Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!  (Read 9743 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Happy Thanksgiving!
« on: November 25, 2020, 02:06:15 am »
Will Thanksgiving be a day of relaxation, reading and watching football, or are you the designated cook for your Thanksgiving meal?

At our house, my husband and son will no doubt be rooting for the Oregon Ducks and/or the Cincinnati Bengals. (Not sure who will be playing.) My son and daughter-in-law love to cook and they are preparing the meal. Marty and I are contributing the dessert. My daughter contributed a couple boxes of groceries (donated by her employer). She has to work but we will bring a meal over to her.

The only people sharing the meal this year will be members of our household. Sad not to have more of the family but safer this way.

I hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 03:52:33 am »
The Bengals? Wow, talk about being a masochist.  ;D

After my dad died, my mom taught me how to cook and I started doing the vast majority of cooking on Thanksgiving too. After she died, I really don't do much cooking at all anymore.

I've been invited to a family friend's place the last three years but thanks to the pandemic, I won't be able to sit down to dinner with them this year. However, they are making up a plate for me that I will pick up and bring home to eat. It's not bad since I spend a lot of time alone anyway. At least I'll have a nice meal, because they make a huge amount of food. I'm picking up an apple pie from a place this afternoon and I have most of the other stuff (meaning everything except turkey and potatoes) already here at the house.

I'll be watching some football but I'll also be taking advantage of Xfinity's free TV week. Starz, Epix and AcornTV are all free from yesterday through Nov. 30th. I've found two movies to watch, plus season 2 of Mystery Road.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 03:07:27 am »
The Bengals? Wow, talk about being a masochist.  ;D

After my dad died, my mom taught me how to cook and I started doing the vast majority of cooking on Thanksgiving too. After she died, I really don't do much cooking at all anymore.

I've been invited to a family friend's place the last three years but thanks to the pandemic, I won't be able to sit down to dinner with them this year. However, they are making up a plate for me that I will pick up and bring home to eat. It's not bad since I spend a lot of time alone anyway. At least I'll have a nice meal, because they make a huge amount of food. I'm picking up an apple pie from a place this afternoon and I have most of the other stuff (meaning everything except turkey and potatoes) already here at the house.

I'll be watching some football but I'll also be taking advantage of Xfinity's free TV week. Starz, Epix and AcornTV are all free from yesterday through Nov. 30th. I've found two movies to watch, plus season 2 of Mystery Road.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else!

Yeah, I'm afraid my son (the Bengals fan) would agree with you. When they win it's a big occasion, but it doesn't happen very often. On the other hand, the Ducks have been on a winning streak lately!

My husband has been watching that mystery show with Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman. I'll probably watch it at some point but I wanted to read today. I've been going back and forth between two books:

1) Carlene O'Connor, Maddie Day and Alex Erickson's CHRISTMAS COCOA MURDER

2) Elly Griffith's NOW YOU SEE THEM, which is one of her Brighton mysteries. The waiting-to-be-read pile is laughing at my attempts to make a dent in it.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 08:05:29 am »
That CHRISTMAS COCOA MURDER collection of novellas was really good. I have my copy signed by Maddie Day.

You must have quite a collection of autographed books! I am enjoying this book - perfect to read in front of the fire.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:37:32 pm by Becke Davis »