Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 186577 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2020, 08:15:56 am »
Wow Becke,

I hope everyone around you gets healthy soon. That's some awful news to read about for sure.

The review of the Jenn McKinlay book can now be seen HERE!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2020, 02:04:06 am »
Wow Becke,

I hope everyone around you gets healthy soon. That's some awful news to read about for sure.

The review of the Jenn McKinlay book can now be seen HERE!

I also like books about books, so your review is either going to make yet another dent in my bank account OR I'm going to need to bring some heavy duty bags on my next trip to the library. (Whenever it opens, that is!)

Thanks for the recommendation!

KiwiCraig

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2020, 07:13:39 am »
Read A GATHERING DARK by Candice Fox (new LA-set dark tale from award-winning Australian author), very good) and WALLEYE JUNCTION by Karin Salvalaggio (third in her Montana-set Macy Greeley series, a few years old, enjoyable read) this week.

Now onto A CRACK IN THE WALL by Claudia Pineiro, the bestselling Argentinean crime writer. Promising thusfar.

Best wishes and kind thoughts for you and your family Becke. Hope the coming days bring good news.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2020, 08:54:52 am »
Craig, I've never read that Karin Salvalaggio series but I'm going to check it out to see if it might be something I might like to read.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2020, 10:30:12 pm »
Read A GATHERING DARK by Candice Fox (new LA-set dark tale from award-winning Australian author), very good) and WALLEYE JUNCTION by Karin Salvalaggio (third in her Montana-set Macy Greeley series, a few years old, enjoyable read) this week.

Now onto A CRACK IN THE WALL by Claudia Pineiro, the bestselling Argentinean crime writer. Promising thusfar.

Best wishes and kind thoughts for you and your family Becke. Hope the coming days bring good news.

I love learning about all these authors I hadn't come across before. When the library reopens, my card is going to be smoking!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2020, 10:39:27 pm »
Jay - I don't remember if you specifically recommended Maddie Day's MURDER ON CAPE COD or if I just randomly selected it, but I am enjoying it. My brother and sister-in-law live in New England and spend a lot of time at Cape Cod. My uncle used to go there a lot, too. I've spent a lot of time in New England but I've never been to Cape Cod or anyplace on the New England coast.

My son and both of my brothers love to travel by bike, and bike rentals (Divvy Bikes) were very popular in Chicago, where we used to live. There are bike rental programs here in Eugene, too. I follow another cozy mystery series that involves a bike rental business - Duffy Brown's Cycle Path mysteries. I've read two of them and I think the third one comes out this summer.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2020, 05:36:49 am »
Jay - I don't remember if you specifically recommended Maddie Day's MURDER ON CAPE COD or if I just randomly selected it, but I am enjoying it. My brother and sister-in-law live in New England and spend a lot of time at Cape Cod. My uncle used to go there a lot, too. I've spent a lot of time in New England but I've never been to Cape Cod or anyplace on the New England coast.

My son and both of my brothers love to travel by bike, and bike rentals (Divvy Bikes) were very popular in Chicago, where we used to live. There are bike rental programs here in Eugene, too. I follow another cozy mystery series that involves a bike rental business - Duffy Brown's Cycle Path mysteries. I've read two of them and I think the third one comes out this summer.

I'm not sure if I recommended Maddie Day's MURDER ON CAPE COD specifically either. I just flat out recommend reading all of the books written by Edith Maxwell under her name or the Maddie Day pseudonym. She's just a fantastically entertaining writer in my opinion.

I live just off the Cape but tend to avoid going over the bridge much at all, particularly from late May to mid-September when it is tourist season and the traffic is a disaster at best.

I'm glad you are enjoying the series. And book 2, MURDER AT THE TAFFY SHOP, is even better!

Currently I'm reading Sheila Connolly's ROTTEN TO THE CORE, the 2nd book in her Orchard Mystery series. I bought a cheap used copy off of eBay because I really didn't want to wait for the stores to reopen to read the next book in the series.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2020, 11:01:31 am »
I've found some used books at online Goodwill stores. I feel a little guilty because I know buying used books doesn't put money in the author's pocket. At least it doesn't directly - but, on the other hand, if I discover an author or a series by reading a used book, I can almost guarantee I'll be buying some new books as I read the rest of the series (or the author's backlist).

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2020, 07:39:43 pm »
I've found some used books at online Goodwill stores. I feel a little guilty because I know buying used books doesn't put money in the author's pocket. At least it doesn't directly - but, on the other hand, if I discover an author or a series by reading a used book, I can almost guarantee I'll be buying some new books as I read the rest of the series (or the author's backlist).

