Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 95218 times)

kmckee

• View Profile
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2019, 09:27:33 pm »
Hello Mystery Scene community. 
My name is Kathy and I'm an avid reader of mysteries (and Mystery Scene).   At age 73, I can hardly remember a time when I didn't read mysteries.  I do remember "borrowing" my mother's copies of Agatha Christie and issues of Ellery Queen magazine at an early age and I was immediately hooked. I loved reading the forum introductions with lists of writers I already enjoy but also names of new ones which I am amazed not to have read. 

Won't make my list too long but writers I've enjoyed include what I consider to be classics: Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey, and many more; contemporary writers: Sue Grafton, Sarah Paretsky, Iain Pears (wish he would write more Flavia/Jonathan art history mysteries), Martin Walker, Robert Crais, Marcia Muller, Louise Penny - and many more. 

As a newly retired school law attorney I can now indulge myself without guilt. What a delight to have this forum for mystery fans - a rich resource for more new discoveries.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2019, 03:47:25 am »
My name is Kathy and I'm an avid reader of mysteries (and Mystery Scene).   At age 73, I can hardly remember a time when I didn't read mysteries.  I do remember "borrowing" my mother's copies of Agatha Christie and issues of Ellery Queen magazine at an early age and I was immediately hooked. I loved reading the forum introductions with lists of writers I already enjoy but also names of new ones which I am amazed not to have read. 

Won't make my list too long but writers I've enjoyed include what I consider to be classics: Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey, and many more; contemporary writers: Sue Grafton, Sarah Paretsky, Iain Pears (wish he would write more Flavia/Jonathan art history mysteries), Martin Walker, Robert Crais, Marcia Muller, Louise Penny - and many more. 

As a newly retired school law attorney I can now indulge myself without guilt. What a delight to have this forum for mystery fans - a rich resource for more new discoveries.

Welcome aboard Kathy and congrats on the retirement. I'm a long way from being able to say that but I sure do wish I had the time to indulge in more reading. And I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all.

bobmrg

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2019, 08:35:11 am »
It all boils down to money. It is cheaper to publish an ebook than it is to publish a paper book. Although aviation education is a niche market, I am happy to say that my print books far outsell their ebook equivalents.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2019, 11:58:23 am »
It all boils down to money. It is cheaper to publish an ebook than it is to publish a paper book. Although aviation education is a niche market, I am happy to say that my print books far outsell their ebook equivalents.

It may be cheaper to publish as an ebook for the publisher but they are forgetting about those of us who won't do ebooks. At least if they offered a print on demand option, they'd only print books that were bought and paid for and not have to worry  about unsold copies. Otherwise, they are simply cutting off their nose to spite their face by refusing the option of getting my money.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2019, 01:21:12 pm »
I find I don't retain information very well when I'm reading an ebook. It's also so much harder to go back and find specific points in the text, it drives you crazy. If I travelled all the time I might get an ereader but I'm very happy carrying around a book for now.

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2019, 01:55:21 pm »
My name is Kathy and I'm an avid reader of mysteries (and Mystery Scene).   At age 73, I can hardly remember a time when I didn't read mysteries.  I do remember "borrowing" my mother's copies of Agatha Christie and issues of Ellery Queen magazine at an early age...

That is a great list of writers all of whom I love--except I've never read Martin Walker.

And the reviews and blurbs look great. Thank you! Adding him to my list!

bobmrg

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2019, 02:57:26 pm »

It may be cheaper to publish as an ebook for the publisher but they are forgetting about those of us who won't do ebooks. At least if they offered a print on demand option, they'd only print books that were bought and paid for and not have to worry  about unsold copies. Otherwise, they are simply cutting off their nose to spite their face by refusing the option of getting my money.

My publisher (Aviation Supplies and Academics) plays both sides of the street, making my books available in both formats.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2019, 06:47:42 pm »
Hi everyone!
It's great to see you at the MS Forum. Thanks to everyone who is posting their introductions and comments, we're really enjoying hearing from you all.

If you're just lurking, why not sign up and post a hello? We'd love to have you be part of the conversation.

Aggie

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2019, 05:58:57 pm »
Howdy Mystery Lovers!!

I am a life long reader and my favorite books are mysteries and crime novels.  I started early, gobbling up Agatha Christie, The Hardy Boys, and the Three Investigators. I moved on to many others: Stuart Kaminsky, Earl Emerson, Jan Burke, PJ Tracy, Carol J Perry ( I can't recall them all!) I currently love reading Irish and Scottish Noir, with a current obsession for Stuart MacBride.

