Author Topic: My Top 10 Mysteries & Thrillers of 2020!  (Read 17924 times)

JRob

• View Profile
My Top 10 Mysteries & Thrillers of 2020!
« on: December 31, 2020, 04:33:27 pm »
I've just finished writing my article on my Top 10 Mysteries & Thrillers of 2020. If anyone cares to check it out, it's posted on my home away from home on the Internet, the Classic Rock Bottom message board. Here's the DIRECT LINK.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My Top 10 Mysteries & Thrillers of 2020!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:47:56 am »
Well, I knew before I clicked on your post that it would be expensive for me. I've ordered a couple of your recommendations, and preordered another. I think I have Carlene O'Connor's book in my to-be-read pile, and, after reading your review of Matthew Quirk's book(s), I thought his name rang a bell. No wonder- I bought HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN when you mentioned it earlier in the year, and it's been buried in a bin of waiting-to-be-read books that I just upended this morning to see what I was missing. The only books on your list I've read were the ones by Maddie Day and Margaret Dumas.

Two of my favorite mysteries this year were Hank Phillippi Ryan's MURDER LIST and THE LAST FLIGHT by Julie Clark. THE SILENT PATIENT was a favorite, too, but that came out in 2019 and I was just slow to read it.

Authors I discovered this year and have since become hooked on:

Nancy Warren, particularly her Vampire Knitting Club series

Sulari Gentill - I've read two of her novels, and have two more waiting to be read

Maddie Day and Margaret Dumas (both mentioned above): I've read almost all of Maddie Day/Edith Maxwell's books now, and all of Margaret Dumas' movie palace mysteries. Two of Margaret Dumas' Charley Fairfax mysteries are in my waiting-to-be-read pile. If she has written anything else, I'll be adding those, too.

Hannah Dennison has written the Vicky Hill series and the Honeychurch Hall books. I've read one from each series and have more in my waiting to be read pile.

Michael Stanley - I've been familiar with his books for a long time but got hooked on his books this year.

Elly Griffiths - I had read one or two of her books, but after reading a feature about her in Mystery Scene, I started collected as many of her books as I could find. I've read several of them and really enjoyed them. I still have a few left in my waiting-to-be-read pile. I'm reading as fast as I can!

Now I have a question for any of you - I'm interested in a 2019 book called THE GHOST MANUSCRIPT by Kris Frieswick. It's a mystery with paranormal elements. The reviews I've read are so varied, I can't get a good feel for the book. I have so many books already in my waiting-to-be-read pile, it's not like I NEED to add another book to it. But I like King Arthur stories, I'm not averse to ghosts, and I like puzzles and quests. Have any of you read this book? I'd value your opinions. Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:43:06 am by Becke Davis »

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 08:00:45 am »
Well, I knew before I clicked on your post that it would be expensive for me. I've ordered a couple of your recommendations, and preordered another. I think I have Carlene O'Connor's book in my to-be-read pile, and, after reading your review of Matthew Quirk's book(s), I thought his name rang a bell. No wonder- I bought HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN when you mentioned earlier in the year, and it's been buried in a bin of waiting-to-be-read books that I just upended this morning to see what I was missing. The only books on your list I've read were the ones by Maddie Day and Margaret Dumas.

Now I have a question for any of you - I'm interested in a 2019 book called THE GHOST MANUSCRIPT by Kris Frieswick. It's a mystery with paranormal elements. The reviews I've read are so varied, I can't get a good feel for the book. I have so many books already in my waiting-to-be-read pile, it's not like I NEED to add another book to it. But I like King Arthur stories, I'm not averse to ghosts, and I like puzzles and quests. Have any of you read this book? I'd value your opinions. Thanks!

Well that's some high praise from you Becke, to order three books because I recommended them. Thanks...and I'm sorry to your wallet.  :)

As for the Kris Frieswick book, you are going to find this funny. I own the book. I haven't read it yet but I met the author at a store signing when the book was released and got my copy signed. It sounds great and if I can ever get through my pile of books I'm hoping to actually get to reading it someday. But her talk was excellent and I'd say go for it!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 06:47:41 pm »
Thanks - it will make a change if I finish a book before you do! I think I will give this one a try.

I'm back to a book a day right now. Yesterday I read another Nancy Warren Vampire Knitting Club book, I think it was number 8. I only have two more to go but luckily she has written other books. I enjoy the way she writes so I think I'll like her other series, too.

And today I read Matthew Quirk's HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN. I agree with you - it's a knock out! I want to read more of his books but I'm torn whether to read THE NIGHT AGENT or a book from one of his other series, maybe COLD BARREL ZERO or one of the Mike Ford books (The 500 and THE DIRECTIVE). I know you liked THE NIGHT AGENT. Is that the one you'd recommend?

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:08:54 pm »

And today I read Matthew Quirk's HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN. I agree with you - it's a knock out! I want to read more of his books but I'm torn whether to read THE NIGHT AGENT or a book from one of his other series, maybe COLD BARREL ZERO or one of the Mike Ford books (The 500 and THE DIRECTIVE). I know you liked THE NIGHT AGENT. Is that the one you'd recommend?

I would absolutely recommend THE NIGHT AGENT. It was my favorite book of 2019.

By the way, of the 13 authors that I spotlighted in my article for this year, I've heard from 11 of them either on Facebook or Twitter. They've said thanks, retweeted and/or shared the article and some have started following me on Twitter. One even said that I was going to be at the top of their list for an advance copy when their next book came out. So that was kind of cool.

I don't go looking for that kind of stuff but it is nice to be appreciated enough that they share an article that is clearly not from an established website or anything.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:45:26 am »

I would absolutely recommend THE NIGHT AGENT. It was my favorite book of 2019.

By the way, of the 13 authors that I spotlighted in my article for this year, I've heard from 11 of them either on Facebook or Twitter. They've said thanks, retweeted and/or shared the article and some have started following me on Twitter. One even said that I was going to be at the top of their list for an advance copy when their next book came out. So that was kind of cool.

I don't go looking for that kind of stuff but it is nice to be appreciated enough that they share an article that is clearly not from an established website or anything.

How exciting! Authors are my kind of celebrities. I get very excited when an author friends me on Facebook!

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 03:37:28 pm »

How exciting! Authors are my kind of celebrities. I get very excited when an author friends me on Facebook!

Oh, and I discovered the attached on Leonard Goldberg's Facebook page. It is the banner photo on the page and that's a line from my review.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 02:51:38 am »

Oh, and I discovered the attached on Leonard Goldberg's Facebook page. It is the banner photo on the page and that's a line from my review.

How exciting! (That's the book I preordered.)

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 04:56:11 pm »
Oh, and I just found out that the paperback edition of Matthew Quirk's HOUR OF THE ASSASSIN, which came out in January 2021  included a pull quote from my review!