Author Topic: R.I.P. M.C. Beaton  (Read 6029 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
R.I.P. M.C. Beaton
« on: January 01, 2020, 07:45:47 pm »
My friend Susan Stokes just sent me this link - something especially sad about dying on New Year's Day:

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/agatha-raisin-creator-m-c-beaton-dies-83-1145666

"Prolific writer M C Beaton, creator of the much-loved Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth crime series, has died.

Beaton passed away on 30th December aged 83, after a short illness, her publisher Little, Brown said.

Success came to her later in life but she made up for lost time - since 2011 she had been the most borrowed UK adult author in British libraries and her M C Beaton titles have sold in excess of 21 million copies worldwide," L, B said in a statement. "However, she hated being referred to as a ‘cosy’ writer, saying that if anyone called her books cosy she’d give them a Glasgow Kiss. She always saw herself more as an entertainer than author."

M C Beaton's editor Krystyna Green commented: "I’m going to miss her dreadfully as after 23 years I’d grown from being in awe of her, to thinking she was absolutely wonderful - and very kind under her rather fierce exterior. She was forthright and uncompromising and never afraid to express a view, no matter how unfashionable. She was funny, wise, and truly an inspiring, utterly unique individual. This is just such a sad end to the year."

JRob

• View Profile
Re: R.I.P. M.C. Beaton
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 03:49:08 am »
I was sorry to see that news yesterday. From the same article you linked here.

One of the members of the Mystery Book Club that I belong to was a big fan of her books so she was saddened when I messaged her to let her know the news.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. M.C. Beaton
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:56:27 pm »
I was sorry to see that news yesterday. From the same article you linked here.

One of the members of the Mystery Book Club that I belong to was a big fan of her books so she was saddened when I messaged her to let her know the news.

In the obituary, there is a quote from M.C. Beaton that refers to a "Glasgow kiss." I Googled the term, with this result:

"Glasgow kiss (plural Glasgow kisses) (Britain, euphemistic, humorous) A sharp, sudden headbutt to the nose, usually resulting in a broken nose."