Author Topic: Top 10 Agatha Christie  (Read 15731 times)

AgathaC

• View Profile
Top 10 Agatha Christie
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:35 am »
This is my Top 10 list of Agatha Christies:

(I prefer Miss Marple to Poirot)

A Murder is Announced
The Moving Finger
Nemesis
Murder at the Vicarage
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
The ABC Murders
4:50 from Paddington
Sleeping Murder
Murder for Christmas
The Body in the Library

Brian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Agatha Christie
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:41:31 pm »
AgathaC,

It's hard to argue with any list of Agatha Christie books, but I'm more a Poirot fan:

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Lord Edgware Dies
Towards Zero
And Then There Were None
The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Nemesis
Evil Under the Sun
Peril at End House
The Man in the Brown Suit
Appointment with Death

Kate Stine, Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:00:40 pm »
Hi AgathaC,
Agatha Christie's own Top Ten with comments is below.

AGATHA CHRISTIE'S FAVORITES OF HER OWN NOVELS

And Then There Were None – a difficult technique which was a challenge and so I enjoyed it, and I think dealt with it satisfactorily.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - a general favourite.

A Murder is Announced – I thought all the characters interesting to write about and felt I knew them quite well by the time the book was finished.

Murder on the Orient Express – again because it was a new idea for a plot.

The Thirteen Problems – a good series of stories.

Towards Zero – I found it interesting to work on the idea of people from different places coming towards a murder, instead of starting with the murder and working from that.

Endless Night – my own favourite at present.

Crooked House – I found a study of a certain family interesting to explore.

Ordeal By Innocence - an idea I had had for some time before starting to work upon it.

The Moving Finger – which I have re-read lately and enjoyed reading it again, very much."

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 01:06:57 pm »
Hi AgathaC,

And Then There Were None – a difficult technique which was a challenge and so I enjoyed it, and I think dealt with it satisfactorily.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - a general favourite.

A Murder is Announced – I thought all the characters interesting to write about and felt I knew them quite well by the time the book was finished.

Murder on the Orient Express – again because it was a new idea for a plot.

The Thirteen Problems – a good series of stories.

Towards Zero – I found it interesting to work on the idea of people from different places coming towards a murder, instead of starting with the murder and working from that.

Endless Night – my own favourite at present.

Crooked House – I found a study of a certain family interesting to explore.

Ordeal By Innocence - an idea I had had for some time before starting to work upon it.

The Moving Finger – which I have re-read lately and enjoyed reading it again, very much."

I find it interesting that her current favorite, ENDLESS NIGHT, is one of my least favorites. It was one of the first Christie books my sister read, though, and now she's hooked. I guess we all have different taste in books!

I'm going to have a really hard time coming up with a top ten list, but here goes (not in order):

1. PARKER PYNE, DETECTIVE - I love these short stories and wish they would televise them.

2. CROOKED HOUSE - I even like the televised version with Glenn Close.

3. A PALE HORSE - A nice twisty - and creepy - plot.

4. NEMESIS - An interesting take on a love story.

5. CARDS ON THE TABLE - This one made me wish I knew more about bridge. (My parents played, back in the day.)

6. THE TUESDAY CLUB MURDERS aka THE THIRTEEN PROBLEMS - I love short stories, and this collection is brilliant!

7. THE GOLDEN BALL AND OTHER STORIES - This was my first introduction to Agatha Christie's paranormal side.

8. TOWARDS ZERO

9. THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE

10. THE MOVING FINGER

Okay, I'm going for a top 15:

11. A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED

12. SLEEPING MURDER

13. MURDER IS EASY aka EASY TO KILL

14. CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS

15. THE SITTAFORD MYSTERY aka MURDER AT HAZELMOOR

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 10:13:04 pm »
Hi AgathaC,

And Then There Were None – a difficult technique which was a challenge and so I enjoyed it, and I think dealt with it satisfactorily.

A Murder is Announced – I thought all the characters interesting to write about and felt I knew them quite well by the time the book was finished.

Towards Zero – I found it interesting to work on the idea of people from different places coming towards a murder, instead of starting with the murder and working from that.

Ordeal By Innocence - an idea I had had for some time before starting to work upon it.

The Moving Finger – which I have re-read lately and enjoyed reading it again, very much."

I find it interesting that her current favorite, ENDLESS NIGHT, is one of my least favorites. It was one of the first Christie books my sister read, though, and now she's hooked. I guess we all have different taste in books!

I'm going to have a really hard time coming up with a top ten list, but here goes (not in order):

1. PARKER PYNE, DETECTIVE - I love these short stories and wish they would televise them.

5. CARDS ON THE TABLE - This one made me wish I knew more about bridge. (My parents played, back in the day.)

6. THE TUESDAY CLUB MURDERS aka THE THIRTEEN PROBLEMS - I love short stories, and this collection is brilliant!

7. THE GOLDEN BALL AND OTHER STORIES - This was my first introduction to Agatha Christie's paranormal side.

8. TOWARDS ZERO

10. THE MOVING FINGER

12. SLEEPING MURDER

Hi AgathaC,

8. TOWARDS ZERO

10. THE MOVING FINGER

12. SLEEPING MURDER

Every time I think I've settled on my favorites, I think of another one. MRS. MCGINTY'S DEAD should definitely be on my list!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:37:28 pm »
I seem to remember a post about our favorite Tuppence and Tommy actors and actresses. I was very surprised to come across this one:

"1950 'The Case of the Missing Lady' starred future president Ronald Reagan & Cloris Leachman as Tommy & Tuppence. 1983-1984 James Warwick & Francesca Annis were Tommy & Tuppence Beresford, husband & wife sleuths in the British television series 'Partners in Crime'. 2006 saw Anthony Andrews & Greta Scacchi in 'By the Pricking of My Thumbs' as Tommy & Tuppence. In 2015 David Walliams & Jessica Raine reprised the roles for one six-part series for the novels 'The Secret Adversary' & 'N or M?'."

https://www.pinterest.com/janetthorpe16/agatha-christie-tommy-tuppence/

Scroll down at this link to see images of all the Tuppence-and-Tommy pairings, including Ronald Reagan and Cloris Leachman. Wouldn't it be fun if that one could be repeated on television?