Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 186487 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2020, 04:43:26 pm »
You should like that Paige Shelton book.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2020, 11:21:23 am »
You should like that Paige Shelton book.

All the Burke and Hare references were gruesome but interesting. Very different from what I expected!

I just started book 2 in this series: SILENT BUD DEADLY

https://www.hyhanna.com/books/the-english-cottage-garden-mysteries/silent-bud-deadly/

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2020, 06:17:49 pm »
I just picked up a couple of books at the bookstore today. I have three more coming in the mail. I'm about to start the 2nd book I got for review purposes though.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2020, 01:42:31 am »
I just picked up a couple of books at the bookstore today. I have three more coming in the mail. I'm about to start the 2nd book I got for review purposes though.

Okay, I'll bite - what are the books you got today?

I've had this book in my to-be-read pile for months, finally read it today. It was moody and twisty and I finished it before dawn. It's a win/win! I bought this book after reading about it in Mystery Scene.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2020, 03:54:29 am »
The two books that I picked up were THE ORPHAN'S GUILT by Archer Mayor and DEATH ON THE GREEN by Catie Murphy.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2020, 02:33:26 am »
The two books that I picked up were THE ORPHAN'S GUILT by Archer Mayor and DEATH ON THE GREEN by Catie Murphy.

My brother in Vermont is a huge fan of Archer Mayor. He used to give my Dad his new releases as soon as they came out. I've read a lot of them but they were sometimes too grim for me.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 04, 2020, 11:34:23 am »

My brother in Vermont is a huge fan of Archer Mayor. He used to give my Dad his new releases as soon as they came out. I've read a lot of them but they were sometimes too grim for me.

My dad read his books and before he died I bought St. Alban's Fire as a Christmas gift. But he never got a chance to read it. He willed the books to the neighbors across the street who were also from Vermont. But I refused to give them that particular book until I read it. I paid for it and I wasn't going to not have someone in my house read the darn thing! I read it and loved it and I've been reading him ever since. I've built up the library of the Archer Mayor books now through buying the new books as they came out and buying what I was missing over on eBay. I even got to meet the author once when he came to do a signing at my local library years ago.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 05, 2020, 07:08:27 pm »
With all the authors you've met and signings you've been to, you must have quite a collection of autographed books. Do you keep a record of what you have?

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 05, 2020, 07:13:39 pm »
Aaron Elkins has written a lot of mysteries, some with his wife. I only discovered his/their books a few years ago, and I like them a lot. I just finished DEAD MEN'S HEARTS, a Gideon Oliver mystery set in Egypt. It made me think of Agatha Christie's Egypt-set mysteries, and she is mentioned in the book. Today I started reading MURDER IN THE QUEEN'S ARMES, an earlier Gideon Oliver mysterty - it's set in England, where he and his wife are honeymooning. Their honeymoon is interrupted by murder and many calls on "the Skeleton Detective," a nickname Gideon loathes but can't shake.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2020, 03:55:09 am »
With all the authors you've met and signings you've been to, you must have quite a collection of autographed books. Do you keep a record of what you have?

I don't have a written record of the books I have that have been signed by the author. But I do know which books they are. Call it a mental checklist.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2020, 06:36:32 pm »

I don't have a written record of the books I have that have been signed by the author. But I do know which books they are. Call it a mental checklist.

I keep planning to computerize my library and my books-read list. I made a list on Barnes & Noble, which I haven't updated in at least 5 years, and a list I spent AGES on, which simply vanished when Amazon bought Shelfari. :-(

Anyway, I finished Aaron Elkins' MURDER IN THE QUEEN'S ARMES and I liked it a lot. I was tempted to read another Aaron Elkins book (I have several in my waiting-to-be-read pile), but instead I picked up an early book by Leeann Sweeny called A WEDDING TO DIE FOR. I've read some of her recent books and liked them, so I thought I'd go back in time. This book was written in 2005:
http://www.leannsweeney.com/a-wedding-to-die-for/  I'm enjoying it so far!

http://www.leannsweeney.com/a-wedding-to-die-for/

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 10, 2020, 08:58:03 pm »
I finished the Maddie Day mystery CANDY SLAIN MURDER today. I had started it yesterday and made sure to finish it today because I had a good day.

See, Maddie (AKA the great Edith Maxwell) was at the Barnes and Noble in Hyannis, MA today. She told me in advance she was going to be there so I drove down and after she signed the store's stock of her books, she took the time to sign the books I brought to have signed.

We were both properly masked and distanced of course, but it was great to see her and finish off my collection (until her next book anyway) of signed copies of her work.

She posted about it on her personal FB page today and made mention of the fact I write for the magazine.

These are the two pics she posted:

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2020, 09:57:56 pm »
What fun! No sooner did I complete part of my Edith collection (I still need to read her Quaker midwife series) than she comes out with a new book! I haven't been to B&N in at least a month - I don't think our local branch is doing any signings yet. A lot of stores in Eugene are still closed.

I just started THE TRUTH SLEUTH by Jacqueline Seewald. I've known her online for years but have never met her in person.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2020, 06:25:03 am »
What fun! No sooner did I complete part of my Edith collection (I still need to read her Quaker midwife series) than she comes out with a new book! I haven't been to B&N in at least a month - I don't think our local branch is doing any signings yet. A lot of stores in Eugene are still closed.

I just started THE TRUTH SLEUTH by Jacqueline Seewald. I've known her online for years but have never met her in person.

Becke, it wasn't an official signing event or anything. They aren't doing anything like that. She was down on the Cape and her publisher arranged for her to go to the store and sign their stock. Given that one of her series is set on the Cape, signed copies of the books in that series in particular makes sense. This was a totally unofficial thing and Edith was kind enough to inform me that she'd be there since she knew I'd love to have my books signed. As you can see by the pic of me, we even made sure to sign outside of the store rather than inside.