Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 189318 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2020, 10:49:50 am »

I haven't written the reviews yet but I've finished an advance copy of the Kyle Mills thriller TOTAL POWER (the upcoming new Mitch Rapp book) and the newly published Booktown Mystery HANDBOOK FOR HOMICIDE by Lorna Barrett.

Here's my brief write up for Lorna Barrett's Handbook for Homicide.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2020, 12:52:44 am »

I haven't written the reviews yet but I've finished an advance copy of the Kyle Mills thriller TOTAL POWER (the upcoming new Mitch Rapp book) and the newly published Booktown Mystery HANDBOOK FOR HOMICIDE by Lorna Barrett.

Here's my brief write up for Lorna Barrett's Handbook for Homicide.

Thanks so much for sharing your review. I went to Barnes & Noble today and spent way too much (well, I had to get books for my granddaughters, too, didn't I?) so it's a good thing I read this when I got home. My wish list is ridiculously long even after a few book splurges recently. It will be a reality check when the library opens because if I start checking out all the books I want to read, I'll have to read them before the due date. Aaauughhh!

Soooo many books I want to read, and my to-be-read pile is pretty massive, including both old and new books.  Today's additions to the pile: Hank Phillippi Ryan's THE FIRST TO LIE, Jeanne M. Dams A DAGGER BEFORE ME, Ellery Adams' MURDER IN THE READING ROOM, Nancy Warren's 3rd book in the Vampire Knitting Club series - CROCHET AND CAULDRONS, and Ann Cleeves' THE LONG CALL.

Time for a READING BINGE!!!!!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2020, 08:22:35 am »

Thanks so much for sharing your review. I went to Barnes & Noble today and spent way too much (well, I had to get books for my granddaughters, too, didn't I?) so it's a good thing I read this when I got home. My wish list is ridiculously long even after a few book splurges recently. It will be a reality check when the library opens because if I start checking out all the books I want to read, I'll have to read them before the due date. Aaauughhh!

Soooo many books I want to read, and my to-be-read pile is pretty massive, including both old and new books.  Today's additions to the pile: Hank Phillippi Ryan's THE FIRST TO LIE, Jeanne M. Dams A DAGGER BEFORE ME, Ellery Adams' MURDER IN THE READING ROOM, Nancy Warren's 3rd book in the Vampire Knitting Club series - CROCHET AND CAULDRONS, and Ann Cleeves' THE LONG CALL.

Time for a READING BINGE!!!!!

I got THE FIRST TO LIE from Hank Phillippi Ryan on Friday. I have to go back to the bookstore today because an author that was featured on the Jungle Red Writers blog today was interesting and her first book is in stock. So I'm going to pick that up.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2020, 01:52:12 pm »
FIRST TO LIE is my favorite of Hank's books so far, and I've read them all. This one is tricky. I haven't reviewed anything in ages but I'd like to review this one if I can just figure out a way to do it justice without giving anything away. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Meantime, I just started reading Con Lehane's MURDER AT THE 42ND STREET LIBRARY. I really liked the other book I read in this series, MURDER IN THE MANUSCRIPT ROOM. I think Jay first introduced me to this series. Still have one more to go!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2020, 04:58:07 pm »
FIRST TO LIE is my favorite of Hank's books so far, and I've read them all. This one is tricky. I haven't reviewed anything in ages but I'd like to review this one if I can just figure out a way to do it justice without giving anything away. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Meantime, I just started reading Con Lehane's MURDER AT THE 42ND STREET LIBRARY. I really liked the other book I read in this series, MURDER IN THE MANUSCRIPT ROOM. I think Jay first introduced me to this series. Still have one more to go!

I might've mentioned the Con Lehane series but I only heard of it because I saw a review of one of the books in Mystery Scene's print edition I believe.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2020, 06:40:42 pm »

I might've mentioned the Con Lehane series but I only heard of it because I saw a review of one of the books in Mystery Scene's print edition I believe.

I wish I could visit that library branch!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2020, 08:07:31 pm »
I finished reading MURDER ON THE SILVER SCREEN which is the third book in the Movie Palace mystery series by Margaret Dumas.

I got it in the mail on Friday after learning that it had been published back in June.  I didn't think there would be a third book in the series because I'd heard that the publisher of the series had dropped nearly all of their authors a while back.

But while I haven't written a review of the book yet, I can tell you that it was fantastic. I've really enjoyed the series so far and this book was no exception to that. I can only hope there is more to come somehow because I really want to see where this story goes next.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2020, 07:06:23 pm »
I finished reading MURDER ON THE SILVER SCREEN which is the third book in the Movie Palace mystery series by Margaret Dumas.

