Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 95323 times)

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2019, 01:38:48 pm »
Hello, Mack here, retired librarian, and reader of crime fiction.

The first mysteries I read were the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton.

My favorite crime fiction subgenre is noir and I adhere to the Otto Penzler definition of noir.

After noir, hardboiled is my next favorite subgenre but, really, I read pretty much anything except cozies.

Kia ora Mack, great to see you on here mate. And nice to have another person mention Enid Blyton - a keen US crime reader on another thread hadn't heard of her. It's fascinating to see how different authors penetrate different geographies and time periods, favourites of some are completely unknown by others.

Mack

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2019, 07:28:35 pm »
 :) I actually read the Famous Five while living in South Aftica.

JIEscribano

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2019, 12:05:46 am »
Hi, I'm José Ignacio, a reader of crime fiction. My book notes are available at my blog A Crime is Afoot (https://jiescribano.wordpress.com/). My tastes are quite eclectic. Actually I'm quite interested in Golden Age Detective Fiction. And without hesitation, Georges Simenon is one of my favourite authors.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:07:45 am by JIEscribano »

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2019, 05:59:02 am »
Hi, I'm Rob from Ireland. I'm a keen reader of crime fiction since my early 20s. Before that I had a thing for cold war spy novels. I mostly read noir, hardboiled, historical (esp set between 1930 and 1960), police procedurals and comic crime capers, not so much thrillers, psychologicals or cozies. I like to read crime fiction set in different countries and I'm slowly working my way round the world.

I post all my reviews on my blog 'The View From the Blue House' (https://theviewfromthebluehouse.blogspot.com/) and Goodreads and I've just passed the 1000 reviews mark. My on-going issue is wanting to keep up with the work of favourite authors and series while discovering new authors.

I look forward to the chat and also discovering new authors and books.

Hi Rob,

For the books I read that I'm not reviewing for MS, I also post to Goodreads, though I am nowhere near 1000 reviews like yourself. And trying to keep up with authors I like while discovering new ones is definitely a continual issue for me. Probably for most of us here.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2019, 06:00:19 am »
Hi, I'm José Ignacio, a reader of crime fiction. My book notes are available at my blog A Crime is Afoot (https://jiescribano.wordpress.com/). My tastes are quite eclectic. Actually I'm quite interested in Golden Age Detective Fiction. And without hesitation, Georges Simenon is one of my favourite authors.

Hi Jose! Thanks for the link to your site, I'll add it to my list of review spots to check out.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2019, 10:25:10 am »

Kia ora Jose. Great to see you, Rob, and Mack all here.

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 11:24:58 am »
:) I actually read the Famous Five while living in South Aftica.

Enid Blyton was pretty popular near Toronto, where I grew up. I could always get a Famous Five or Secret Seven at the local bookstore.

I wish I still had them--didn't keep any.

Brian

mystery editor

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2019, 05:48:44 pm »
Hi, I'm Meredith Phillips, editor/publisher of Perseverance Press, along w/ my partners John & Susan Daniel. We've been publishing traditional mysteries by established authors for 20 years now.

I began mystery reading, thanks to Mom, in the '60s w/ Agatha C and Daphne D. In the '70s PBS Mystery! inspired me to read everything by Dorothy L. My tastes continually broadened till I was reading every subgenre but hard-boiled. I wrote a mystery myself in the '80s, Death Spiral, but decided I preferred telling others how to write instead, and edited/published 9 more mysteries as a one-woman publishing house. My old writing friends the Daniels wanted a mystery imprint, so we joined forces in 1999.

My current favorites are Kate Atkinson, Peter Lovesey, Laura Lippman, Donna Leon, Sue Grafton & Ruth Rendell (RIP both), Patricia Highsmith, Laurie King--I could go on and on!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2019, 07:04:07 pm »
Hi, I'm Meredith Phillips, editor/publisher of Perseverance Press, along w/ my partners John & Susan Daniel. We've been publishing traditional mysteries by established authors for 20 years now.

I began mystery reading, thanks to Mom, in the '60s w/ Agatha C and Daphne D. In the '70s PBS Mystery! inspired me to read everything by Dorothy L. My tastes continually broadened till I was reading every subgenre but hard-boiled. I wrote a mystery myself in the '80s, Death Spiral, but decided I preferred telling others how to write instead, and edited/published 9 more mysteries as a one-woman publishing house. My old writing friends the Daniels wanted a mystery imprint, so we joined forces in 1999.

