Author Topic: Lovejoy books by Jonathan Gash  (Read 9335 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lovejoy books by Jonathan Gash
« on: November 08, 2020, 02:59:37 am »
My mother was a huge fan of antiques AND of Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy, an antiques "divvy" who starred in a number of mysteries and a series of TV shows. I think I've seen all the TV shows and I've read a lot of the books. I came across a couple of these books in a used book store last week, and I'm currently reading one that is new to me. It's called THE TEN WORD GAME. So far it's good, but I've been hooked on the election counts for several days and have hardly read at all. I'm now about halfway through it. I've got a couple more books I'm eager to read so I hope to finish this one tomorrow.

What are you all reading?

JRob

• View Profile
Re: Lovejoy books by Jonathan Gash
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:31:43 am »
The last time I was at a bookstore called New England Mobile Book Fair for a book signing, I got there early and was taking a look around for potential books to purchase.

I discovered a particular display on a shelf's endcap that had quite a number of the Lovejoy books. I ALMOST made a massive purchase that day because I remember the TV series from a long time ago and thought it might be nice to read some of the original stories. But because they didn't have the earliest books in the series and I like to start from the beginning, I ended up not picking up any of them.

That might come back to bite me in the butt because thanks in equal parts of the store losing their location and the continuing coronavirus pandemic, they've effectively gone out of business. So having access to a number of ON-HAND titles is no longer a thing for me.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 01:29:56 pm »
I don't often come across Lovejoy books in bookstores, new OR used. It just breaks my heart when bookstores go out of business. Back when Borders was still around, my husband and I used to make regular visits to Ann Arbor, MI because there were so many fabulous bookstores there. Shortly before we moved to Chicago, we made another visit there, and were devastated to find some of our favorite stores had closed.

The killer happened just weeks before we moved, when we had too much going on to manage a final visit. That was when Aunt Agatha's closed. The last day they were open, everything left in the store was FREE. We already gave away 1500 books before we moved, and brought more than 70 cartons of books with us. But, believe me, I would have made room for more!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2018/08/24/aunt-agathas-mystery-bookshop-closing-ann-arbor/1073037002/

Back to Lovejoy. Here is a list of the Lovejoy books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovejoy_(novel_series)

The other one I picked up is MOONSPENDER. I don't remember reading either of these, but I have read a lot of the books in this series already. My mom had most - if not all - of them, and I read everything she had. I occasionally came across early editions in the library, too. (This year's library sale was cancelled because of coronavirus. I sure hope it's back next year!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:34:04 pm by Becke Davis »

JRob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 08:12:13 pm »
I don't often come across Lovejoy books in bookstores, new OR used. It just breaks my heart when bookstores go out of business. Back when Borders was still around, my husband and I used to make regular visits to Ann Arbor, MI because there were so many fabulous bookstores there. Shortly before we moved to Chicago, we made another visit there, and were devastated to find some of our favorite stores had closed.

The killer happened just weeks before we moved, when we had too much going on to manage a final visit. That was when Aunt Agatha's closed. The last day they were open, everything left in the store was FREE. We already gave away 1500 books before we moved, and brought more than 70 cartons of books with us. But, believe me, I would have made room for more!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2018/08/24/aunt-agathas-mystery-bookshop-closing-ann-arbor/1073037002/

Back to Lovejoy. Here is a list of the Lovejoy books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovejoy_(novel_series)

The other one I picked up is MOONSPENDER. I don't remember reading either of these, but I have read a lot of the books in this series already. My mom had most - if not all - of them, and I read everything she had. I occasionally came across early editions in the library, too. (This year's library sale was cancelled because of coronavirus. I sure hope it's back next year!)

Thanks for the list of the Lovejoy books.

My local library is still closed other than curbside pickup. The Friends of the Library did manage to put on the monthly book sales for August, September and October but they were held outside and always started and ended while I was still at work. The one time it rained on the regular day and it moved to the next day, I did go but there was nothing that I wanted so it was almost entirely a wasted trip. I did donate some unwanted books so at least I cleared some space in the house that day.