Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 186467 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #300 on: January 17, 2021, 10:32:55 am »
I finished the James Grippando legal thriller TWENTY last night. I'll be submitting a review of the book to the magazine later today.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2021, 04:19:07 pm »
I'll look forward to reading your review! It's been cold and kind of gloomy the last few days, so I've done quite a bit of reading. I finished PRETTY AS A PICTURE by Elizabeth Little in less than 24 hours, then went on to read SPEAK NOW by Margaret Dumas the following day. And yesterday I was back to John Dunning - I finished THE HOLLAND SUGGESTIONS this morning. I enjoyed all of those books.

I'm not sure what today's book will be. I have another Margaret Dumas and another John Dunning, plus Matthew Quirk's NIGHT AGENT. My daughter gave me another book she just read - GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL by Aimee Molloy. I just realized I have another Ruth Ware book buried in that pile, too - THE TURN OF THE KEY. I've read all of her others and liked them, so odds are I'll like this one, too.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 19, 2021, 03:51:15 am »
You will love the Matthew Quirk book.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 19, 2021, 02:25:10 pm »
You will love the Matthew Quirk book.

That might be my next one. I started reading Robert Barnard's A HOVERING OF VULTURES last night. Unfortunately, my husband put ona movie he'd been wanting to see that I REALLY did NOT want to watch. Unfortunately, it's a big screen and he likes the volume up loud, so I got sucked into the movie in spite of myself. So frustrating! I don't like it when a whole day goes by and I haven't read a book. And SNOWPIERCER is really not my kind of movie. Oh well.

I will still read this one soon: https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-684-19625-1

So NIGHT AGENT wins the draw for today! Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 02:28:35 pm by Becke Davis »

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 19, 2021, 03:25:59 pm »
I'm just starting COLD WIND by Paige Shelton. I meant to start it yesterday but I got a headache and I decided to pass on reading at all last night.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 19, 2021, 09:48:18 pm »
I'm just starting COLD WIND by Paige Shelton. I meant to start it yesterday but I got a headache and I decided to pass on reading at all last night.

Was there a full moon last night? A blue moon? That might have been the only night in about a year that neither one of us read a book!!

BTW, I'm flying through THE NIGHT AGENT. You were right - sooo good!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2021, 03:49:31 am »
I'm glad you are liking THE NIGHT AGENT.

And yeah, it was weird that I did no reading the other night.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2021, 01:59:59 pm »

That book should come with a warning. I finished it at 3:30 a.m. WOW! He's the new Robert Ludlum.

Only thing - I woke up at 5 a.m. with the name of one character flashing in my head like it was on a movie marquee. I don't want to give any spoilers but this is going to drive me nuts. This morning I went through all the scenes with this character and my question still stands. Maybe this character is being saved for another book? Aauugghhhh!!!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 20, 2021, 02:35:20 pm »

That book should come with a warning. I finished it at 3:30 a.m. WOW! He's the new Robert Ludlum.

Only thing - I woke up at 5 a.m. with the name of one character flashing in my head like it was on a movie marquee. I don't want to give any spoilers but this is going to drive me nuts. This morning I went through all the scenes with this character and my question still stands. Maybe this character is being saved for another book? Aauugghhhh!!!

The only reason I didn't finish the book in one go is that I actually passed out in exhaustion. But I love the warning label idea for the book. You should check out his book from last year called THE HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2021, 11:54:41 pm »

The only reason I didn't finish the book in one go is that I actually passed out in exhaustion. But I love the warning label idea for the book. You should check out his book from last year called THE HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN.

Read that one already. I loved it!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 21, 2021, 12:02:15 am »
Okay - two issues with the Night Agent. The first involves a disappearing character - enough said about that one.

The other thing that is driving me nuts is a discussion about whether the flowering trees in D.C. are dogwoods or cherry trees. It's easy enough to confirm this - they are Japanese flowering cherries:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2012/03/01/all-about-the-cherry-blossoms/

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:03 am »
I took a brief break from mysteries last week to read the fifth volume of the comic strip For Better or for Worse: The Complete Library. The comic strip is my all-time favorite and when they announced they would be collecting it in these hardcover editions, I knew that I would be adding the pricey volumes to my bookshelves. My brief review of this volume can be read via this Goodreads link.

After that I dove into the David Baldacci thriller Daylight. It's the third in his Atlee Pine series and it is a phenomenal read. You can check out my review of that book via this Goodreads link.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2021, 04:38:58 pm »
Thanks for the links - I'm a Baldacci fan so I'm sure I'll be adding this one to my collection at some point. I have some old collections of Peanuts comic strips, my husband has a book of Far Side favorites and I have a couple collections of my favorites - Calvin and Hobbes.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2021, 03:25:30 pm »
I finished reading the Carlene O'Connor Irish Village mystery MURDER IN AN IRISH COTTAGE today. You can check out my thoughts via this Goodreads link.

Next up for me: I'll be starting EVERY WAKING HOUR by Joanna Schaffhausen. It's a good time to start the book considering today is her birthday.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2021, 04:06:27 pm »
I finished reading the Carlene O'Connor Irish Village mystery MURDER IN AN IRISH COTTAGE today. You can check out my thoughts via this Goodreads link.

Next up for me: I'll be starting EVERY WAKING HOUR by Joanna Schaffhausen. It's a good time to start the book considering today is her birthday.

I have a book by Joanna Schaffhausen that you recommended. Maybe I'll start that one today.

Yesterday I read DEATH LIGHTS A CANDLE, an Asey Mayo Cape Cod Mystery by Pheobe Atwood Taylor. Goodreads and others give it good reviews:

Death Lights a Candle
by Phoebe Atwood Taylor

3.76 · 119 Ratings · 18 Reviews · published 1932 · 6 editions

Asey Mayo fans, and newcomers, will have much to discover in Death Lights a Candle, with its special New England flavor and Cape Cod characters. As Marilyn Stasio, columnist for the New York Times writes, "Taylor's droll period whodunits are a special treat, thanks to the Codfish Sherlock, Asey Mayo, a salty Cape codger who entertains summer visitors by solving picturesque crimes."

I've been reading a lot of vintage mysteries lately, with mixed results. This one was written in 1932 and is set in the same year. One of the things that bugged me was probably accurate to that period - the woman who played the lead character complained that she couldn't follow any of the legalese related to the reading of the will, but commented that the men had no trouble at all. I'm really glad I wasn't born then.

I have Massachusetts and Vermont relatives who spend (or spent) a lot of time on the Cape, so it was interesting to read about it.

One period note - throughout the novel upstairs and downstairs were hyphenated. I wonder when that became old-fashioned?