the Lois Meade series by Ann Purser. I'm reading them out of order but so far that hasn't detracted from my enjoyment of them. I just finished FOUND GUILTY AT FIVE.

My daughter is very impatient with me because I haven't read THE SILENT PATIENT yet. I have to finish my library books first, but that book is definitely on my read-this-soon list!

ocogdill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 11:22:46 am »
I also am fascinated by komodo dragons.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 12:06:25 am »
My daughter was frustrated when I started to read THE BODIES IN THE LIBRARY 2, a collection of mystery short stories, because I have so many books waiting to be read. I've mentioned THE SILENT PATIENT - she read that months ago and has been after me to read it so we can talk about it together. "Just read the first two pages," she said. Well, this morning I did just that. And by the time she got home from work this afternoon, I had finished it.

Well, when she's right, she's right. It's a gripping thriller, with lots of small twists and a killer surprise ending. Like GONE GIRL, it's not a book you're likely to forget.

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250301697

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 05:04:13 am »
I really loved THE LAST ACT OF HATTIE HOFFMAN by Mindy Mejia (her first crime novel) - I think that was sold as EVERYTHING YOU WANT ME TO BE, and had a different cover in the USA. To be honest, I think the UK & Commonwealth cover & title better suited the book - an outstanding rural crime thriller.

A couple of years ago, I really enjoyed LEAVE NO TRACE, and I'm looking forward to reading STRIKE ME DOWN, which is on my shelf right now.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 12:55:17 pm »
I really loved THE LAST ACT OF HATTIE HOFFMAN by Mindy Mejia (her first crime novel) - I think that was sold as EVERYTHING YOU WANT ME TO BE, and had a different cover in the USA. To be honest, I think the UK & Commonwealth cover & title better suited the book - an outstanding rural crime thriller.

A couple of years ago, I really enjoyed LEAVE NO TRACE, and I'm looking forward to reading STRIKE ME DOWN, which is on my shelf right now.

I wish the library was open! I want to read these books but I can't afford to buy all the books I want to read. :-(

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 04:34:17 pm »
I started to read one book yesterday, but was in the mood for something different today. I started reading Lee Child's PAST TENSE this morning and I'm about 150 pages into it. It's a good one!

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 01:45:25 am »

It confuses me why publishers use different covers and titles for British and American markets. I wouldn't think they'd be all that different. I'd love to know how they decide which suits which market best. (Not sure I worded that very clearly.)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 04:09:42 pm »
I just started reading Flynn Berry's A DOUBLE LIFE.  I hope it's as good as the last one I read by this author!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 04:13:13 pm »
Just finished an early book by an author I really like - Jeff Abbott! This book, PROMISES OF HOME, was great. It kept me guessing right to the end. I loved the quirky names of the characters, too. He's written more books with these characters - I'm going to look for more.

mwbworld

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:50:01 am »
After watching some of the fair to middling classic hollywood Perry Mason movies recently, I've started a read the original novels kick and I'm currently on two in having finished the first, The Case of the Velvet Claws, and am in the middle of the second, The Case of the Sulky Girl.  Pretty fun so far.
- Michael

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 08:03:47 am »
After watching some of the fair to middling classic hollywood Perry Mason movies recently, I've started a read the original novels kick and I'm currently on two in having finished the first, The Case of the Velvet Claws, and am in the middle of the second, The Case of the Sulky Girl.  Pretty fun so far.

My dad had a lot of the old Perry Mason books. I think my brother claimed those when we were clearing out my parents' house a few years ago. I have a few of them myself - I've read most of the ones I own, but I'm sure there are more in my ever-growing waiting-to-be read pile.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 05:56:33 am »
I used to watch the Perry Mason series in reruns when I was growing up but I haven't seen many of them since that time. I've never read any of the books though.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 02:07:42 pm »
I used to watch the Perry Mason series in reruns when I was growing up but I haven't seen many of them since that time. I've never read any of the books though.

Did you see there's a new HBO Perry Mason series debuting on Father's Day, June 21? It's very hard to picture this show without it's iconic original cast, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Here's the link: https://www.hbo.com/perry-mason