Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 95321 times)

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2020, 01:53:34 pm »
Hi everyone!

I see we have a lot of new members signing up in the last little while, which makes sense in these strange times.

Please say Hi when you get a chance and tell us about your favorite mystery book, or movie, or TV show--or ask for a recommendation--or anything.

We all need more diverting things to read right now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:32:38 pm by Brian »

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2020, 01:10:01 am »
Hi! I'm looking for ways to keep communication lines open while I'm cooped up for the foreseeable future. I'm healthy right now except for allergies.

Reading lots of mysteries these days. I just finished Face of a Killer by Robin Burcell. Right now I'm reading Thunderstruck by Erik Larson.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2020, 05:40:46 am »
Welcome aboard Hannah.

And yes, with allergy season upon us it is going to be a hellacious time for all.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2020, 07:12:59 pm »
Welcome aboard Hannah.

And yes, with allergy season upon us it is going to be a hellacious time for all.

I'm washing my hands a lot but with the high pollen count, I'm having a hard time keeping my hands away from my eyes.  Not sneezing too much, at least.

Good luck fighting off your allergies!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2020, 03:52:34 pm »
I want to say Hi and Welcome to all of you who are new to the forum. Reiterating what Brian said, you're all welcome to start topics, suggest features and we're always interested in hearing about what you're reading.

mwbworld

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2020, 07:37:48 am »
Hi all,

I just joined (and just subscribed to Mystery Scene Magazine) and figured that I'd go and introduce myself for what's it worth.

I'm more on the newbie side to mysteries (more of a SF&F person over the years) but I've always followed a bit.   Thanks to the Covidication of our lives I've been watching more especially since subscribing to Britbox where I roared through Vera and am working my way through Inspector Morse as well as Dalziel and Pascoe.  I've historically been a fan of shows like classic Columbo and the 1970s all too short Ellery Queen tv series.  And I have a lot of love for the classic Hollywood comedic mysteries like the Thin Man movies and ones that I'd be less brave enough to admit this early on!   ;D   Because of my interests in things French and Japanese - I do follow some mystery shows and books along there as well.

On the reading front I do things a bit less but it's slowly growing.  Generally I read in ebook form and/or get from the library then only buy the print version when I think I'll be wanting a more permanent copy (or find a good deal on something I want) since space is precious.  I started as a child with Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators (aka Jupiter Jones...) and over the years I've read Rabbi Small, Perry Mason, Ellery Queen, Charlie Chan, Nero Wolfe and Sherlock Holmes, 'natch!  Probably the most recent one I've read and really liked was M.B. Shaw's Murder at the Mill.  I've periodically (pun so intended) read Ellery Queen's and Alfred Hitchcock's magazines (not currently subscribing since I'm way behind in my reading there.)  Recently I bought my first print mystery which I'll looking forward to sitting down with soon is the The First Rumpole Omnibus.

So that's medium of it (not short and not, hopefully, too long) of it.  So still very much on the newish side but hope to learn more!
- Michael

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2020, 11:15:23 am »
Hi all,

I just joined (and just subscribed to Mystery Scene Magazine) and figured that I'd go and introduce myself for what's it worth.

I'm more on the newbie side to mysteries (more of a SF&F person over the years) but I've always followed a bit.   Thanks to the Covidication of our lives I've been watching more especially since subscribing to Britbox where I roared through Vera and am working my way through Inspector Morse as well as Dalziel and Pascoe.  I've historically been a fan of shows like classic Columbo and the 1970s all too short Ellery Queen tv series.  And I have a lot of love for the classic Hollywood comedic mysteries like the Thin Man movies and ones that I'd be less brave enough to admit this early on!   ;D   Because of my interests in things French and Japanese - I do follow some mystery shows and books along there as well.

