Author Topic: Mark your calendars - Agatha Christie's 130th Birthday on Sept. 15!  (Read 19016 times)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
September 15, 2020 marks what would have been Agatha Christie's 130th birthday. Let's celebrate by re-reading a favorite or two, and maybe watching a TV show or movie based on one of her books.

I mentioned months ago that my son gave me a birthday gift - a visit to a hotel on the Pacific Coast where we will be staying in their Agatha Christie suite. We delayed our visit, hoping coronavirus would be a thing of the past by summer's end. As it turns out, our timing will be perfect for celebrating Dame Agatha's birthday. Now if only the weather holds...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:55:50 pm by Becke Davis »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mark your calendars - Agatha Christie's 130th Birthday on Sept. 15!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 03:32:20 pm »
Our favorites and least favorites are totally subjective and may change over time. Some books I didn't like at all when I first read them don't bother me now. My favorites tend to stay the same, but I frequently add to it.

What are your favorite Agatha Christie novels and/or short stories?

I love all the short story collections but my favorites are PARKER PYNE INVESTIGATES, THE GOLDEN BALL AND OTHER STORIES and  THE THIRTEEN PROBLEMS (aka THE TUESDAY CLUB MURDERS)

As to the novels, this is a list of my current favorites:

MURDER IS EASY

THE 4:50 FROM PADDINGTON (aka WHAT MRS. MCGILLICUDDY SAW!)

MRS. MCGINTY'S DEAD

CARDS ON THE TABLE

A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED

TOWARDS ZERO

PERIL AT END HOUSE

THREE ACT TRAGEDY

THE CLOCKS

N OR M?

CROOKED HOUSE

What are your least favorite Agatha Christie short stories and/or novels?

I'm not fond of ENDLESS NIGHT, but I think that is my sister's all time favorite.

MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES

THE BIG FOUR

POSTERN OF FATE

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE is one of Christie's most popular books, but it's not a favorite of mine. (Just another reason to ignore recommendations and just read what appeals to you. Reviews are helpful in deciding what books are up your alley, but beware of spoilers.)

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 03:43:42 pm »
From Agatha Christie.com:

"2020 marks 100 years since the publication of Agatha Christie’s first novel, The Mysterious Affair at Styles – the book that introduced Hercule Poirot to the world. We’re celebrating 100 years of Agatha Christie stories with a host of activities and events for readers, viewers, listeners and fans. Join us as we celebrate what we love about the Queen of Crime, her timeless stories and her unique characters.

This year sees the release of Sophie Hannah’s new Poirot novel The Killings at Kingfisher Hill, as well as the big screen launch of Death on the Nile with Kenneth Branagh and an all-star cast, so you can expect plenty of exciting news and updates too. Read on to find out more. We’ll keep you updated on our website, and on social media using #100YearsofChristie."

https://www.agathachristie.com/100-years?utm_source=Agatha+Christie+Newsletter+Master+List&utm_campaign=25327945f7-Agatha_Christie_Newsletter_September_2020&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e436c51fda-25327945f7-27816085

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 02:22:07 am »
Most of my Agatha Christie's are paperback or book club editions. I love the early hardcover editions, especially the artwork on the dust jackets!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:30:55 pm »
Do any of you have one or more of the old editions with these cool dust jackets?

I also love the old Dell paperbacks that have maps on the back covers. Here's an example:

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 01:32:16 pm »
Here's another one:

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 01:36:41 pm »

Hannah Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 03:46:47 pm »
Happy Birthday, Dame Agatha!

I haven't read all her stories, not even close, but I do have at least five or six of her paperbacks. I have Murder on the Orient Express, which I read after I saw the movie. It was complicated and kind of hard to keep track of everyone, but I liked it.

I also read A Murder is Announced, and I thought of that book today because of the cake, Delicious Death. Seems like that would be the perfect birthday cake for an Agatha Christie dinner party.

I like to watch the TV shows based on Agatha Christie mysteries. I think my favorite detective in her books is Poirot.

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 05:43:56 pm »
Happy Birthday, Dame Agatha!

I haven't read all her stories, not even close, but I do have at least five or six of her paperbacks. I have Murder on the Orient Express, which I read after I saw the movie. It was complicated and kind of hard to keep track of everyone, but I liked it.

I also read A Murder is Announced, and I thought of that book today because of the cake, Delicious Death. Seems like that would be the perfect birthday cake for an Agatha Christie dinner party.

I like to watch the TV shows based on Agatha Christie mysteries. I think my favorite detective in her books is Poirot.

A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED is a favorite of mine because I picked up on a couple of clues early on. That was a tricky one to solve!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 07:50:32 pm »

I don't know who owns the copyright on this - it was the only photo I could find of Agatha celebrating a birthday. As shy as she was, I doubt if she really enjoyed big birthday parties.

P.S. In this age of coronavirus, doesn't the idea of blowing out the candles on the cake before sharing it with guests seem a little preposterous now?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:43:00 pm by Becke Davis »

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 07:32:45 pm »
I'm excited - this book came in the mail today:

THE KILLINGS AT KINGFISHER HILL by Sophie Hannah (writing in the style of Agatha Christie)

https://www.harpercollins.com/products/the-killings-at-kingfisher-hill-sophie-hannah?variant=32118119170082

When these faux-Poirot books were first published, I avoided them on principle. I don't really like the idea of people carrying on a series once the original author has died. What first changed my mind was when I read a new take on Robert Parker's Spencer books and was surprised at how good it was.

Then I received an advance copy of one of Sophie Hannah's Poirot books and was pleasantly surprised. Since then I've read each new addition to the Sophie Hannah/Poirot books. I'm looking forward to reading this one!

Becke Davis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 04:09:13 pm »
My son, the college professor, has recently rediscovered his childhood love of video games. My granddaughters are having a blast playing Mario, Mario Kart and other games we used to have. (They have been greatly improved, apparently.)

Anyway, my son saw an ad for some Agatha Christie video games and he sent me this link. After reading the horrible reviews and watching the samples here, I think I can give this a miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h0txOfjPms

I know there are other Agatha Christie video games. Have any of you tried them? What do you think?