Author Topic: What are some of your favorite blogs or Facebook pages for mystery lovers?  (Read 16302 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There are all kinds of resources out there if you're aiming to find good mysteries to read - your local library can probably provide a list of local authors, or books set in your area, which can be fun.

I subscribe to a lot of author newsletters so I don't miss their new releases - authors like Brad Parks, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Christina Dodd, Brenda Novak, Suzanne Brockmann, Katia Lief/Karen Ellis, Lois Winston, Joanna Campbell Slan and Libby Fischer Hellmann are just a few whose updates I get. You can usually subscribe on an author's website.

When it comes to blogs, you can't go wrong with Janet Rudolph, whose seasonal book lists are fabulous! Janet's posts also announce award-winning books, upcoming conferences and even mystery-related cartoons. Mystery Fanfare is here: http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/

If you lean toward cozy mysteries, or what I call "cozy-ish crime," check out Dru Ann Love's prolific posts at Dru's Book Musings: https://drusbookmusing.com/  Almost every day she features books and showcases authors. I met Dru Ann at Malice Domestic and she's even more fun than I thought she'd be!

On Facebook, the group DorothyL is described as a "Discussion of Mystery literature and related media. Celebrating 24 years as a Listserv discussion list :) http://kovacs.com/dorothyl/" Subscribe: http://listserv.kent.edu/dorothylhttps://listserv.kent.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=DOROTHYL

JRob

• View Profile
Re: What are some of your favorite blogs or Facebook pages for mystery lovers?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 09:06:54 pm »
I subscribe to a few author newsletters, most particularly Edith Maxwell's.

I read Jungle Red Writers on a daily basis and I read Bolo Books regularly as well.

It's not that I wouldn't like to read more, but I have only so much time and I also avoid most reviews in case I end up reading a book for review purposes since I don't want one of their reviews to affect what I end up writing.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 12:39:46 am »
I subscribe to a few author newsletters, most particularly Edith Maxwell's.

I read Jungle Red Writers on a daily basis and I read Bolo Books regularly as well.

It's not that I wouldn't like to read more, but I have only so much time and I also avoid most reviews in case I end up reading a book for review purposes since I don't want one of their reviews to affect what I end up writing.

I love Jungle Red Writers - all of the authors on that blog are excellent! http://www.jungleredwriters.com/

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 09:58:52 am »
I've met Hank, Julia, Hallie, Lucy and Rhys from the current membership plus Ingrid Thoft who isn't a member of the blog now.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 04:32:11 pm »
I've met Hank, Julia, Hallie, Lucy and Rhys from the current membership plus Ingrid Thoft who isn't a member of the blog now.

Have you ever gone to Bouchercon? I've only been once and I found it a little intimidating but also thrilling to meet so many wonderful authors in real life!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 07:39:31 pm »

Have you ever gone to Bouchercon? I've only been once and I found it a little intimidating but also thrilling to meet so many wonderful authors in real life!

I've never been to Bouchercon. It's just not financially possible for me. Maybe if they ever brought it to Boston I could think about going otherwise it isn't in the cards for me.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 12:48:04 am »

I've never been to Bouchercon. It's just not financially possible for me. Maybe if they ever brought it to Boston I could think about going otherwise it isn't in the cards for me.

I can relate. The only one I went to was in Indianapolis, and I was living in Cincinnati - two and a half hours away - at the time. The most reasonably priced mystery event I attended was Magna Cum Murder but since that is in Muncie, Indiana, it's still a trek for you.

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 08:42:42 am »
Magna Cum Murder is now held in Indianapolis at the Columbia Club on the Circle. It's still sponsored by Ball State University and is a wonderfully relaxed and welcoming conference.

In the Northeast, there's Crimebake which is held in Woburn, MA. It's sponsored by MWA ands Sisters in Crime and has lots of interest for writers, but also for fans. They tend to sell out so check the website when registration opens in May.

In addition to the author email newsletters already mentioned, Louise Penny has an excellent newsletter.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 05:07:46 pm »

In the Northeast, there's Crimebake which is held in Woburn, MA. It's sponsored by MWA ands Sisters in Crime and has lots of interest for writers, but also for fans. They tend to sell out so check the website when registration opens in May.

Yep, Crimebake is one that I'm trying to go to if I can.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 09:49:40 pm »
Magna Cum Murder is now held in Indianapolis at the Columbia Club on the Circle. It's still sponsored by Ball State University and is a wonderfully relaxed and welcoming conference.

In addition to the author email newsletters already mentioned, Louise Penny has an excellent newsletter.

Well, I am critically out-of-date! Here's the link to Magna Cum Murder if any of you wants to register. Crimebake sounds like it would be a lot of fun - maybe someday! http://crimebake.org/about-crime-bake-2/

I just signed up for newsletters from both Louise Penny and Tana French. :-)

One newsletter that always makes me laugh is Brad Parks'. His books can be dark but are still witty.

Any other newsletter recommendations? I sometimes set them aside in my "Blogs and newsletters to read later" folder, but I do get to them eventually.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 09:54:13 pm »

I was excited to see this on Louise Penny's website: "Lots of exciting things happening. If you'd like to follow along, feel free to either join me on Facebook, or sign up for the newsletter.

There is also the site, Gamacheseries.com, a sort of virtual bistro where we discuss various themes and issues in the series. There’s a new feature, leading up to the publication of A BETTER MAN. We call it The Annotated Three Pines. There’s also the Cultural Inspirations for Three Pines. The merry minstrel of Three Pines, Paul Hochman, takes it one book at a time, and examines the art, literature, poetry, music, philosophy that informs the themes of the series. The latest addition to the virtual bistro are the Postcards from Three Pines. Love for you to join us there."

Paul Hochman was one of my supervisors at Barnes & Noble. Small world! :-)

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 01:37:41 am »
Becke, if you ever go to Crimebake, you'll have to let me know! I live very close to Woburn, so we could get together! I checked out their website, and it seems to really be for authors, so I don't think it's for me.
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 03:52:25 am »
Becke, if you ever go to Crimebake, you'll have to let me know! I live very close to Woburn, so we could get together! I checked out their website, and it seems to really be for authors, so I don't think it's for me.

Denise,

I've talked with some of the people who run the event and while it is geared towards authors, fans are welcome as well. It's a capped attendance event so you do have to get in early when registration opens, in May I think. Plus if you've ever had an inkling of writing a story/book, the classes they do are probably well worth it.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 01:10:36 am »

I haven't been out to visit my brother in Vermont in years, so I'm overdue for a trip to New England. If I do get out there I'll definitely let you know!