Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 186566 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2020, 09:42:11 pm »
Who was the author of the book from 1996?

Susan Rogers Cooper.

I read Tess Gerrittsen for a few years back when she first started having books come out. But I haven't read any of her books in a good long while.

THE SILENT GIRL is a particular favorite of mine.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2020, 05:23:32 am »
Susan Rogers Cooper is a new name to me.

Right now, I'm working on a Murder, She Wrote mystery by Jon Land.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2020, 04:56:25 pm »
Susan Rogers Cooper is a new name to me.

Right now, I'm working on a Murder, She Wrote mystery by Jon Land.

She was a new name to me, too. Okay, about halfway through the book (HICKORY DICKORY STALK) I was ready to give up on it. But I plowed through to the end and the second half, while I didn't love it, was more satisfying than the first half. The ending was better than I expected. I'm not going to run out and look for more of her books, but I'm glad I made it to the end of this one.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2020, 09:32:51 am »
I finished reading THE PINT OF NO RETURN today. It's the 2nd book in Ellie Alexander's Sloane Krause mystery series. And I really did enjoy it. You can check out my full thoughts on this one via my Goodreads review.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2020, 01:16:44 pm »
I finished reading THE PINT OF NO RETURN today. It's the 2nd book in Ellie Alexander's Sloane Krause mystery series. And I really did enjoy it. You can check out my full thoughts on this one via my Goodreads review.

Okay, I'm intrigued! I'm not a big beer drinker, but I lived in Cincinnati for almost 20 years and went to Oktoberfest in Covington, KY several times. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check these out.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 11, 2020, 05:39:29 pm »
I read BEYOND A REASONABLE STOUT by Ellie Alexander. It's the third book in the Sloan Krause series. I loved the book and here's my Goodreads.com review.

The fourth book in the series just came out in hardcover yesterday. It's called WITHOUT A BREW. I want to read it but I'm probably going to have to wait until it comes out in paperback.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 12, 2020, 03:55:06 pm »
Had a great week of reading thusfar - started with CONSOLATION, the new one from Garry Disher, on the weekend. Then read THE SURVIVORS by Jane Harper (out in USA early 2021) then today and yesterday read STILL LIFE by Val McDermid

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 12, 2020, 04:22:31 pm »
Had a great week of reading thusfar - started with CONSOLATION, the new one from Garry Disher, on the weekend. Then read THE SURVIVORS by Jane Harper (out in USA early 2021) then today and yesterday read STILL LIFE by Val McDermid

Craig, is that new Jane Harper book part of her series or a standalone?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 14, 2020, 05:23:13 pm »

Thanks for sharing, Kiwi! Garry Disher is new to me but I've read books by Jane Harper and Val McDermid. I haven't read the books you mentioned, though.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2020, 02:01:34 am »
I did a kind of eeny-meeny-miney-mo and ended up reading (actually, re-reading) John Sherwood's THE HANGING GARDEN. I'm not very far into it but it's a fast read. So many books I want to get to!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2020, 06:57:51 pm »
I finished reading the new Michael Connelly book The Law Of Innocence. I haven't written my Goodreads review but I will say that I liked the book. However, there's a part of the plot tying it into the real world that kind of draws you out of the legal thriller aspect of the story.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2020, 11:11:56 pm »
I'm currently working on a re-read of the Eva Gates mystery Reading Up A Storm. It's the third book in her Lighthouse Library series.

I don't typically get to do a lot of re-reading but I joined the mystery book club at my local library and this is the book of the month. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and I still like it. I wasn't overly fond of the first two books in the series but this book is where I felt the main character FINALLY stopped being such a doormat.

I've got the fourth book in the series but haven't gotten around to reading that one yet.

I'm pretty sure READING UP A STORM is in my TBR pile. Right now, I'm thinking of warmer temperatures - I just started the fourth book in Robert Thorogood's Death in Paradise series. It's called MURDER IN THE CARIBBEAN - I love the TV series, and I've enjoyed all the books I've read in this series. (Which is all of them...)

https://www.goodreads.com/series/163560-death-in-paradise

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2020, 04:29:38 pm »
Sounds interesting, I will add it to my list to check out the first book to see if I like it.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2020, 01:54:48 am »
Sounds interesting, I will add it to my list to check out the first book to see if I like it.

I remember thinking the first book was very close to the series, which is not surprising since the author came up with the concept for the show and I think he wrote some of the scripts.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 11, 2020, 12:23:04 am »
I'm in the mood for hot chocolate and Christmas mysteries. I'm reading an old short story collection called Murder for Christmas, Volume 2. I like it because the stories are by a lot of authors from the old days. I've read books by a few of these authors, like Ngaio Marsh. Dorothy L. Sayers, Mary Roberts Rinehart and Nero Wolfe. I liked their stories. Some of the others were dry or dated or both, but overall I like this book.