Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 95062 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 07:31:46 pm »

When rejects of my own mystery novel equaled my age, I took that as a sign and moved on to reviewing. I also ran the Sisters in Crime clipping service for 12 years. But these days, making mystery-themed crosswords is my main contribution to the mystery community. I hope some of you will give solving them a try.

Hi Verna!

I love doing the crosswords in each issue of Mystery Scene. Now if only I was better at them. I leave them blank if I can't get them because I refuse to cheat by looking at the solution. But there are times when I get really close to completing the darn thing.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »
Hi, I'm Robin, I'm a reviewer for Mystery Scene, former bookseller, avid reader of the Golden Age ladies and in general devour whatever I can find in new traditional and historical mystery fiction. Recently I've really enjoyed Mariah Fredericks, Sujata Massey's new series, and Diane Freeman. I named my store for Agatha Christie and have a special love for her but I'm also a giant fan of Ngaio Marsh and Patricia Wentworth.  I re-read endlessly!  Something new during the day, something old at night.  Anyone else out there a re-reader?

Robin,

I suppose that I'd like to be a re-reader but I rarely get the chance because there are so many books waiting to be read for the first time in my TBR pile(s).

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 07:36:05 pm »

Jay, thanks for that! For some reason I thought NY Comic-Con was in the Winter. October is good timing for us.

Brian

You are welcome. I'm trying to get to the Fan Expo Boston this year and I'm applying for a press pass through one of the other outlets I write for.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Terrificon in Connecticut August 9th - 11th.

MHLady

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 09:13:53 pm »
  Anyone else out there a re-reader?

To me, not re-reading a good book is like not eating a good meal because you've had it before. 

beekay12

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 01:31:08 am »
Saying HI to All. I'm Brian Kavanagh and author of the Belinda Lawrence Classic mysteries. Seven mysteries published, book eight, a work in progress. :)

Verna

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 05:27:04 am »
Yay! I love to hear that someone actually works my puzzles :) And even almost finishes them!

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 08:10:40 am »
Hi Verna,
Nice to see you here. Readers, we have two of Verna's crosswords up on the website. Putting up more is on our "To Do" list. Check them out!  https://mysteryscenemag.com/fun-games?id=5564

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 08:24:58 am »
Hi Robin,
Glad to see you at the Forum! I know you have a couple of blog posts waiting to be published, here's your interview of Maureen Jennings from April.

https://mysteryscenemag.com/blog-article/6421-robin-agnew

Love to get the bookseller's perspective from you. And it's particularly nice to have your expertise on cozy mysteries in the magazine.

TeriD

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 08:38:26 am »
  Anyone else out there a re-reader?

To me, not re-reading a good book is like not eating a good meal because you've had it before.

For you rereaders... A nice essay from Lawrence Block on the joys of revisiting books. Thought you might enjoy!
https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/article/3592-lawrence-block-on-the-pleasures-of-rereading

TeriD

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 08:50:05 am »
Hello! My name is Teri Duerr and I'm a senior editor at Mystery Scene Magazine. I edit the book reviews section, put together the monthly enewsletter "At The Scene" (https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article?id=5481&Itemid=113) and the always fun "Writers on Reading" essay series.

So happy to be a part of this forum, as one of the very best parts of my job at MS is getting to work with and speak with the mystery/crime/thriller community. Despite our community's penchant for spending a lot of time with crooks, sociopaths, and murderers, I could not imagine a kinder, funnier, more intelligent or interesting bunch of folks. Looking forward to hearing from you all here.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 09:17:37 am »
Hello! My name is Teri Duerr and I'm a senior editor at Mystery Scene Magazine. I edit the book reviews section, put together the monthly enewsletter "At The Scene" (https://www.mysteryscenemag.com/component/content/article?id=5481&Itemid=113) and the always fun "Writers on Reading" essay series.

So happy to be a part of this forum, as one of the very best parts of my job at MS is getting to work with and speak with the mystery/crime/thriller community. Despite our community's penchant for spending a lot of time with crooks, sociopaths, and murderers, I could not imagine a kinder, funnier, more intelligent or interesting bunch of folks. Looking forward to hearing from you all here.

My boss is now here. I guess I'd better make sure that my posts aren't in need of editing!

Hi Teri, just kidding about that.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 09:21:33 am »
Welcome Oline and Jay!

I've met Oline, but not you Jay. Thanks for all your contributions!

Kate and I are thinking about going to a comic-con sometime this year (never been to one). Are there any good ones coming to the Northeast?

Brian

Brian,

In case you are interested and have a few minutes of free time, here's my article on the 2018 Rhode Island Comic Con.

It is a lengthy piece but I think gives a good deal of detail of what goes on and what is available to do at a comic convention.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 09:23:45 am »
Yay! I love to hear that someone actually works my puzzles :) And even almost finishes them!

Well I SOMETIMES almost finish them. Sometimes it's so much torture that I give up long before then. But in a good way.

dicklochte

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:57 pm »
Hi. I'm Dick Lochte and I write the column Sounds of Suspense, audio crime book reviews, for Mystery Scene. When the mood strikes, I also write crime fiction.  And a couple of movies that taught me how much more satisfying it is to write books. 

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 12:45:15 pm »
Re-reading ? For sure.

If I wait long enough I can re-read any Agatha Christie. (I just started After the Funeral again today because I read an old review about how tricksy it is.)

And for some reason these books are "comfort" re-reads for me:

Tour de Force by Christianna Brand -- I just cannot believe what she does in this book. I've never seen it anywhere else. (The problem is I can't discuss it without a huge spoiler)
Die Trying by Lee Child -- I don't know what distinguishes this from the other Reacher books, but I really love the fighting set pieces in this one
Vanishing Act by Thomas Perry - It is just so good
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris - I can't re-read Silence of the Lambs, but this one I can
The Thin Woman by Dorothy Cannell - so much fun!
Any Nero Wolfe - I can pick up any Nero Wolfe and read for a while and then put back down without finishing--just for the dialog