I tend to like police procedurals, & P.I.s, with a gritty,dark edge.  8) :D

Looking forward to communicating with other fans and authors.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2019, 05:20:56 am »
Howdy Mystery Lovers!!

I am a life long reader and my favorite books are mysteries and crime novels.  I started early, gobbling up Agatha Christie, The Hardy Boys, and the Three Investigators. I moved on to many others: Stuart Kaminsky, Earl Emerson, Jan Burke, PJ Tracy, Carol J Perry ( I can't recall them all!) I currently love reading Irish and Scottish Noir, with a current obsession for Stuart MacBride.

I tend to like police procedurals, & P.I.s, with a gritty,dark edge.  8) :D

Looking forward to communicating with other fans and authors.

Hi Aggie! I started with The Hardy Boys and The Three Investigators as well. Looking forward to reading more about what you like, particular regarding the P.I.'s with a gritty and dark edge to them.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2019, 03:52:11 am »
Kia ora (hello) everyone,

My name is Craig Sisterson and I'm a lapsed lawyer from New Zealand, currently being a stay-at-home Dad and freelance features writer in London, UK. I've loved mysteries since I was a wee kid (started with Hardy Boys, Secret Seven, then Holmes and Poirot) growing up in the 1980s in a small town near the top of the South Island of New Zealand.

I started writing about mystery fiction for magazines and newspapers in 2008. Since then: hundreds of pieces in dozens of publications in several countries. I'm very grateful to get to be part of such a wonderful community, interviewing authors and chairing events at festivals, talking about the genre on radio, judging book awards in a few countries, and more.

I'm stoked to be a contributor to Mystery Scene in recent years. What a fantastic magazine, full of great writers and writing about our genre. For my part, I began a ways back by interviewing James Runcie (author of the Sidney Chambers mysteries, on which the hit TV show Grantchester is based) in the churchyards where the TV series is shot. In the current Summer 2019 issue I wrote a feature on Australian and New Zealand crime writing, a nod to my own heritage, as well as a few reviews.

I'm a bit of a crime and thriller omnivore, devouring a wide range of tales, from funny to dark and lots in between. I have a lot of US and British favourites, but particularly like exploring other parts of the world through great mystery storytelling.

Looking forward to chatting with other booklovers.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:16:02 am by KiwiCraig »

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2019, 08:14:24 am »

I'm a bit of a crime and thriller omnivore, devouring a wide range of tales, from funny to dark and lots in between. I have a lot of US and British favourites, but particularly like exploring other parts of the world through great mystery storytelling.

Looking forward to chatting with other booklovers.

Hi Craig!

I've found through the books that I've been sent to review that I do invariably end up loving to read about other places in the world (that it is unlikely I'll ever actually visit) and getting to learn a thing or two about life there alongside the mystery itself.

Mack

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2019, 12:14:21 pm »
Hello, Mack here, retired librarian, and reader of crime fiction.

The first mysteries I read were the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton.

My favorite crime fiction subgenre is noir and I adhere to the Otto Penzler definition of noir.

After noir, hardboiled is my next favorite subgenre but, really, I read pretty much anything except cozies.

RobKitchin

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2019, 12:48:45 pm »
Hi, I'm Rob from Ireland. I'm a keen reader of crime fiction since my early 20s. Before that I had a thing for cold war spy novels. I mostly read noir, hardboiled, historical (esp set between 1930 and 1960), police procedurals and comic crime capers, not so much thrillers, psychologicals or cozies. I like to read crime fiction set in different countries and I'm slowly working my way round the world.

I post all my reviews on my blog 'The View From the Blue House' (https://theviewfromthebluehouse.blogspot.com/) and Goodreads and I've just passed the 1000 reviews mark. My on-going issue is wanting to keep up with the work of favourite authors and series while discovering new authors.

I look forward to the chat and also discovering new authors and books.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2019, 01:36:12 pm »
Hi, I'm Rob from Ireland. I'm a keen reader of crime fiction since my early 20s. Before that I had a thing for cold war spy novels. I mostly read noir, hardboiled, historical (esp set between 1930 and 1960), police procedurals and comic crime capers, not so much thrillers, psychologicals or cozies. I like to read crime fiction set in different countries and I'm slowly working my way round the world.

I post all my reviews on my blog 'The View From the Blue House' (https://theviewfromthebluehouse.blogspot.com/) and Goodreads and I've just passed the 1000 reviews mark. My on-going issue is wanting to keep up with the work of favourite authors and series while discovering new authors.

I look forward to the chat and also discovering new authors and books.

Kia ora Rob, great to see you here on these forums.