Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 204883 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 03:48:05 am »
Kate,

Like I said, I was floored when she just offered to do that. And I loved that interview that was in Mystery Scene.

I've gone to a couple of her book signings and had a great time listening to her talk about her books/writing.

I'm really hoping that people show up to the group in a couple of days, I think they'd really enjoy hearing Ingrid talk.

The library supposedly did a press release up for the local papers and the woman who moderates the meetings sent out an email to everyone that has attended past meetings.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2019, 08:30:09 am »
I just finished reading the 2017 Matthew Betley action thriller "Oath Of Honor".

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 02:31:32 pm »
I finished reading an advance copy of the Christmas themed novella collection "Christmas Cocoa Murder". It has three stories in it. They are written by Carlene O'Connor, Maddie Day and Alex Erickson.

I really enjoyed it and put a review of the book up on another book related site.

Full disclosure, I received the advance copy from author Maddie Day.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2019, 04:06:02 pm »
I finished the Jack Carr thriller "True Believer" yesterday.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 03:38:41 pm »
I finished reading the advance copy of debut novelist Nicole Asselin's "Murder At First Pitch", the first in her Ballpark Mysteries series.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2019, 10:00:25 am »
Currently reading I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS by William Deverell, a doyen of Canadian crime fiction. Not a new book for a review or anything, but just one I'd been looking forward to getting off my shelf. Fascinating thusfar as it takes his longstanding legal eagle hero Arthur Beauchamp reminiscing back to a case early in his career where an indigenous man was at risk of the noose. Deverell is a very fine writer.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 12:31:48 pm »
I finished the Cornelia Kidd novel "Death and a Pot of Chowder". Sadly, what was intended to be the first book in the Maine Murder series is the only book we'll see. The author, real name Lea Wait, passed away a few weeks ago.

I really enjoyed the book and would have loved to see where the story would've gone next.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 02:09:58 pm »
I got my hands on the new Lorna Barrett Booktown mystery "A Killer Edition" and powered my way through it rather quickly. Pretty enjoyable read and continues my love of the series.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 04:22:31 pm »
Besides reading Volumes 1 and 2 of the For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library collections, I finished David Baldacci's Long Road To Mercy. That's the first book in his Atlee Pine series. I got that from the library to read when I received the ARC to A Minute To Midnight which is the follow up book to Long Road To Mercy. I finished that one as well and I'll be working on my draft review to submit to the magazine!

kmckee

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2019, 09:38:01 pm »
I just finished reading three books by Ovidia Yu ("one of Singapore's best-known and most acclaimed writers") featuring amateur detective Chen Su Lin and set in 1930s Singapore.  Here's what Catriona McPherson had to say about the books:  "Simply glorious.  Every nook and cranny of 1930s Singapore is brought richly to life, without ever getting in the way of a classic puzzle plot.  But what's a setting without a jewel?  Chen Su Lin is a true gem.  Her slyly witty voice and her admirable, sometimes heartbreaking, practicality make her the most beguiling narrator heroine I've met in a long while."   First book is The Frangipani Tree Mystery. Hope Yu continues the series.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2019, 03:51:47 am »
I haven't heard of Ovidia Yu before now, so I'll have to look into the books and see if they interest me. Of course, then if they do I'll be buying the books (or looking to see if my local library might have the books).

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 03:03:20 pm »
I finished reading the Agatha Christie novel 'A Holiday For Murder' for my library's Mystery Book Club selection.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »
I just picked up Kate Carlisle's Homicide in Hardcover from the local library as it is the selection of the month for the library's mystery book club. I'm just diving into it so I'm looking forward to seeing how it is since it has been a series I've been wanting to try out.

I've read several of Kate Carlisle's books and have a couple more in my to-be-read pile. I look for cozy mysteries (and other books) related to books and librarys, and I "unofficially" collect books related to Agatha Christie and/or her books.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2019, 06:41:13 am »

I've read several of Kate Carlisle's books and have a couple more in my to-be-read pile. I look for cozy mysteries (and other books) related to books and librarys, and I "unofficially" collect books related to Agatha Christie and/or her books.

I haven't read any more of Kate Carlisle's books yet but she's on the list.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2019, 06:57:57 pm »
They weren't mysteries but I finished three graphic novels that I wanted to read before the year was out.

Star Power and The Mystery of the Zel Gux Dynasty
Star Power and The Lonely War
Firefly: The Sting

Before that I finished the 2nd of three ARCs sent to me by Mystery Scene for review purposes. That one was by S.L. McInnis and it was entitled Framed.

Currently, I'm reading Lethal Agent by Kyle Mills, the latest Mitch Rapp novel which I hope to finish by the end of 2019.