Author Topic: Happy New Year! Are you doing any reading tonight?  (Read 7369 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Happy New Year! Are you doing any reading tonight?
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:49:35 pm »
It's quiet at our house tonight. My son and daughter-in-law and our two granddaughters are visiting friends in California. There are 8 kids staying at the house so it's party central! We do have two dogs and three cats to keep us company, and our daughter came over earlier. It's been raining heavily for hours but at least it's too warm for snow. It got up into the 50s today. I've got about 15 minutes to midnight. My husband has on some late night TV show but I wanted to check in quickly and wish you all a very Happy New Year!

We watched two old episodes of Midsomer Murders and a very old episode of a British TV show we used to love - it's called SHOESTRING and it stars the fabulous Trevor Eve. It was one of our favorite shows when we lived in England years ago, and this is the first time it's been available in the U.S.

I also squeezed in some reading today - I'm about half way through Kate Carlisle's THE BOOK SUPREMACY. I like all the details about book binding. :-)

What are you doing tonight?

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Happy New Year! Are you doing any reading tonight?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 01:58:55 pm »
I didn't do a whole lot in terms of partying. I worked all day, then ate dinner at my favorite local restaurant, flirted with the cute waitress, and came home. I read during the course of the day (Lethal Agent by Kyle Mills) but starting at 8:30 pm until midnight I took part in Facebook party for a bunch of Kensington authors.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 05:31:54 pm »
I didn't do a whole lot in terms of partying. I worked all day, then ate dinner at my favorite local restaurant, flirted with the cute waitress, and came home. I read during the course of the day (Lethal Agent by Kyle Mills) but starting at 8:30 pm until midnight I took part in Facebook party for a bunch of Kensington authors.

Sounds like fun! I almost finished my book - conked out with 25 pages to go, so I finished it this morning. Kate Carlisle - if you happen to read this, I really enjoyed the book, especially the kite (wish it could have been on the cover). I wish there could have been more about the herbal Brooklyn repaired. I wondered if it might be based on a book Kate came across in real life.

Trying to decide which book to read next - I have four library books that I should probably read first, or maybe I'll read another of the Nero Wolfe books. So many books, but for a change plenty of time to read them. My husband is watching the Oregon Ducks at the Rose Bowl so we're not going anywhere tonight!

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 02:25:52 am »
Happy New Year!

Tonight I watched the first Midsomer Murders episode with Jones. He showed up as a uniformed constable, and Barnaby asked him who he was. Later Barnaby told him to wear a suit and tie, to work temporarily with him on the CID, and at the end said he would put in a word for him, as Jones had applied to the CID twice already. I'm not sure what happened to Scott; they may have skipped an episode or several. This one involved a "haunted" house!
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 10:44:00 am »
Glad to see so many Midsomer Murders fans on the forum. We're putting together an articles on the show for the upcoming Spring Issue #163 in February!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 11:17:56 am »
Glad to see so many Midsomer Murders fans on the forum. We're putting together an articles on the show for the upcoming Spring Issue #163 in February!

Kate, that article will be an interesting read. My mom loved that show. I only saw a few episodes. I didn't hate it or anything but I didn't feel compelled to sit down and watch it all either. But maybe the article will fuel a fire in me to do so.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 11:54:14 am »
Happy New Year!

Tonight I watched the first Midsomer Murders episode with Jones. He showed up as a uniformed constable, and Barnaby asked him who he was. Later Barnaby told him to wear a suit and tie, to work temporarily with him on the CID, and at the end said he would put in a word for him, as Jones had applied to the CID twice already. I'm not sure what happened to Scott; they may have skipped an episode or several. This one involved a "haunted" house!

I remember that episode! There was so much chemistry between Barnaby and Jones (and, no, I don't mean the romantic kind of chemistry), I was excited to see him again.