Author Topic: Favorite Settings for Mysteries  (Read 10970 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Favorite Settings for Mysteries
« on: December 22, 2019, 01:21:54 pm »
Do you like your mystery reads to be set in the gritty streets of New York or Chicago, "the Smoke" - i.e., London, or other cities in other countries?

Are your favorites set in grand country houses, rustic cottages or seaside retreats? Or do you prefer exotic locales - desert, jungle, mountains or even cruise ships or resorts?

Are you happiest reading about familiar settings or places you've never been?

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Settings for Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 02:33:13 pm »
I don't have a particular favorite place for mysteries or thrillers to be set. If the story is good, the place it occurs tends to not matter that much to me.

That said, I do like reading cozy series that are set in Ireland or Scotland. But again, not a requirement.

One book that I reviewed for mystery scene was set in a town that is 20 minutes from me by car and some of the places mentioned in the book I had actually been there myself, so that was kind of cool thing.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 06:10:04 pm »
I don't have a particular favorite place for mysteries or thrillers to be set. If the story is good, the place it occurs tends to not matter that much to me.

That said, I do like reading cozy series that are set in Ireland or Scotland. But again, not a requirement.

One book that I reviewed for mystery scene was set in a town that is 20 minutes from me by car and some of the places mentioned in the book I had actually been there myself, so that was kind of cool thing.

Archer Mayor's books are set in Vermont, near where my brother lives. He introduced my parents to Mayors' books and gave them one every year.

I now live in Eugene, Oregon, where the late Kate Wilhelm set a lot of books. I had read a few of her books but I'm trying to fill in the ones I've missed. I've also found a lot of books by Aaron Elkins set in Washington and Oregon, and I'm really enjoying those.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 03:45:18 am »
My Dad was originally from Vermont so when he found a Vermont based mystery series (among his many genres read), he always picked them up.

Archer Mayor was a particular favorite. When my dad passed away, I had bought him the latest Mayor book but he never got to read it. So I read it and I've been hooked ever since. Even got to meet the author once.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 03:23:00 pm »
My Dad was originally from Vermont so when he found a Vermont based mystery series (among his many genres read), he always picked them up.

Archer Mayor was a particular favorite. When my dad passed away, I had bought him the latest Mayor book but he never got to read it. So I read it and I've been hooked ever since. Even got to meet the author once.

I've read cozy mysteries by Sarah Graves and Jennie Bentley that are set in Maine, and of course Robert Parker's Spencer books that are set in Boston. New England seems to be a popular setting for murders.

Do any of the rest of you have favorites that are set in your area?

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 06:52:52 pm »

I've read cozy mysteries by Sarah Graves and Jennie Bentley that are set in Maine, and of course Robert Parker's Spencer books that are set in Boston. New England seems to be a popular setting for murders.

Do any of the rest of you have favorites that are set in your area?

The Spenser series is definitely a favorite of mine. I'll have to think about what other New England based series I really enjoy before I can give a complete answer to your question.