Author Topic: A DECLINE IN PROPHETS by Sulari Gentill  (Read 8003 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A DECLINE IN PROPHETS by Sulari Gentill
« on: October 16, 2020, 12:22:42 am »
I don't remember how I learned about this author but I thought her Rowland Sinclair series sounded interesting. I found a used copy of A DECLINE IN PROPHETS and found it particularly interesting because she weaves real people amid fictional characters throughout the story. My husband has always enjoyed Krishnamurti's books and he is also familiar with the Theosophical Society whose presence looms large in this plot.

In addition to Krishnamurti and members of the Theosophical Society who have important roles to play, there is a small part played by a little-known British actor living in New York, name of Archie Leach. He later changed his name to Cary Grant!. :-)

The actress Marion Davies also has a small part.

I'm only about half way through this book, but I'm definitely enjoying it. Only one thing annoys me. The back cover blurb has incorrect information, identifying the victim of the first murder by name (I don't want to know that before I even open the book). But the problem was, the person they mention as the first victim is actually the third. There was no reason to name this person at all!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A DECLINE IN PROPHETS by Sulari Gentill
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 03:30:41 pm »
I often get engrossed in books and stay up late reading, especially since coronavirus keeps us housebound so much. But last night I didn't get to the end of A DECLINE IN PROPHETS until 5:30 a.m.! My husband woke up at 5, saw I was still reading and just shook his head and went back to sleep. I'm looking forward to reading more books in this series!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A DECLINE IN PROPHETS by Sulari Gentill
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 03:20:56 pm »
I broke down and bought a new copy of the first book in this series. It was originally published as A FEW RIGHT THINKING MEN by Poison Pen Press. The edition I have is entitled A HOUSE DIVIDED and is published by Sourcebooks. There is an introduction by the fabulous Rhys Bowen. Whichever version you find, it's the first book in her Rowland Sinclair series.

I did a sort of "eeny meenie miney mo" to pick my current read. I'm really enjoying this series. It was serendipity that I found the first book I read by this author in a used book store. I've been to several since then and haven't found anything by Sulari Gentill - not in this series or her others.