On the reading front I do things a bit less but it's slowly growing.  Generally I read in ebook form and/or get from the library then only buy the print version when I think I'll be wanting a more permanent copy (or find a good deal on something I want) since space is precious.  I started as a child with Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators (aka Jupiter Jones...) and over the years I've read Rabbi Small, Perry Mason, Ellery Queen, Charlie Chan, Nero Wolfe and Sherlock Holmes, 'natch!  Probably the most recent one I've read and really liked was M.B. Shaw's Murder at the Mill.  I've periodically (pun so intended) read Ellery Queen's and Alfred Hitchcock's magazines (not currently subscribing since I'm way behind in my reading there.)  Recently I bought my first print mystery which I'll looking forward to sitting down with soon is the The First Rumpole Omnibus.

So that's medium of it (not short and not, hopefully, too long) of it.  So still very much on the newish side but hope to learn more!

Welcome aboard mwbworld!

One of my first mystery loves was The Three Investigators as well so you are in good company on that front. I'm also a big fan of Sherlock Holmes. I haven't read any of the Charlie Chan stories in print but grew up as a huge fan of the movies. I did buy a collection of the first year of the newspaper strips that were done featuring Chan though.

I read science fiction and fantasy when I was growing up as well. I don't read much at all in the fantasy genre anymore though. On occasion I read a Star Trek prose novel (and comics along with Star Wars comics too). The one "hard" science fiction series I've stuck with though is David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

I hope you find lots more mysteries to love by reading the board here and trying out different titles we talk about.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2020, 09:31:04 pm »
Hi all,

Welcome! Reading in the time of coronavirus is as weird as everything else is, but I think mysteries can also be a stress-reliever. Thanks for mentioning Rabbi Small - I'd forgotten Harry Kemelman's Rabbi books (FRIDAY THE RABBI SLEPT LATE and so on). I was completely hooked on those back in the day. If I can find a couple, they'd be fun to read again.

I hope you enjoy the Rumpole Omnibus. I'm a huge fan of the Rumpole books and the British TV shows.

You're off to a good start with the mystery shows. Other British mystery shows I would recommend: Lewis, Endeavour, New Tricks, Midsomer Murders, Murder City, Death in Paradise, Murder in Suburbia, Silent Witness, and so on.

Let us know if you come across any books or shows you particularly enjoy. Thanks for joining us!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:46:42 pm by Becke Davis »

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2020, 11:53:00 pm »
Hi all,

Nice to meet you, world. I've seen some of these TV shows and read books about some of the detectives you mentioned. I'm a big fan of Columbo, and I like Monk, too. Even though Monk drives me a little crazy, I like the way he always solves the crimes. I wish they showed reruns of those Ellery Queen episodes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:45:48 pm by Becke Davis »

adela06

• View Profile
    • Jokes For Funny
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2020, 04:31:08 am »
I am passionate about mystery movies, books and more recently about spirituality, manifestation and the power to attract.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:00:51 pm by Becke Davis »

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2020, 09:50:53 pm »
Hi Adela - It sounds like you have an interesting taste in books. What are some of your favorites?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2020, 09:15:37 am »
I am passionate about mystery movies, books and more recently about spirituality, manifestation and the power to attract.

Thanks for joining us, Adela! What are some of your favorite mystery movies and mystery books? New ones, old ones - it doesn't matter.

Do you have plans for the rest of the long weekend?

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2020, 12:40:35 am »
I have some old books by Mary Roberts Rinehart. Over the holidays I want to reread some of those oldies.

manindernxpro

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2021, 09:00:33 pm »
Hello, We are the senior care online team, we are new hare...

we would like to inform you that  Senior Care Online is a platform that connects caregivers and senior care seekers. Many senior citizens needing companionship, greater supervision, and even help to maintain independence and autonomy, needed a tool to connect them with caregivers. So, senior care online is providing this facility to connect care seekers with suitable caregivers without any involvement of a third party. Our simple approach is to facilitate the connection of these two groups & focus on key needs and wishes and match them online as closely as possible. For more info, please visit: https://seniorcareonline.com/ or contact us at: info@seniorcareonline.com