Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes Pastiches  (Read 9383 times)

JRob

• View Profile
Sherlock Holmes Pastiches
« on: November 21, 2020, 07:35:01 am »
I know that there is no shortage of non-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories on the bookshelves these days. Do you have any particular favorites?

I've always loved the Laurie R. King stories that focus on Mary Russell and an older Sherlock. But there's so many series that it is impossible to keep up with everything.

I know that Nicholas Meyer has written a couple of books in this particular field. I've heard they are pretty good but haven't gotten a chance to read them yet. Leonard Goldberg has a Daughter of Sherlock Holmes series that is doing well. I recently reviewed one.

Yesterday I picked up a couple of books by James Lovegrove. He's written a number of books but SHERLOCK HOLMES & THE CHRISTMAS DEMON came out in paperback recently while SHERLOCK HOLMES & THE BEAST OF THE STAPLETONS came out in hardcover. I got both of them and I'm going to look forward to reading them.

My local comic shop has been getting prose novels in recently and there's another Sherlock Book that came in last week by Sam Siciliano that seems pretty interesting. I put that on hold for next week.

I've noticed that the local B&N's shelves for all these Holmesian books are seemingly all filed with the Doyle books, regardless of author alphabetical order.  I can't imagine the hell that must play for people that don't know that in advance.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sherlock Holmes Pastiches
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:06 am »
I know that there is no shortage of non-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories on the bookshelves these days. Do you have any particular favorites?

I've always loved the Laurie R. King stories that focus on Mary Russell and an older Sherlock. But there's so many series that it is impossible to keep up with everything.

I know that Nicholas Meyer has written a couple of books in this particular field. I've heard they are pretty good but haven't gotten a chance to read them yet. Leonard Goldberg has a Daughter of Sherlock Holmes series that is doing well. I recently reviewed one.

Yesterday I picked up a couple of books by James Lovegrove. He's written a number of books but SHERLOCK HOLMES & THE CHRISTMAS DEMON came out in paperback recently while SHERLOCK HOLMES & THE BEAST OF THE STAPLETONS came out in hardcover. I got both of them and I'm going to look forward to reading them.

My local comic shop has been getting prose novels in recently and there's another Sherlock Book that came in last week by Sam Siciliano that seems pretty interesting. I put that on hold for next week.

I've noticed that the local B&N's shelves for all these Holmesian books are seemingly all filed with the Doyle books, regardless of author alphabetical order.  I can't imagine the hell that must play for people that don't know that in advance.
-------------------------------------

I've read several of the Mary Russell books and liked them a lot. I have more in my waiting to be read pile, along with a couple of Sherry Thomas' Lady Sherlock books: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/LSS/the-lady-sherlock-series

It drives me crazy when B&N does things like that. It also disappoints me when they have such a limited selection of mystery authors. I wish they would sell both new and used books. It worries me when they don't stay near the top of their game. I would really hate to see them go out of business.

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:43:31 am »
I don't see Barnes and Noble ever selling used books. And I don't think that would be a good idea for them anyway.

But I do wish they'd do a better job of keeping stuff in stock. I've gone looking for a number of books to start reading when I discover a new-to-me author and they rarely have the first book in the series available on the shelf.

I have the Sherry Thomas books on my want list as well.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 03:57:46 pm »
I don't see Barnes and Noble ever selling used books. And I don't think that would be a good idea for them anyway.

But I do wish they'd do a better job of keeping stuff in stock. I've gone looking for a number of books to start reading when I discover a new-to-me author and they rarely have the first book in the series available on the shelf.

I have the Sherry Thomas books on my want list as well.

I don't think B&N will, either, but I love it when stores - like Powells in Portland, and like Bookends & Beginnings in the Chicago area - sell both new and used books.