Author Topic: Bookmarks?  (Read 33048 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bookmarks?
« on: January 02, 2020, 01:03:18 am »
Assuming you haven't just finished whatever you've been reading, what are you using for a bookmark? I'm about 50 pages into Ruth Ware's THE LYING GAME, and my bookmark is purple. It's a real bookmark, not a random piece of paper or Kleenex that was handy. It says "Smith Family Bookstore" (Eugene, Oregon) and it has images of a sailing ship, a dragon, a pony and other images that make me think of children's books. I picked up a stack of those bookmarks the last time I was in the store.

What's holding your place in the book you're reading today?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:37:23 pm by Becke Davis »

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Bookmarks?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 03:50:58 am »
I'm using the card I was sent from the publisher to accompany the advance copy of the Kyle Mills/Vince Flynn thriller Lethal Agent. It's the card that acknowledges that I was selected as a Mitch Rapp ambassador in order to get the advance copy.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:30:22 pm »
I'm using the card I was sent from the publisher to accompany the advance copy of the Kyle Mills/Vince Flynn thriller Lethal Agent. It's the card that acknowledges that I was selected as a Mitch Rapp ambassador in order to get the advance copy.

It's almost as fun to get bookmarks from authors and publishers as it is to get advanced copies of their books!  Whenever I manage to go to a mystery conference I end up shipping home boxes of books but loading my carryon with bookmarks and other promos. :-)

AgathaC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:14:02 am »
I have so many bookmarks and I have almost never used one in a book.

For some reason I can pick up any book I've been reading and pretty quickly flip to the page I was on.

... does anyone else do this?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:53:08 am »
I have so many bookmarks and I have almost never used one in a book.

For some reason I can pick up any book I've been reading and pretty quickly flip to the page I was on.

... does anyone else do this?

I am so jealous of your special talent! Unlike you, I'm a klutz and if I drop a book I can almost guarantee the bookmark will fly out and the book will land on some random page.

ocogdill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 06:51:03 pm »
People are always giving me bookmarks as gifts and I use them. Love them. Always rotating among the various books. I CANNOT bend pages.
For our wedding, our favors were fancy bookmarks with a saying about books and pencils. They went over big. I still hear from friends that they still have the bookmarks and still use them.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:54:31 pm »
People are always giving me bookmarks as gifts and I use them. Love them. Always rotating among the various books. I CANNOT bend pages.
For our wedding, our favors were fancy bookmarks with a saying about books and pencils. They went over big. I still hear from friends that they still have the bookmarks and still use them.

What a great idea for wedding favors! I don't even remember what gifts we gave, but I know they weren't anything fancy or expensive - we were young and broke!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 11:56:39 pm »
I have some nice bookmarks, including several leather ones I got when we lived in England years ago, and one beautiful embroidered one, and a couple I got at Barnes & Noble sometime back that have sayings engraved on silver-colored metal. I tend to save rather than use the beautiful ones, though.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 09:37:44 pm »
I have tons of bookmarks! Right now I'm using one with a John Singer Sargent painting; I bought the bookmark at the art museum at Williams College in the Berkshires, when we were there for my parents' 50th anniversary (years ago).

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:02:27 pm by Denise »
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 12:49:11 am »
Denise - I'm not sure if this board is set up to include images. I remember we had a lot of fun sharing images on the B&N board but maybe they had something to do with all the notorious glitches at that forum.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 03:14:34 pm »
Denise - I'm not sure if this board is set up to include images. I remember we had a lot of fun sharing images on the B&N board but maybe they had something to do with all the notorious glitches at that forum.

I think that the B&N boards used different software, but I have been a member of several boards like this one in the past. I know that we couldn't load actual image files, but had to link to an online image (that was when I used to use Photobucket a lot!). I tried the icon above the text box to Insert Image, but it didn't seem to do anything. Then I tried Insert Hyperlink. Finally, I typed the HTML tags in myself. No luck. Oh, well, maybe another member knows how to do it, and will see this.

Edit: Ah! Got it! Was using the wrong kind of brackets!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:52:04 pm by Denise »
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 11:17:11 pm »

I think that the B&N boards used different software, but I have been a member of several boards like this one in the past. I know that we couldn't load actual image files, but had to link to an online image (that was when I used to use Photobucket a lot!). I tried the icon above the text box to Insert Image, but it didn't seem to do anything. Then I tried Insert Hyperlink. Finally, I typed the HTML tags in myself. No luck. Oh, well, maybe another member knows how to do it, and will see this.

Edit: Ah! Got it! Was using the wrong kind of brackets!

You are both patient and persistent - admirable traits! And that image is gorgeous! We celebrated my parents' 50th anniversary (also many years ago) not far from your celebration. I remember visiting an art collection either in the Berkshires or Vermont, but I remember sculptures more than paintings. Did you ever visit the Massachusetts Museum of Modern Art in North Adams? VERY cool!

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 11:51:03 am »
We stayed in Lenox, and visited the Clark Art Institute at Williams College, in Williamstown, and also the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge. The Clark does have sculptures, too, as well as decorative arts (porcelain, silver, etc.): https://www.clarkart.edu/museum/Collections/Browse-Collections#/?sortBy=2&FacetId=12

I have been to North Adams, when my best high school friend went there for her freshman year of college, but not to any museums there.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 07:12:10 am »
The Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA is wonderful. I was surprised to see some movie posters along with all the magazine illustration work which was, of course, outstanding. The Four Freedoms and his other civil rights work was moving. It's a well-designed museum, very worth a day trip.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:47:55 am »
The Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA is wonderful. I was surprised to see some movie posters along with all the magazine illustration work which was, of course, outstanding. The Four Freedoms and his other civil rights work was moving. It's a well-designed museum, very worth a day trip.

My grandmother, who lived in Adams, was a huge fan of Rockwell and use to talk about that museum a lot.