Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 186583 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2020, 07:51:40 pm »
I finished the James R. Benn novel THE FIRST WAVE, the 2nd book in his Billy Boyle World War II mystery series. As with the first one, I really enjoyed the story.

I had this one checked out from the library before it was closed so I had plenty of time to read it since the library has yet to reopen.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2020, 02:21:23 am »
I finished the James R. Benn novel THE FIRST WAVE, the 2nd book in his Billy Boyle World War II mystery series. As with the first one, I really enjoyed the story.

I had this one checked out from the library before it was closed so I had plenty of time to read it since the library has yet to reopen.

I'll look for this when my library opens again. I'm in the mood for another novel set in this era. Have you read anything by Mark Mills? You might like Where Dead Men Meet.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2020, 06:14:03 am »

I'll look for this when my library opens again. I'm in the mood for another novel set in this era. Have you read anything by Mark Mills? You might like Where Dead Men Meet.

I have not read any work from Mark Mills so I will add WHERE DEAD MEN MEET to my list and try to check it out whenever the library reopens.

By the way, I'd suggest starting with the first book in the James R. Benn series called BILLY BOYLE first as stuff referenced in Book 2 was in Book 1.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2020, 03:18:15 pm »
I'll add Billy Boyle to my library list!

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2020, 04:46:28 am »
Read FAIR WARNING by Michael Connelly last weekend - it's not out for a few weeks yet but I got an advance copy. Very good, as usual - features the return of journalist Jack McEvoy and former FBI agent Rachel Walling (THE POET, THE SCARECROW) rather than being a Harry Bosch or Mickey Haller book.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2020, 09:37:31 am »
Read FAIR WARNING by Michael Connelly last weekend - it's not out for a few weeks yet but I got an advance copy. Very good, as usual - features the return of journalist Jack McEvoy and former FBI agent Rachel Walling (THE POET, THE SCARECROW) rather than being a Harry Bosch or Mickey Haller book.

I know that it isn't out yet but it is one of my most anticipated releases for this year.

I'm glad to see that you liked the story!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »

I know that it isn't out yet but it is one of my most anticipated releases for this year.

I'm glad to see that you liked the story!

Before I get to his new one, I have some catching up to do. I found a couple of Michael Connelly books in my to-be-read library, so I want to read those soon. Also found a couple of Lee Child books I want to read. Guess I'll have to toss a coin to see what book I'll read next!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2020, 05:27:30 am »
I finished reading the Sheila Connolly book A TURN FOR THE BAD. I did a brief write up on the book that you can read HERE!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2020, 05:00:34 pm »
I finished reading the Sheila Connolly book A TURN FOR THE BAD. I did a brief write up on the book that you can read HERE!

Your review makes me want to read this! I have a funny whiskey/whisky story but I'll save it for later.

I'm starting to make a dent in my to-be-read pile. Yesterday I read S.A. Lelchuk's SAVE ME FROM DANGEROUS MEN.

https://www.salelchuk.com/s-a-lelchuk.html

This is the first book in a series about investigator Nikki Griffin. This book reminds me a LITTLE of Zoe Sharp's Charlie Fox books. Both Charlie Fox and Nikki Griffin can take care of themselves. Both have issues with anger and self-control. In a fight, Zoe would win - she has military training and has learned her skills the hard way. Nikki would be a kick-ass opponent, but her ferocity is anger-driven and sometimes vengeance-driven.

I'm looking forward to more Nikki Griffin books and I'm always eager for more Charlie Fox books. I just noticed Zoe Sharp has a new series, but I'll probably have to wait until libraries reopen before I dig into those.

The book of the day is the late Jane Langton's NANTUCKET NOON. I'm not very far into it, but I've read several of her Homer Kelly books and so far I've liked them all.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2020, 06:25:51 pm »
Sounds interesting Becke.

I'm probably starting the new C.J. Box novel LONG RANGE next.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2020, 02:59:27 am »
I finished NANTUCKET NOON awhile ago and just picked AN ACT OF VILLAINY by Ashley Weaver as my next read. I've been following this series since the first book came out. It's hard to classify - a cozy of sorts. I like the timeframe, the Thirties. This is a new release. One of my favorite authors, Deborah Crombie, compares this series to Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness books, which I also like.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2020, 05:21:01 am »
I finished NANTUCKET NOON awhile ago and just picked AN ACT OF VILLAINY by Ashley Weaver as my next read. I've been following this series since the first book came out. It's hard to classify - a cozy of sorts. I like the timeframe, the Thirties. This is a new release. One of my favorite authors, Deborah Crombie, compares this series to Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness books, which I also like.

Do you read the Jungle Red Writers blog? Both Deborah and Rhys are members of the crew there. I'm over there on a mostly daily basis.

I'm also trying to read a couple of graphic novels. The first is OVER MY DEAD BODY by Jay Faerber and the other is SOLAR FLARE VOLUME 3: SARASOTA by James Haick III.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2020, 05:06:14 pm »

Do you read the Jungle Red Writers blog? Both Deborah and Rhys are members of the crew there. I'm over there on a mostly daily basis.

I'm also trying to read a couple of graphic novels. The first is OVER MY DEAD BODY by Jay Faerber and the other is SOLAR FLARE VOLUME 3: SARASOTA by James Haick III.

I used to go to Jungle Red all the time - a lot of great authors there. Now I don't get to my favorite blogs very often - not because I don't enjoy them, but because I'm just not on the computer has much as I used to. With kids out of school, my granddaughters are home almost all the time and I don't usually get online until after they've gone to bed. Right now they're walking the dog with their dad so it's quiet around here. :-)

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2020, 05:42:54 pm »

I used to go to Jungle Red all the time - a lot of great authors there. Now I don't get to my favorite blogs very often - not because I don't enjoy them, but because I'm just not on the computer has much as I used to. With kids out of school, my granddaughters are home almost all the time and I don't usually get online until after they've gone to bed. Right now they're walking the dog with their dad so it's quiet around here. :-)

The benefit of me being completely single and childless is that I get to do these things a lot more. :D

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2020, 11:01:22 pm »

The benefit of me being completely single and childless is that I get to do these things a lot more. :D

On the other hand, being in self-quarantine has to be pretty hard when you're on your own. :-(