Author Topic: Elly Griffiths  (Read 10271 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Elly Griffiths
« on: November 29, 2020, 03:07:00 pm »
I had read a couple Elly Griffiths books some time back, but I'd forgotten about her until Mystery Scene did a feature on her several months ago. Since then I've been rebuilding my collection of her books. I'm especially enjoying the "Magic Men" books. I just finished NOW YOU SEE THEM, which featured a lot of characters I remember from other books, plus a few new ones. The book is set in 1964, and I got a kick out of reading about Mods and Rockers, Top of the Pops (with the Beatles topping the charts), and other things I remember from my youth - even though in the Sixties I had never lived anywhere more exotic than Chicago and its suburbs.

I've got a few more books from this series in my waiting-to-be-read pile. I can only handle the chaos of the holidays if I also block out time for reading. Hoping to make a dent in the humongous TBR pile, but it's slow going so far.

What books are you reading? Do you have books on your Christmas list? (Or any kind of holiday wish list?)

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Elly Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 07:00:48 pm »
I have not read Elly Griffiths before so I can't offer much in the way of an opinion.

I did just start reading THE CIPHER by Isabella Maldonado. It's the first book in a new series from the author.

As for Christmas list books, a friend of mine asked if there was a book I was looking to get so I told her Paige Shelton's COLD WIND. It's the 2nd book in her Alaska Wild series and it is due out December 1st. Beyond that, I really don't get many people getting me gifts anymore so I don't really have any kind of list.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 11:08:02 pm »
I have not read Elly Griffiths before so I can't offer much in the way of an opinion.

I did just start reading THE CIPHER by Isabella Maldonado. It's the first book in a new series from the author.

As for Christmas list books, a friend of mine asked if there was a book I was looking to get so I told her Paige Shelton's COLD WIND. It's the 2nd book in her Alaska Wild series and it is due out December 1st. Beyond that, I really don't get many people getting me gifts anymore so I don't really have any kind of list.

True, it's really only my kids and husband who get gifts for me anymore. The aunts and uncles and grandparents who used to have all passed on. And my brothers and sisters and I don't exchange gifts anymore - we concentrate on the grandkids.

Thanks for the recommendation. I like Paige Shelton and haven't read that series. I'll check it out, although I shouldn't really add more books to the every-growing TBR pile until I make a dent in it.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 04:28:17 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation. I like Paige Shelton and haven't read that series. I'll check it out, although I shouldn't really add more books to the every-growing TBR pile until I make a dent in it.

My review of the first book, THIN ICE, can be read HERE!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 01:58:16 am »

My review of the first book, THIN ICE, can be read HERE!

Great review - I'm intrigued, but I'm nervous it might be a little too scary for me. It does sound like an interesting premise.