Author Topic: My latest read is...  (Read 186580 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: My latest read is...
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2020, 08:08:28 am »

On the other hand, being in self-quarantine has to be pretty hard when you're on your own. :-(

Only if you are a socially active person who needs other people around. While there are those that fit that description. That's not me. I'm good alone, which probably explains why I'm single and childless as well. LOL

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2020, 03:18:47 pm »

On the other hand, being in self-quarantine has to be pretty hard when you're on your own. :-(

Only if you are a socially active person who needs other people around. While there are those that fit that description. That's not me. I'm good alone, which probably explains why I'm single and childless as well. LOL

I had to laugh when I read this. I always thought that if we hadn't married young (we were 19) my husband might have become a hermit or a monk. He married an uber-extrovert from a big family, so every holiday and family get-together was a trial for him. We only had two kids and he handled that pretty well (except when they had birthday parties or brought all their friends over). Now we live with our son and his wife and our two grandkids. My daughter-in-law and I are both the oldest of five kids so a noisy house is nothing new to us. It's taken my husband a little longer to get used to the daily chaos, especially since we started quarantining ourselves in mid-March. He misses his (former) quiet time at local coffee shops.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2020, 08:21:48 pm »

I had to laugh when I read this. I always thought that if we hadn't married young (we were 19) my husband might have become a hermit or a monk. He married an uber-extrovert from a big family, so every holiday and family get-together was a trial for him. We only had two kids and he handled that pretty well (except when they had birthday parties or brought all their friends over). Now we live with our son and his wife and our two grandkids. My daughter-in-law and I are both the oldest of five kids so a noisy house is nothing new to us. It's taken my husband a little longer to get used to the daily chaos, especially since we started quarantining ourselves in mid-March. He misses his (former) quiet time at local coffee shops.

I can be a people person, if it is on my terms. If I have to deal with people on their terms, I'm usually far less interested in being involved.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2020, 12:04:10 am »

I can be a people person, if it is on my terms. If I have to deal with people on their terms, I'm usually far less interested in being involved.

When we lived in Cincinnati, we had a small room we called my husband's "meditation room." I wouldn't mind a room where I could shut myself in to read or write, but that's not going to happen.

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
A Vicky Hill Exclusive! by Hannah Dennison
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2020, 12:57:25 am »
I read a cozy mystery about a reporter over the weekend. I was a little confused by the title at first. The cover shows a graveyard and a veiled woman dressed in black but the title A Vicky Hill Exclusive! didn't sound like the title of a mystery. It turns out the amateur detective has hopes of a front page feature with a by-line and throughout the book she imagines various headlines.

This is the first book of a new series, and I think it's the author's first book. Her name is Hannah Dennison (her name might have drawn me to this book).

I didn't realize this book was written in 2008 and the author has written lots of books and a couple of series since this came out. Now I don't know what to read next. Her website gives me a lot of choices.

https://www.hannahdennison.com/

JRob

• View Profile
Re: A Vicky Hill Exclusive! by Hannah Dennison
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2020, 06:39:56 am »
I read a cozy mystery about a reporter over the weekend. I was a little confused by the title at first. The cover shows a graveyard and a veiled woman dressed in black but the title A Vicky Hill Exclusive! didn't sound like the title of a mystery. It turns out the amateur detective has hopes of a front page feature with a by-line and throughout the book she imagines various headlines.

This is the first book of a new series, and I think it's the author's first book. Her name is Hannah Dennison (her name might have drawn me to this book).

I didn't realize this book was written in 2008 and the author has written lots of books and a couple of series since this came out. Now I don't know what to read next. Her website gives me a lot of choices.

https://www.hannahdennison.com/

I haven't heard of this author or series before so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2020, 06:42:14 am »
Meanwhile, I finished the first book in the Sheila Connolly Orchard Mysteries series, ONE BAD APPLE. You can see what I thought HERE!.

I also finished the graphic novel thriller OVER MY DEAD BODY by Jay Faerber. I wrote up a review of that too. You can check it out HERE!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2020, 02:21:30 pm »
Meanwhile, I finished the first book in the Sheila Connolly Orchard Mysteries series, ONE BAD APPLE. You can see what I thought HERE!.

I also finished the graphic novel thriller OVER MY DEAD BODY by Jay Faerber. I wrote up a review of that too. You can check it out HERE!

I'll go read your reviews now, but I have to say, that's a dangerous pastime for me. I usually end up ordering copies online.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2020, 04:02:36 pm »
I definitely want to read ONE BAD APPLE now - the other book might be a little scary for me!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2020, 08:29:48 pm »
I definitely want to read ONE BAD APPLE now - the other book might be a little scary for me!

Yeah, I don't think the graphic novel would be something you'd be interested in. I hope you like ONE BAD APPLE.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2020, 10:40:05 am »
I don't do it often, but I'm actually reading two books at the same time right now. It's weird for me because I like to read one at a time to keep the stories straight but for some reason I just felt like reading the new C.J. Box and the first book in Jenn McKinlay's Library Lovers mystery series and couldn't decide which one should come first so I just started reading both of them.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2020, 05:13:34 am »
I ended up just plowing through the C.J. Box thriller LONG RANGE. I had left off about a third of the way through the book on Tuesday. When I picked it up on Wednesday, the plan was to alternate with the other book I was reading. But I got so into the naturally flowing narrative that I couldn't put it down until I was finished.

You can check out my brief thoughts on the book HERE!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2020, 05:44:01 pm »
This doesn't sound like a book I would normally read, but your review is intriguing. I'll put it on my library list for later.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2020, 06:51:12 pm »
I finished the Jenn McKinlay mystery Books Can Be Deceiving tonight. I haven't written up a review of it yet but I quite enjoyed it and I'm glad I've got the next few books in the series in my TBR pile(s) waiting to be read.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2020, 12:52:46 am »

I used to go to Jungle Red all the time - a lot of great authors there. Now I don't get to my favorite blogs very often - not because I don't enjoy them, but because I'm just not on the computer has much as I used to. With kids out of school, my granddaughters are home almost all the time and I don't usually get online until after they've gone to bed. Right now they're walking the dog with their dad so it's quiet around here. :-)

The benefit of me being completely single and childless is that I get to do these things a lot more. :D

I finished the Jenn McKinlay mystery Books Can Be Deceiving tonight. I haven't written up a review of it yet but I quite enjoyed it and I'm glad I've got the next few books in the series in my TBR pile(s) waiting to be read.

I'm not making much progress reading this week. I'm still working on DOUBLE LIFE by Flynn Berry - I like it but every time I start reading the phone rings or there's some kind of emergency. So far this week my husband was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia and my daughter was rushed to the hospital with a possible heart attack. Her blood pressure spike to a scary number but it after a ton of tests they don't think it was a heart attack. They are still waiting for test results but her BP went way down and they discharged her. So I'm a little flaky and unfocused today. What a week!

I'm also looking forward to a couple of cozies in my waiting-to-be-read pile.