Author Topic: Laura Lippman, THE LADY IN THE LAKE  (Read 5579 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Laura Lippman, THE LADY IN THE LAKE
« on: December 12, 2019, 12:13:57 pm »
A bug chunk of my budget goes to books, but with the holidays approaching, I'm pinching pennies. Luckily, I found out I can reserve new releases at my library. This week I picked up Laura Lippman's THE LADY IN THE LAKE. I've heard such good things about this book, and I'm eager to dig in. Unfortunately, some kind of nasty norovirus is going through our house. It has left me headachy and gross, and it's disrupting my reading. But I'm going to try again today.

This is interesting: https://www.npr.org/2019/07/25/742220303/real-disappearances-are-the-premise-for-laura-lippmans-lady-in-the-lake

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Laura Lippman, THE LADY IN THE LAKE
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:28:29 am »
I hope you're feeling better soon, Becke.

I really loved LADY IN THE LAKE. Laura Lippman is such an intelligent writer, I find myself thinking of her books for months (or years) after reading them.

This quote from Lippman about her main character was interesting. Her LADY IN THE LAKE was inspired by two deaths in 1960s Baltimore.

"There is a lot of ethical turmoil about being someone who writes books inspired by real-life crimes, real-life tragedies. And I like to think that I'm a little more introspective about it than Maddie, that I'm trying to be as ethical as I can, that I'm trying to do the right thing. But that doesn't necessarily make it so, does it?"

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Laura Lippman, THE LADY IN THE LAKE
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 10:51:45 am »
I hope you're feeling better soon, Becke.

I really loved LADY IN THE LAKE. Laura Lippman is such an intelligent writer, I find myself thinking of her books for months (or years) after reading them.

This quote from Lippman about her main character was interesting. Her LADY IN THE LAKE was inspired by two deaths in 1960s Baltimore.

"There is a lot of ethical turmoil about being someone who writes books inspired by real-life crimes, real-life tragedies. And I like to think that I'm a little more introspective about it than Maddie, that I'm trying to be as ethical as I can, that I'm trying to do the right thing. But that doesn't necessarily make it so, does it?"

The first books of Laura Lippman's I read were WHAT THE DEAD KNOW, TO THE POWER OF THREE and THE GIRL IN THE GREEN RAINCOAT. The last was very different from the other two but I liked them all. I've seen her books compared to Tana French. I'm not sure I'd agree, but I can see comparisons in the quality of the writing to Ruth Rendell's books and Tess Gerritsen's THE SILENT GIRL. I still have more books to read from Lippman's backlist. So many books - I need to read faster!