Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 189613 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2020, 03:52:14 am »
I haven't had any ghostly encounters, at least that I know of.

Oh, and on Sunday I finished reading ROBERT B. PARKER'S ANGEL EYES by Ace Atkins.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 23, 2020, 01:51:55 am »
I haven't had any ghostly encounters, at least that I know of.

Oh, and on Sunday I finished reading ROBERT B. PARKER'S ANGEL EYES by Ace Atkins.

I've read a couple of the Ace Atkins Robert B. Parker books, and was surprised to find that I liked them a lot. I've read all of Robert B. Parker's originals and loved them. I liked the SPENCER TV show, too.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 23, 2020, 03:43:18 am »
I've read a couple of the Ace Atkins Robert B. Parker books, and was surprised to find that I liked them a lot. I've read all of Robert B. Parker's originals and loved them. I liked the SPENCER TV show, too.

The Spenser TV show was a favorite of mine. I have all three seasons on DVD. Robert B. Parker wasn't really a fan of it, but I think he was wrong in this particular case.

And I used to be very against continuing a series after an author dies but between Kyle Mills taking over the Mitch Rapp series after Vince Flynn's death and Ace Atkins taking over the Spenser series I've had a small change of opinion. The first two books Atkins wrote in the Spenser series made my Top 10 list in those particular years..

Meanwhile, I'm currently trying to read an advance copy of the upcoming P.J. Tracy book DEEP INTO THE DARK.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2020, 01:18:31 am »
I read P.J. Tracy's MONKEEWRENCH when it first came out, and I loved it. I've read every book in the series. I didn't like them all as well as I liked the first one, but I liked them enough to keep coming back for more. I'm sure I'll pick up the new book eventually, too. (I say eventually because I'm barely making a dent in my to-be-read pile, despite my concerted effort to read the books I already own.

I hope you all find time to read over the holidays. Stay safe!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 27, 2020, 05:33:55 pm »
My plan to dig in and read a lot of books over the holidays isn't notably making tracks. I've been reading Ann Purser's THE HANGMAN'S ROW INQUIRY for several days. I like the book but it's very rowdy around here at the moment and it's hard to focus. Still, I'm almost finished. Wish me luck!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 27, 2020, 08:37:30 pm »
I've been trying to get into reading an advance copy of the new P.J. Tracy book but I'm not making much headway. It's not rowdy here but I'm finding myself either terribly distracted by other things I need to do and/or terribly disinterested in the book itself. I'm making more of a push tomorrow but if I can't make some progress towards actually being interested in the story, I'm going to give up on it.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 31, 2020, 02:22:59 pm »
It's hard to finish a book that isn't holding your interest. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a particular book, but then if I pick it up later, I feel differently about it. Right now I have a wealth of books I want to read and I keep starting different ones, and then jumping to another. I'm enjoying all of them but it's taking me longer than usual to actually finish a book right now.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 03, 2021, 08:09:58 pm »
It took me a good long while, too long really, but I finished DEEP INTO THE DARK by P.J. Tracy today. Hopefully I can write a review and submit it to the magazine.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2021, 08:41:08 am »
I'm looking forward to reading your review!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2021, 03:40:04 pm »

If only I can figure out how to write it. I submitted one review today and I'll work on that one tomorrow. Oh, and I've started reading the third of four books I got advance copies of. It's Donna Leon's Transient Desires. It should prove interesting because I've never read her books before.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2021, 02:16:27 am »

If only I can figure out how to write it. I submitted one review today and I'll work on that one tomorrow. Oh, and I've started reading the third of four books I got advance copies of. It's Donna Leon's Transient Desires. It should prove interesting because I've never read her books before.

I have a couple of her books in my waiting-to-be-read pile. I remember Kate Stine recommended them and I do plan to read them. I'm easily distracted these days, unfortunately.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2021, 02:18:27 am »
I finished MURDER AT HONEYCHURCH HALL by Hannah Dennison today. There are several other books in this series. I'll probably read more of them, if only I can find them in stores or - I live in hope! - at the library, when it finally opens again.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2021, 02:21:01 am »
I'm reading BATS IN THE BELFRY by E.C.R. Lorac. I wish I had an edition with this cool cover, but mine is much more prosaic.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2021, 03:50:24 am »
I'm still trying to finish the Donna Leon book. I've got about 50 pages to go.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2021, 03:04:19 pm »
PRETTY AS A PICTURE by Elizabeth Little

I thought I knew what I was going to read next, but then my daughter gave me a book and said, "Read this!" I'm about a third of the way into it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Nothing much has happened yet, but there are intimations of things to come. The main character is definitely quirky.

Here's a review I found: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/elizabeth-little/pretty-as-a-picture/