Author Topic: Bookmarks?  (Read 37894 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bookmarks?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 04:24:43 pm »
Molly MacRae shared some images of a cool handmade bookmark that's a cut-out teapot with a teabag attached to it by a string. I tried to attach an image but I can't reduce it enough to get it to fit. Search "teacup bookmarks" and all kinds of cute ones come up!

dhaupt3

• View Profile
    • The Reading Frenzy
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 04:50:17 am »
my preferred reading is digital but when I do open the pages of a print book I love a cute bookmark in fact I just got one from my sister-in-law for Christmas, but I must confess if one isn't around any old piece of paper, losing lottery ticket, grocery receipt etc... will do :)
dhaupt3

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 04:59:41 pm »
my preferred reading is digital but when I do open the pages of a print book I love a cute bookmark in fact I just got one from my sister-in-law for Christmas, but I must confess if one isn't around any old piece of paper, losing lottery ticket, grocery receipt etc... will do :)

Remember when I accidentally fried my Nook awhile back? Well, I'm still reading paper editions of books. True, my house is practically wall-to-wall books (if the predicted Big One comes, we'll be crushed by thousands of books, but what a way to go!), but I get great satisfaction out of sitting in front of the fire (gas log) with a book and a cup of tea (or a soda and a slice of pizza, not picky). I sometimes download PDF files authors send me, but since I have a desktop, it's not easy to comfortably settle down for a long read.

dhaupt3

• View Profile
    • The Reading Frenzy
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 07:12:06 pm »

Remember when I accidentally fried my Nook awhile back? Well, I'm still reading paper editions of books. True, my house is practically wall-to-wall books (if the predicted Big One comes, we'll be crushed by thousands of books, but what a way to go!), but I get great satisfaction out of sitting in front of the fire (gas log) with a book and a cup of tea (or a soda and a slice of pizza, not picky). I sometimes download PDF files authors send me, but since I have a desktop, it's not easy to comfortably settle down for a long read.

I know I know the feel of a real book but I gotta say digital is so convenient, either my kindle, ipad or phone the book goes where I do and I don't have to remember to put it in my purse LOL
dhaupt3

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 02:58:41 am »

I know I know the feel of a real book but I gotta say digital is so convenient, either my kindle, ipad or phone the book goes where I do and I don't have to remember to put it in my purse LOL

My husband might like it if my book collection was digital rather than printed, but I much prefer to hold an actual book in my hands! What can I say, I'm old school!

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:36 pm »
I love collecting cute bookmarks. Although they go in a book and I never see them again... Years ago the Agatha Christie Society had a series of bookmarks dedicated to Christie, Poirot, Miss Marple and some of the collectible first editions. I really enjoyed working on them.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 12:42:17 am »
I love collecting cute bookmarks. Although they go in a book and I never see them again... Years ago the Agatha Christie Society had a series of bookmarks dedicated to Christie, Poirot, Miss Marple and some of the collectible first editions. I really enjoyed working on them.

*gasp!* Agatha Christie bookmarks? I don't think I have any of those. I just Googled "Agatha Christie bookmarks" and there are some very cool ones (I'll have to start a new Pinterest bookmark page). :-)

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 01:59:48 am »

Yes! I know I have a few nice ones, but no idea in what book I might have left them. Luckily, I have plenty more!
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 05:18:52 pm »
Along with bookmarks, let's talk about bookends. I've seen some very cool ones. In fact, I have a Pinterest page that's all about bookends: https://www.pinterest.com/beckedavis/bookends/

I also came across this the other day. Have you ever heard of book inserts? Kind of a cool idea! https://www.boredpanda.com/book-nook-shelf-inserts/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 10:42:59 pm »
Ha, ha, my bookshelves are too full of books for there to be room for bookends! I just use a couple of those thin metal ones (from work) on a couple of shelves with very tall books. Those shelves aren't quite full, and have some of my foreign doll collection on the ends.

Those "book nooks" are very cool, Becke!
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 10:56:36 pm »
Ha, ha, my bookshelves are too full of books for there to be room for bookends! I just use a couple of those thin metal ones (from work) on a couple of shelves with very tall books. Those shelves aren't quite full, and have some of my foreign doll collection on the ends.

Those "book nooks" are very cool, Becke!

My daughter collects dolls - is your collection made up of a particular make of dolls or dolls from particular countries?

I know what you mean about bookends. I have one beautiful pottery set that a friend made for me, some inlaid wood bookends my husband's best man at our wedding made for us long ago, and we have two sets of brass bookends we got for wedding presents. Because they are all special in different ways, I use them as display pieces on bookshelves instead of holding books up.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 01:38:58 pm »
Hey Becke,
You'll be interested in a pair of collectible bookends that Brian and I own. These are glass blocks with the initials ESG etched on them and they came from the estate of Erle Stanley Gardner. We have them holding up a collection of Perry Mason paperbacks from the 1930s, '40s, 50s, etc.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:52:42 pm by Kate Stine, Editor »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 02:45:14 pm »
Hey Becke,
You'll be interested in a pair of collectible bookends that Brian and I own. These are glass blocks with the initials ESG etched on them and they came from the estate of Erle Stanley Gardner. We have them holding up a collection of Perry Mason paperbacks from the 1930s, '40s, 50s, etc.

Wow! How did you come across them? Do you follow auctions, go to estate sales or was it just random chance that led you to those bookends? It sounds like you have a lot of treasures!

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 10:05:01 pm »
My daughter collects dolls - is your collection made up of a particular make of dolls or dolls from particular countries?

They're from different countries. Although the collection does include three Ginny dolls (remember those?) dressed in costumes representing Spain, Scotland, and Holland. Maybe I'll take some pics sometime and post them on Facebook!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bookmarks? (and more)
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 12:27:38 am »

They're from different countries. Although the collection does include three Ginny dolls (remember those?) dressed in costumes representing Spain, Scotland, and Holland. Maybe I'll take some pics sometime and post them on Facebook!

I remember Ginny dolls! I don't think I ever had one, and they were too expensive for us to get any for Jessica when she was little. She might have bought one for herself since she's grown up - most of hers are Japanese-made Blythe dolls, Momokos, etc.

Okay, now I'm really off-topic.  To get us back to books, here's a couple links to mystery books featuring dolls:

https://bookriot.com/2016/10/27/toy-story-in-hell-10-books-featuring-creepy-dolls/

https://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Drew-62-Kachina-Mystery/dp/0448436930

https://agathachristiereadinglist.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/the-dressmakers-doll/