Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 186560 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2020, 04:02:00 am »
I finished reading two books for review purposes. They were Jennifer Greer's debut thriller A DESPERATE PLACE and Ellen Hart's IN A MIDNIGHT WOOD.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2020, 12:07:12 pm »
I finished reading two books for review purposes. They were Jennifer Greer's debut thriller A DESPERATE PLACE and Ellen Hart's IN A MIDNIGHT WOOD.

Will those reviews appear in Mystery Scene or some other publication? I received an advance copy of Sara Paretsky's short story collection, LOVE AND OTHER CRIMES. I've been in the mood for short stories so I want to dig into that one next.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »

Will those reviews appear in Mystery Scene or some other publication? I received an advance copy of Sara Paretsky's short story collection, LOVE AND OTHER CRIMES. I've been in the mood for short stories so I want to dig into that one next.

I haven't gotten the edits back yet, but assuming they are accepted they would be in the next issue of Mystery Scene. They are the only publication I write for (not counting when I do my own personal reviews on my Goodreads page).

I am hoping to pick up that Sara Paretsky book soon. I am getting the new Kristen Lepionka book ONCE YOU GO THIS FAR on Friday.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2020, 03:09:10 pm »
I finished reading Maddie Day's NACHO AVERAGE MURDER today. I haven't written up a Goodreads review yet but I'll add it here once I do.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2020, 10:38:58 pm »

I've read and liked books by both of those authors.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2020, 09:10:29 am »
My daughter gave me a Book of the Month club mystery that she liked. I stayed up until dawn reading it. Very spooky! HOME BEFORE DARK by Riley Sager.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2020, 03:55:16 am »
You can check out my write up on Maddie Day's NACHO AVERAGE MURDER via this Goodreads link.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2020, 12:35:45 am »
I've got so many books waiting to be read, I'm getting a little frantic! Yesterday I read G. M. Malliet's IN PRIOR'S WOOD. I've read a couple books in her Max Tudor series and I've liked them all.

Now I'm almost finished with DEATH AT BEACON COTTAGE by Betty Rowlands - the second book I've read by this author. I love her covers!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2020, 08:18:01 am »
That is a pretty eye-catching cover for sure.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2020, 07:15:49 pm »

I've got a collection of thatched cottages and paintings of thatched cottages, so I feel like I should just frame her books!

I finished this one and I'm halfway through another one of Edith's books - A TINE TO LIVE, A TINE TO DIE.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2020, 09:05:04 am »

I've got a collection of thatched cottages and paintings of thatched cottages, so I feel like I should just frame her books!

I finished this one and I'm halfway through another one of Edith's books - A TINE TO LIVE, A TINE TO DIE.

I finished Matthew Betley's thriller RULES OF WAR last night.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2020, 07:13:30 pm »

I finished Matthew Betley's thriller RULES OF WAR last night.

Your reviews are dangerous to me. I'm now hooked on Michael Stanley's Kubu books - I have a couple in my waiting-to-be-read pile but I want to read all of Edith's books first. At least, all that are sitting on my desk. I really enjoyed A TINE TO LIVE, A TINE TO DIE. When I started to read it I forgot it was the first book in the series. It was funny to see characters I knew from the later books being introduced. I often read series books out of order - I do like to go back to the beginning so I can find out the background of the various characters and their relationships.

I'm not a farmer - flowers, shrubs and trees are more my speed - but I'm cringing when plants are sabotaged. It's weird, but the murder at the beginning of the book didn't bother me as much as the "planticides."

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2020, 03:50:21 am »

Your reviews are dangerous to me. I'm now hooked on Michael Stanley's Kubu books - I have a couple in my waiting-to-be-read pile but I want to read all of Edith's books first. At least, all that are sitting on my desk. I really enjoyed A TINE TO LIVE, A TINE TO DIE. When I started to read it I forgot it was the first book in the series. It was funny to see characters I knew from the later books being introduced. I often read series books out of order - I do like to go back to the beginning so I can find out the background of the various characters and their relationships.

I'm not a farmer - flowers, shrubs and trees are more my speed - but I'm cringing when plants are sabotaged. It's weird, but the murder at the beginning of the book didn't bother me as much as the "planticides."

Well, I'm glad that my reviews are getting someone to buy books! I prefer to read the series in order if I can.

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2020, 07:02:38 am »
I've had a pretty terrific run of reading lately, with a lot of great new/upcoming books (some for review for Mystery Scene + others where I was sent ARCs etc, and others which I've just grabbed off my shelf), which is lovely given all the uncertainty and strange times we're living through.

I'd happily and heartily recommend any of these:

- BLACKTOP WASTELAND by SA Cosby
- WE ALL LOOK THE SAME IN THE DARK by Julia Heaberlin
- HINTON HOLLOW DEATH TRIP by Will Carver
- THE SHADOW FRIEND by Alex North (aka THE SHADOWS in the United States)
- THE GIRL IN THE MIRROR by Rose Carlyle
- THE BRIGHT LANDS by John Fram
- THE THURSDAY MURDER CLUB by Richard Osman

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2020, 03:20:05 pm »
I've had a pretty terrific run of reading lately, with a lot of great new/upcoming books (some for review for Mystery Scene + others where I was sent ARCs etc, and others which I've just grabbed off my shelf), which is lovely given all the uncertainty and strange times we're living through.

I'd happily and heartily recommend any of these:

- BLACKTOP WASTELAND by SA Cosby
- WE ALL LOOK THE SAME IN THE DARK by Julia Heaberlin
- HINTON HOLLOW DEATH TRIP by Will Carver
- THE SHADOW FRIEND by Alex North (aka THE SHADOWS in the United States)
- THE GIRL IN THE MIRROR by Rose Carlyle
- THE BRIGHT LANDS by John Fram
- THE THURSDAY MURDER CLUB by Richard Osman

I've been seeing a lot of talk about the SA Cosby book and that Alex North book interests me as well.