I got it in the mail on Friday after learning that it had been published back in June.  I didn't think there would be a third book in the series because I'd heard that the publisher of the series had dropped nearly all of their authors a while back.

But while I haven't written a review of the book yet, I can tell you that it was fantastic. I've really enjoyed the series so far and this book was no exception to that. I can only hope there is more to come somehow because I really want to see where this story goes next.

Both my wish list and my waiting-to-be-read pile are getting pretty scary. But no matter how many books I'm hoping to read soon, I can always squeeze in a couple more. This series definitely sounds like fun!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2020, 04:06:12 am »

Both my wish list and my waiting-to-be-read pile are getting pretty scary. But no matter how many books I'm hoping to read soon, I can always squeeze in a couple more. This series definitely sounds like fun!

Becke,

It definitely is a fun series to read. And it is slightly out of my preferred reading zone due the inclusion of a particular character. But oddly enough, I have come to love that character as nearly my favorite one in the series.

Margaret Dumas has done the impossible in making me a huge fan of this series and that character.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2020, 12:34:46 am »

Becke,

It definitely is a fun series to read. And it is slightly out of my preferred reading zone due the inclusion of a particular character. But oddly enough, I have come to love that character as nearly my favorite one in the series.

Margaret Dumas has done the impossible in making me a huge fan of this series and that character.

I'm really looking forward to reading this series now. Once I do, I'll have to check in with you to see if I can identify the character you mentioned.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 22, 2020, 02:00:23 am »
I forgot to mention a couple of books I read in the past week. I'm eager to read more of Nancy Warren's VAMPIRE KNITTING CLUB mysteries. I liked the third one, CROCHET AND CAULDRONS, a lot. Sign up for Nancy's newsletter and you can download a prequel to this series here: https://nancywarren.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=cbdfe67e2fc355b2308c7dfd2&id=aa0a55027d

I have my copy but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I also read an oldie by Connie Shelton, BALLOONS CAN BE MURDER. I especially enjoyed this one because it is set in New Mexico, moving between Albuquerque, Clovis and Santa Fe. The main part of the book centers around the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon festival. https://balloonfiesta.com/

I'm currently reading Philip R. Craig's MURDER AT A VINEYARD MANSION. I'm about halfway through it - I'm enjoying it!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2020, 08:40:54 am »
The book I'm currently reading has been a bit of a struggle. I loved the first book in the series, gave it a great review in Mystery Scene. But book 2 hasn't drawn me in quite the same. There's reasons for that which I'll go into when I write my Goodreads review after I finish reading it.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2020, 06:11:36 pm »

Here's my review of MURDER ON THE SILVER SCREEN.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2020, 10:44:47 pm »
I forgot to mention a couple of books I read in the past week. I'm eager to read more of Nancy Warren's VAMPIRE KNITTING CLUB mysteries. I liked the third one, CROCHET AND CAULDRONS, a lot. Sign up for Nancy's newsletter and you can download a prequel to this series here: https://nancywarren.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=cbdfe67e2fc355b2308c7dfd2&id=aa0a55027d

I have my copy but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I also read an oldie by Connie Shelton, BALLOONS CAN BE MURDER. I especially enjoyed this one because it is set in New Mexico, moving between Albuquerque, Clovis and Santa Fe. The main part of the book centers around the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon festival. https://balloonfiesta.com/

I'm currently reading Philip R. Craig's MURDER AT A VINEYARD MANSION. I'm about halfway through it - I'm enjoying it!

I did like the Philip R. Craig book and will keep an eye out for more books in his Vineyard series.

I also liked Con Lehane's MURDER AT THE 42ND STREET LIBRARY. It was darker than I expected and in some sections I had a little trouble keeping track of all the characters.

I need something lighter after this book, so I just started WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN?, a Dortmunder story. I'm a big fan of Westlake's books. I also love movies based on his books, like THE HOT ROCK and THE BANK JOB. I don't think either are on Netflix but I'm going to try YouTube. The film quality usually leaves something to be desired but I'll put up with it if it's the only way to see these old movies.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2020, 08:30:47 pm »
I can't keep up with you all. I just read an old book by Dorothy Cannell, published in 2000. It's called Bridesmaids Revisited. I know I've read books of hers before and I thought this would be kind of funny. It was a good mystery but not funny. The characters were interesting but it wasn't as good as I hoped.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I have a gift card so I might read a new book for a change.

I enjoy seeing what you are reading even though I don't comment all the time. I like the reviews, too.