I don't have the feeling of guilt that you have when I buy used books. But like you, I do buy the author's new books if I like what I read from the used purchases. I balance it out so I am good with that.

Oh, and I finished ROTTEN TO THE CORE. Here's what I thought of the book.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2020, 10:09:21 pm »

I don't have the feeling of guilt that you have when I buy used books. But like you, I do buy the author's new books if I like what I read from the used purchases. I balance it out so I am good with that.

Oh, and I finished ROTTEN TO THE CORE. Here's what I thought of the book.

Thanks for the link to your review. I'm looking forward to reading this series now. I must admit, I go a little bananas when I find misused words in a book. I notice typos/misspellings but I hope those are printing errors rather than neglect on the part of the author or publisher.

I try to forget this type of error - if I dwell on it I know it will drive me up the wall. I occasionally receive Advance Reader Copies and I'm assuming you (as a reviewer) receive a lot more than I do. I've learned to be very forgiving of ARCs - often they will have a number of errors that are corrected by the official publishing date. I feel sorry for authors when there are errors not of their doing - that must be so frustrating!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2020, 09:39:12 am »

Thanks for the link to your review. I'm looking forward to reading this series now. I must admit, I go a little bananas when I find misused words in a book. I notice typos/misspellings but I hope those are printing errors rather than neglect on the part of the author or publisher.

I try to forget this type of error - if I dwell on it I know it will drive me up the wall. I occasionally receive Advance Reader Copies and I'm assuming you (as a reviewer) receive a lot more than I do. I've learned to be very forgiving of ARCs - often they will have a number of errors that are corrected by the official publishing date. I feel sorry for authors when there are errors not of their doing - that must be so frustrating!

The advance copies are always uncorrected so I expect mistakes there. I just thought it was perversely funny that a couple of wrong words made it through every stage of editing. I don't dwell on it when I'm reading the book, I just thought it would make a nice little sidenote in the review. It didn't affect whether or not I liked the story though.

Meanwhile, I might be going back to work starting Monday so I'm going to work on getting one more book read before the end of the week. Once I go back, my reading time will obviously be cut down.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2020, 11:20:00 pm »

The advance copies are always uncorrected so I expect mistakes there. I just thought it was perversely funny that a couple of wrong words made it through every stage of editing. I don't dwell on it when I'm reading the book, I just thought it would make a nice little sidenote in the review. It didn't affect whether or not I liked the story though.

Meanwhile, I might be going back to work starting Monday so I'm going to work on getting one more book read before the end of the week. Once I go back, my reading time will obviously be cut down.

My reading time has mostly been cut down by school and day care being closed. My son and daughter-in-law are teaching classes online, so Marty and I try to keep the girls occupied when our help is needed. Not complaining - I feel so sorry for parents and grandparents who don't live near their kids and grandkids. My daughter only lives a mile away and I still wish I could see her more.

At least we've had some wonderful warm weather so we've all been able to spend time outdoors, but this week the weather has turned cooler and very rainy. That's good for preventing wildfires, but not so good for playing and/or reading outside. :-(

I hope all of you are managing to read and relax during this time of social distancing. I wonder how authors will work the pandemic into their mystery plots?

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2020, 07:49:31 am »

I hope all of you are managing to read and relax during this time of social distancing. I wonder how authors will work the pandemic into their mystery plots?

I kind of hope they don't. Or maybe mention it in passing as if it is already over in the fictional world.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2020, 12:59:36 am »

I'm almost finished with MURDER ON CAPE COD and I want to comment on one character in particular - Belle, the African Gray Parrot. I've never had a pet bird, but several years ago I read a fascinating book by an author I've met, Jenny Gardiner, called "Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me."  It's been re-released with the title "Bite Me: A parrot, a family, and a whole lot of flesh wounds." I'm curious about Bella, who is more entertaining than vicious, and I wonder who Edith/Maddie modeled her on.

Okay, got to go - I'm determined to finish this book tonight!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2020, 07:41:52 am »

I'm almost finished with MURDER ON CAPE COD and I want to comment on one character in particular - Belle, the African Gray Parrot. I've never had a pet bird, but several years ago I read a fascinating book by an author I've met, Jenny Gardiner, called "Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me."  It's been re-released with the title "Bite Me: A parrot, a family, and a whole lot of flesh wounds." I'm curious about Bella, who is more entertaining than vicious, and I wonder who Edith/Maddie modeled her on.

Okay, got to go - I'm determined to finish this book tonight!

You could always go on Facebook and ask her. :D