Author Topic: What I am Reading  (Read 16284 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: What I am Reading
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 05:34:19 am »
I used to watch the Perry Mason series in reruns when I was growing up but I haven't seen many of them since that time. I've never read any of the books though.

Did you see there's a new HBO Perry Mason series debuting on Father's Day, June 21? It's very hard to picture this show without it's iconic original cast, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Here's the link: https://www.hbo.com/perry-mason

Oh I knew. Not sure I'm crazy about this new series though.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 12:20:23 pm »
I used to watch the Perry Mason series in reruns when I was growing up but I haven't seen many of them since that time. I've never read any of the books though.

Did you see there's a new HBO Perry Mason series debuting on Father's Day, June 21? It's very hard to picture this show without it's iconic original cast, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Here's the link: https://www.hbo.com/perry-mason

Oh I knew. Not sure I'm crazy about this new series though.

Yeah, I don't hold high hopes for it. I'm trying to think of remakes that I like(d) and the only one that comes to mind is Magnum P.I. I like the new one, and I don't think the original holds up at all.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 04:10:07 am »

Yeah, I don't hold high hopes for it. I'm trying to think of remakes that I like(d) and the only one that comes to mind is Magnum P.I. I like the new one, and I don't think the original holds up at all.

I actually like the original Magnum P.I. series. My mother had the series on DVD (I watched it growing up as well) and I've been SLOWLY working my way through watching the series again and I've been enjoying it.

What little I've seen of the remake has been OK but nothing particularly outstanding.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 02:10:52 am »

I actually like the original Magnum P.I. series. My mother had the series on DVD (I watched it growing up as well) and I've been SLOWLY working my way through watching the series again and I've been enjoying it.

What little I've seen of the remake has been OK but nothing particularly outstanding.

I loved the original Magnum back when it was new, but I don't like to watch it now. Part of the reason I like the new Magnum is that it's kind of mild and likeable which is what I'm wanting to watch in this age of coronavirus.

I'm currently enjoying Season 9 of Death in Paradise, as it welcomes yet another chief detective. Even though the cast changes frequently, I still like this show.

My husband and I recently discovered reruns of the show LIE TO ME, which I still find entertaining.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 02:16:24 am »
I can't read fast enough these days - sooo many books I want to read! Yesterday I read Kate White's HAVE YOU SEEN ME? Which I liked a lot. Then I started a non-mystery, Susan Elizabeth Phillips' DANCE AWAY WITH ME. I got 100 pages into that before the mail came with Edith Maxwell's FARMED AND DANGEROUS. I'm racing through that one now and I'll finish DANCE AWAY WITH ME probably tomorrow. I also picked up an old Mark Mills books that I had missed, and two Michael Stanley books that I'm looking forward to.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 11:23:52 pm »
I've been on a reading binge lately. I've been focusing on reading Edith Maxwell (aka Maddie Day)'s books, and I've made a lot of progress there. I think I still have four of her books waiting to be read.

I've been alternating between her books and others (new, old and very old) in my waiting-to-be-read pile.

I've come across a lot of good books, some by authors who were new to me. I've listed all the Maddie Day/Edith Maxwell books on separate threads for her books. Other books in my summer reading binge include:

PORTRAIT OF A MURDERER - A Christmas Crime Story by Anne Meredith. This is a British Crime Club Classic and it is now on one of my Keeper shelves. Be sure to read the introduction - it was fascinating, especially the source of the author's name (a pen name).

HOUSE OF THE HUNTED by Mark Mills. Another thriller by one of my favorite authors.

MURDER AT HAWTHORN COTTAGE by Betty Rowlands - I've already picked up another book in this cosy series.

OUT OF THE BLACKOUT by Robert Barnard - A vintage classic.

DISTANT BLOOD by Jeff Abbott - I've read all of Jeff's current thrillers, but I've only just started reading his early books starring Jordan Poteet. His recent books are the best sellers, but I like these, too.

MURDER IN THE MANUSCRIPT ROOM by Con Lehane - I've already ordered the other two books in this series. I'm hooked!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2020, 01:04:28 am »
Yesterday, I read a thriller/gothic/ghost story - HOME BEFORE DARK by Riley Sager. Riley is sort of gender neutral, but as it turns out, the author is a guy.

I thought this article, on a related topic, was really interesting:

Forget George Eliot: now it's male authors disguising their sex to sell more books

https://www.theguardian.com/books/shortcuts/2017/jul/18/riley-sager-and-other-male-authors-benefiting-from-a-gender-neutral-pen-name