Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 189287 times)

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #75 on: February 29, 2020, 02:44:18 pm »
Right now I'm reading ATLAS OF THE ROMAN WORLD by Tim Cornell and John Matthews (Facts on File, 1982) which I picked up in Lyric Bookstore in Saratoga Springs, NY. I've read all of the Lindsey Davis Falco novels as well as her new series about Flavia Albia both of which are set around 70-85 AD in the Roman Empire. ATLAS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE is excellent, lots of maps, drawings and photos to illustrate a clearly told history of the empire. One of the things I really admire about Davis's books is the understanding of the ins and outs of running an empire, the day to day functions of various offices and departments. This is more evident in the Falco books, the Flavia Albia books are more concentrated on the domestic sphere which is fascinating as well.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2020, 02:47:49 pm »
I always have a little trouble jumping back in time in books - although I found Mary Stewart's Arthurian books addictive. Once I familiarize myself with the time and setting it gets easier for me, so I just need to sit down to read THE SILVER PIGS - without grandkids interrupting, if possible.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2020, 06:39:21 pm »
I finished reading WHISKEY SOUR, the first book in the Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels series by J.A. Konrath.

It was this month's mystery book club selection for the local library. I was the one who suggested it and while I liked it overall, there were some things that stuck out as a bit odd for me. And given the makeup of the majority of the book club members being older women, I'm fairly sure that their reaction to the book is going to be negative.

I hadn't read anything about the book prior to suggesting it. I just wanted to read something that I hadn't read before which is why I made the suggestion. I will have to be a bit more selective in the future I think.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2020, 07:21:06 pm »
I started thinking about Mary Stewart and discovered two stories that were previously only available as ebooks are now combined in one paperback volume. So I bought and just finished reading THE WIND OFF THE SMALL ISLES and THE LOST ONE. There is a preface by Mary Stewart's niece, which I loved. THE LOST ONE is a longish short story - not quite novella length - and it's pretty much a straight forward mystery, or mystery-adventure.

THE WIND OFF THE SMALL ISLES has elements of mystery - and there are spooky underwater scenes - but I found this one more in the traditional of a Mary Stewart story. The end of this small book includes an excerpt of THIS ROUGH MAGIC. This is not a particular favorite but reading the excerpt has made me want to start a rereading binge. I'll probably hold off on that because I have so many books in the waiting-to-be-read pile right now.

I'm back to THE LOCH NESS PAPERS which I am really enjoying, and after this I've got Carlene O'Connor's MURDER IN AN IRISH VILLAGE up next. ONE NIGHT GONE by Tara Laskowski is also calling out to me.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2020, 06:12:22 pm »
I just finished the James R. Benn novel BILLY BOYLE: A WORLD WAR II MYSTERY tonight. For the most part, I really loved the book. I did a brief review of the book on Goodreads which you can read HERE!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2020, 06:52:12 pm »
I just finished the James R. Benn novel BILLY BOYLE: A WORLD WAR II MYSTERY tonight. For the most part, I really loved the book. I did a brief review of the book on Goodreads which you can read HERE!

I finished Deanna Raybourn's latest, A MURDEROUS RELATION, in the wee hours of this morning. I've read all the books in this series and once again this one gripped me. There is a sub-plot about Jack the Ripper.

Did any of you see the TV series WHITECHAPEL? That one is fascinating.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2020, 03:31:28 pm »

I saw the first two seasons but didn't see the last two.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2020, 04:06:11 pm »

I saw the first two seasons but didn't see the last two.

More Ripper films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lodger:_A_Story_of_the_London_Fog

I saw this one years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lodger_(1944_film)

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2020, 10:27:32 am »
There is a superb episode of the science fiction show Babylon 5 entitled "Comes The Inquisitor" I think you'd like. The first time I saw it my mouth dropped and actually saw me say out loud "HOLY S***!" in amazement.

I can't say more but if you get the chance I think you will like that episode.

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2020, 10:43:27 pm »
Becke, I've seen both versions of The Lodger that you mentioned. I saw the 1944 film first, and later I saw the Hitchcock version (I own it). I probably first watched it when I was taking a class on Hitchcock on B&N University! It was taught by Donald Spoto, who is mentioned in the article you posted, and we used his book for the text.
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."  "An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it." - Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2020, 10:09:02 pm »
Becke, I've seen both versions of The Lodger that you mentioned. I saw the 1944 film first, and later I saw the Hitchcock version (I own it). I probably first watched it when I was taking a class on Hitchcock on B&N University! It was taught by Donald Spoto, who is mentioned in the article you posted, and we used his book for the text.

Hi Denise - I saw the 1944 movie years ago and I thought it was very creepy. I don't think I've seen the other one. I took (and taught) some classes at B&N's online university - I wish I'd caught the Hitchcock class!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2020, 04:30:56 pm »
This post isn't about what I'm currently reading but rather what I'll be reading in the coming weeks.

I just got my latest batch of review copies from Mystery Scene and they are quite a mix of stuff to look forward to.

Four books to check out and hopefully enjoy enough to write a review.

Leonard Goldberg's The Art of Deception
Ron Corbett's Mission Road
Robyn Gigl's By Way of Sorrow
The Mist by Ragnar Jonasson (I think my sister reads this author, so she's going to be so jealous!)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2020, 05:45:15 pm »
There is a superb episode of the science fiction show Babylon 5 entitled "Comes The Inquisitor" I think you'd like. The first time I saw it my mouth dropped and actually saw me say out loud "HOLY S***!" in amazement.

I can't say more but if you get the chance I think you will like that episode.

My husband used to watch this show a lot - I wonder if he remembers this episode. I'll check!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My latest read is...THE HUNTING PARTY by Lucy Foley
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2020, 05:47:04 pm »
I've just been sick enough that reading is difficult, but luckily the headachy part seems to be clearing up. I just started reading THE HUNTING PARTY by Lucy Foley. I'm not very far but I'm enjoying it!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2020, 10:57:44 am »
I finished Catherine Maiorisi's A MATTER OF BLOOD a couple days ago and just got around to doing up my review of it over on Goodreads. I really liked it overall. Here's what I wrote about the book (I hope it does it justice) - REVIEW LINK