My current favorites are Kate Atkinson, Peter Lovesey, Laura Lippman, Donna Leon, Sue Grafton & Ruth Rendell (RIP both), Patricia Highsmith, Laurie King--I could go on and on!

Hi Meredith and welcome to the board!

I'm sadly unfamiliar with your book Death Spiral. Is it readily available? If not, can you tell me a little about it?

I'm a big fan of Laurie R. King as well. I particularly enjoy her Kate Martinelli books and of course the Mary Russell series as well.

I'm sure editing the work of others is just as difficult as writing the books yourself. Is it as fulfilling helping others shepherd their book to publication as it was writing your own?

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2019, 04:46:13 am »

Kia ora (hi) Meredith. Great stuff on the mystery publishing, that's terrific!

mystery editor

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2019, 04:29:29 pm »
After my first post I got busy and forgot to check back, sorry! I'm not quite sure whom I'm replying to, but thanks for your replies.

About my first & only mystery, DEATH SPIRAL, Murder at the Winter Olympics--it was published in 1984, so it's not really available now. It was based on the murder of a Russian defector, and the old skating rules (school figures, etc) so it's really out of date!

I find editing others' work much more rewarding than writing my own, so I hung up that hat. We only publish established authors, so their writing is already at a high level. (The Duke of Edinburgh compared writing to self-flagellation, and I agree ;-). I still have to write catalog copy, etc., which is hard enough.

It's been 20 years now since Perseverance Press and John Daniel & Co. joined forces, and we've published over 80 mysteries. We're planning to continue as long as we can.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2019, 07:05:11 am »
After my first post I got busy and forgot to check back, sorry! I'm not quite sure whom I'm replying to, but thanks for your replies.

About my first & only mystery, DEATH SPIRAL, Murder at the Winter Olympics--it was published in 1984, so it's not really available now. It was based on the murder of a Russian defector, and the old skating rules (school figures, etc) so it's really out of date!

I find editing others' work much more rewarding than writing my own, so I hung up that hat. We only publish established authors, so their writing is already at a high level. (The Duke of Edinburgh compared writing to self-flagellation, and I agree ;-). I still have to write catalog copy, etc., which is hard enough.

It's been 20 years now since Perseverance Press and John Daniel & Co. joined forces, and we've published over 80 mysteries. We're planning to continue as long as we can.

Meredith, thanks for getting back to the board and for the information. I just popped over to eBay and looked to see if I could find a copy of your book. And yes there is a few, so I'm looking into picking it up! Doesn't matter if it is out of date with modern day stuff, I am just interested in checking it out.

And I'm going to have to look up Perserverance Press to see your catalog of titles to see what might strike my fancy there as well.

mystery editor

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2019, 04:40:56 pm »
Hi JRob,

Thanks for your interest in Perseverance Press (note: only two Rs in the first word--I shouldn't have picked a name many people misspell!). My earliest books, from the 1980s and early 1990s were published by PP. In 1999 I joined forces w/ John Daniel Publishing, so many of the subsequent 80+ books are listed as PP/JD (if you're searching under the publisher name). It might be easier to check out our website:
www.danielpublishing.com/perseverance

Thanks again, Meredith Phillips

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2019, 04:43:03 pm »
Hi JRob,

Thanks for your interest in Perseverance Press (note: only two Rs in the first word--I shouldn't have picked a name many people misspell!). My earliest books, from the 1980s and early 1990s were published by PP. In 1999 I joined forces w/ John Daniel Publishing, so many of the subsequent 80+ books are listed as PP/JD (if you're searching under the publisher name). It might be easier to check out our website:
www.danielpublishing.com/perseverance

Thanks again, Meredith Phillips

Thanks Meredith and I'll get the name Perseverance Press right now.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2019, 12:33:48 am »

Hi

I'm Jeff Marks, one of the contributing editors. I'm the publisher of Crippen & Landru Publishers, which produces single-author, mystery short story collections.

I've written for Mystery Scene many times over the years (and I wrote for Kate at The Armchair Detective before that.) I love Golden Age mysteries, and I collect American first editions of some of my favorite writers. I've collected all the Christies in first, and now I'm working on EQ and a few others.

Hi Jeff! I'm so excited to see this forum, and I'm even more excited to see an old friend from the former Barnes & Noble Mystery Forum, and an avid Agatha Christie fan! If I remember correctly, your cat is named Tiglash Pileser. Awesome!