Author Topic: Best Mysteries of the Decade  (Read 10385 times)

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Best Mysteries of the Decade
« on: January 03, 2020, 10:31:46 am »
I was talking about this with a friend and I could only seriously come up with one book that would qualify as the best mystery of the decade: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. And it didn't even win the Edgar in its year.

Are there any others that would make the short list?

P.S.
For those who haven't read the book or seen the movie already, it's one of those books that is very difficult to read about without seeing the plot spoiled, so just read it!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mysteries of the Decade
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:54:11 pm »
I was talking about this with a friend and I could only seriously come up with one book that would qualify as the best mystery of the decade: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. And it didn't even win the Edgar in its year.

P.S.
For those who haven't read the book or seen the movie already, it's one of those books that is very difficult to read about without seeing the plot spoiled, so just read it!

GONE GIRL would definitely make my Top Ten mysteries of the decade, too. I've read so many mysteries (as I'm sure you have, too) that it's hard to remember all of them. Off the top of my head, I can come up with a few favorites:

TRUST ME by Hank Phillippi Ryan

THE SILENT GIRL by Tess Gerritsen

DARK MATTER by Blake Crouch

THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 by Ruth Ware

THINK OF A NUMBER by John Verdon

TRUST YOUR EYES by Linwood Barclay

WHAT THE DEAD KNOW by Laura Lippman

THE WITCH ELM by Tana French

THE WIFE by Alafair Burke

THE SECRET SISTER by Brenda Novak

TELL NO ONE by Harlan Coben (Had to check when this was published - 2001, so it was in the past decade.)

All of the Three Pines mysteries by Louise Penny (since they all link, it's hard to pick a favorite)

Well, that's a bunch and I haven't even found a methodical way of tracking the books I've read in the 21st century. I used to keep a list on Shelfari and Barnes & Noble, but those list both vanished into the ether. I can track the library books I've checked out but I only joined the library about a year ago. I know I'm forgetting lots of great books.

I'm eager to find out YOUR favorites!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 03:07:44 pm »
"I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:02:08 pm »
"I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes.

I haven't read this but it has an impressive number of reviews - nearly all positive - at Amazon.

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:46:04 am »
Ok, gotta agree with Think of a Number by John Verdon and Tell No One by Harlan Coben. Thanks for reminding me.

John Verdon gets good press, but I still feel like he's underrated. One of my personal favorites for combining twisty plot and good characterization. Terrific portrayal of a marriage.

I Am Pilgrim flew under my radar. Reading the reviews now I don't see how I missed it.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 11:32:51 am »
Before I ever submitted to Mystery Scene, I published a Top Ten Mysteries and Thrillers list on a pop culture site I used to write for years ago.

That list got seen by a PR guy named David Brown at Atria Books. He tracked me down (I didn't have a Twitter account at that point) and asked it I'd be interested in reading and reviewing a book he had. I'd never been asked this before so I said yes. The book was I Am Pilgrim and it was the best book I'd read since RULES OF PREY by John Sandford.

It took me 2 1/2 weeks to write a review that I was happy with before I posted it on the website and sent the link to David Brown. He was surprised that it was the first time I'd ever done a book review before and over the next year or so he sent me 3 or four more books to review. He's also the one who suggested I send a review I did of Thomas Mullen's Darktown to Mystery Scene and that's what got me started as a reviewer with the magazine.

So I guess I have to say I owe it all to I AM PILGRIM!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 12:07:07 pm »
Before I ever submitted to Mystery Scene, I published a Top Ten Mysteries and Thrillers list on a pop culture site I used to write for years ago.

That list got seen by a PR guy named David Brown at Atria Books. He tracked me down (I didn't have a Twitter account at that point) and asked it I'd be interested in reading and reviewing a book he had. I'd never been asked this before so I said yes. The book was I Am Pilgrim and it was the best book I'd read since RULES OF PREY by John Sandford.

It took me 2 1/2 weeks to write a review that I was happy with before I posted it on the website and sent the link to David Brown. He was surprised that it was the first time I'd ever done a book review before and over the next year or so he sent me 3 or four more books to review. He's also the one who suggested I send a review I did of Thomas Mullen's Darktown to Mystery Scene and that's what got me started as a reviewer with the magazine.

So I guess I have to say I owe it all to I AM PILGRIM!

What a great story! Congratulations on your career as a reviewer! Thanks for sharing.

ocogdill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 06:37:36 pm »
This question always puzzles me, which is odd since I review mystery fiction and each year do a top 20 list for the Sun Sentinel and also contribute my favorites to Mystery Scene. So many good books and I thought 2019 was a terrific year for mysteries. I already have read a couple 2020 books that may be on my year end list.

For the 1990s I would say Michael Connelly's The Black Echo as that really got me into reviewing and Val McDermid's A Place of Execution, 1999...2 books that began and ended the 1990s

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 03:57:01 am »

For the 1990s I would say Michael Connelly's The Black Echo as that really got me into reviewing and Val McDermid's A Place of Execution, 1999...2 books that began and ended the 1990s

I've read Michael Connelly's The Black Echo (though I read it AFTER discovering the next book in the series first) but I haven't read any of Val McDermid's books. I keep meaning to but just never seem to find the time.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 05:45:06 pm »
This question always puzzles me, which is odd since I review mystery fiction and each year do a top 20 list for the Sun Sentinel and also contribute my favorites to Mystery Scene. So many good books and I thought 2019 was a terrific year for mysteries. I already have read a couple 2020 books that may be on my year end list.

The first Michael Connelly books I read were THE POET, THE CONCRETE BLONDE and THE BLACK ECHO. I don't remember the order I read them in. I've read a lot of Val McDermid books, and I think A PLACE OF EXECUTION was the first. I remember when the "Moor Murders" were in the news, and how scary that was. That made the book very memorable for me.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 03:04:16 pm »
We have a appreciation of Val McDermid coming in the 2020 Spring Issue #163. At least, I THINK we do. It's a little late....

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 04:36:53 pm »

P.S.

GONE GIRL would definitely make my Top Ten mysteries of the decade, too. I've read so many mysteries (as I'm sure you have, too) that it's hard to remember all of them. Off the top of my head, I can come up with a few favorites:

TRUST ME by Hank Phillippi Ryan

THE SILENT GIRL by Tess Gerritsen

DARK MATTER by Blake Crouch

THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 by Ruth Ware

THINK OF A NUMBER by John Verdon

TRUST YOUR EYES by Linwood Barclay

WHAT THE DEAD KNOW by Laura Lippman

THE WITCH ELM by Tana French

THE WIFE by Alafair Burke

THE SECRET SISTER by Brenda Novak

TELL NO ONE by Harlan Coben (Had to check when this was published - 2001, so it was in the past decade.)

All of the Three Pines mysteries by Louise Penny (since they all link, it's hard to pick a favorite)

Well, that's a bunch and I haven't even found a methodical way of tracking the books I've read in the 21st century. I used to keep a list on Shelfari and Barnes & Noble, but those list both vanished into the ether. I can track the library books I've checked out but I only joined the library about a year ago. I know I'm forgetting lots of great books.

I'm eager to find out YOUR favorites!

Adding two more that I've read this summer:

THE LAST FLIGHT by Julie Clark

THE FIRST TO LIE by Hank Phillippi Ryan