Poll

Who are your favorite fictional detectives who are married couples?

Tuppence and Tommy Beresford
1 (25%)
Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane
1 (25%)
Roderick and Troy Alleyn
1 (25%)
Mr. and Mrs. North
0 (0%)
Peter and Rina Decker
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: POLL: Married Detectives  (Read 10008 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
POLL: Married Detectives
« on: December 19, 2019, 10:06:37 am »
Feel free to add write-in votes in the comments. My favorites in the poll are closely tied between Tuppence and Tommy and Roderick and Troy Alleyn. But I'm also very fond of Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid in Deborah Crombie's books.

Nick and Nora Charles are also right up there, but only in the movies. I will always envision Myrna Loy and William Powell - and the fabulous Asta - when I think of Nick and Nora.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:56:42 am by Becke Davis »

JRob

• View Profile
Re: POLL: Married Detectives
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 06:28:46 pm »
Going just from the available poll options, I'm definitely choosing Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus/Decker!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:54:27 pm »
Do you have suggestions for couples to add to the poll? I'm pretty sure I can add to it.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 02:17:01 am »
Going just from the available poll options, I'm definitely choosing Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus/Decker!

That is the only couple that I'm not familiar with. This was a tough choice! It's been many years since I read Mr. & Mrs. North. I enjoyed them, but I love all the others! I picked Tommy & Tuppence.
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 05:01:55 pm »

That is the only couple that I'm not familiar with. This was a tough choice! It's been many years since I read Mr. & Mrs. North. I enjoyed them, but I love all the others! I picked Tommy & Tuppence.

Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus are the creation of Faye Kellerman, who is herself married to best-selling author Jonathan Kellerman. Their son Jesse and daughter Aliza are also authors. If memory serves, both Jonathan and Jesse visited the Barnes & Noble Mystery Forum back in the day. If Wikipedia can be trusted, there are 25 novels featuring Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus. The first was THE RITUAL BATH, published in 1986 and winner of both the Anthony and the Macavity Awards in 1987. I remember reading that book when it first came out - it was unforgettable!

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 11:16:42 am »
My absolute favorite married sleuths are Marcus Didius Falco and Helena Justina in the wonderful Lindsey Davis Falco series.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 04:03:52 pm »
My absolute favorite married sleuths are Marcus Didius Falco and Helena Justina in the wonderful Lindsey Davis Falco series.

I have a couple of Lindsey Davis books in my massive waiting-to-be-read pile but I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read any yet. (At least, not that I can remember. I'm terrible with titles and frequently start reading a book only to realize I've read it before.) Which are your favorites? Is this the type of series where you really need to read the books in order?

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 12:06:04 pm »
Hi Becke,
Yes, the Falco mysteries by Lindsey Davis are best read in order, at least the first 3 or 4. Then it's easier to be out of sequence.

It's interesting to me that Davis had ended the Falco series and started a new series featuring Falco's adopted daughter Flavia Alba. Having seen ancient Rome through Falco's eyes, it's a whole new ballgame with a young woman in the narrator's seat. Davis delves much more deeply into the domestic lives of Roman women, servants and slaves than she did in the Falco books. A very interesting broadening of perspective.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »
Hi Becke,
Yes, the Falco mysteries by Lindsey Davis are best read in order, at least the first 3 or 4. Then it's easier to be out of sequence.

It's interesting to me that Davis had ended the Falco series and started a new series featuring Falco's adopted daughter Flavia Alba. Having seen ancient Rome through Falco's eyes, it's a whole new ballgame with a young woman in the narrator's seat. Davis delves much more deeply into the domestic lives of Roman women, servants and slaves than she did in the Falco books. A very interesting broadening of perspective.

I found THE SILVER PIGS on my to-be-read shelves, and when I Googled it I was happy to see it's the first book in the series! I must have picked it up at a library sale. I have a couple library books to read and then I'll add that to my "next up" stack. A couple of Nero Wolfe books are at the top of that pile right now. I read THE DOORBELL RANG and I have two others waiting for me to read faster!

I checked again and didn't find any other Lindsey Davis books hiding around the house. Oh well!

dhaupt3

• View Profile
    • The Reading Frenzy
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 04:57:21 am »
My favorite are Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James :)
dhaupt3

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 04:50:03 pm »

THE SILVER PIG is now in my waiting-to-be-read pile, which has exploded in the past month or so. Gee, I wonder how that happened?